Telephone identities?

Paratrinque

I use an I-phone.

I frequently receive nuisance calls such as 119 which I can of course ignore. However, I have received a number of calls with "unknown" as the identity, naturally I ignore them.

I have recently received a number of calls which are purportedly from places as diverse as Chicago and NYC USA, at least one of which used the Int'l code +63, Phillipines in my estimation.

Others do not have international codes and many give either numbers which are identical to Thai Mobile numbers, or give a series of "0000" as the identity.

Due to the large number of spam and scam calls which are occurring at present, can nyone throw light on why or how the correct code and number does not appear?

When questioned, i.e. to a caller who said he was calling from Japan, his explanation was, "I do not know how your Thai telephone system works."

Any suggestions?

unless the phone number is my "phone book" and I recognise who it is, I dont answer,  I got fed up with used car salesmen  finanical advisors from certain companies who shall remain nameless, but you know who you are, calling me all the time.

fact is most people have an email address along with the phone number these days and if it was something important from a number I dont know, they will email, or alternatively an SMS to the number, telling me who it was calling.... no SMS or email, couldnt have been that important...

[...]
Due to the large number of spam and scam calls which are occurring at present, can nyone throw light on why or how the correct code and number does not appear?

Cold Calling Centers, like those in Chiang Mai, have special business deals with telephone service providers that allows them to 'spoof' their number and Caller ID info.

Some of the Call Centers also keep a database of numbers where people have answered (picked up) their call and sell that 'active list' to affiliate accounts that use their service.

I've been very lucky not to have anyone ringing up or texting my AIS number. I only answer calls from known numbers, and tell people to call me twice in a row if they call from a different number if they want me to answer answer.

On official paper work I list my number and the number of a Thai friend.  They usually have better luck getting good answers out of my Thai friend anyway, so this works out well for me and them. 

Go to Phone> Recents> scroll to the number you don't want to hear from> then click on little blue i to the right in a circle, then scroll down to bottom and click on Block Caller.

I kept getting calls from a +000000 number. Not any more. :-)

You could also try googling "who called me". You enter the number and can find out if it is a cold caller.

Might not work in Asia though.

Edited by phetphet
  • Like 1