Low cost Thai Smile airline inaugurates first flight at Don Mueang

webfact

Low cost Thai Smile airline inaugurates first flight at Don Mueang
By Digital Content

14074847017222.jpg

BANGKOK, Aug 8 -- The low cost airline, Thai Smile, a subsidiary of Thailand's national flag carrier, Thai Airways International (THAI) officially launched its first flight and services earlier today.

The airline expressed satisfaction, as it has been well received by the public and reservations for each flight are booked at more than 90 per cent.

The inauguration ceremony took place this morning at Don Mueang Airport, and was attended by THAI, Thai Smile, and Nok Air executives.

According to THAI Senior Executive Vice President for Commercial, Suraphon Israngura Na Ayuthya, Thai Smile has brought three domestic routes to Don Mueang, including three flights each for the Don Muang-Chiang Mai and Don Mueang-Khon Kaen routes, and two flights for the Don Mueang-Phuket route.

The low cost carrier was promoting cheap air tickets prior to its official launching today, which was well received by the general public, with more than 90 per cent of each flight already reserved.

THAI and all of its subsidiary airlines will move their bases of operations to Don Muang International Airport in October, and the group plans to create flight schedules which complement one another.

The company believes that the market for services at Don Mueang would expand further in the near future and that more passengers would opt to choose Thai Smile for their journeys. (MCOT online news)

[tna]2014-08-08[/tna]

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The low cost airline, Thai Smile, a subsidiary of Thailand's national flag carrier, Thai Airways International (THAI) officially launched its first flight and services earlier today

"first flight" ?  I would have sworn that they had been flying for a year or so ? ! wink.png

THAI and all of its subsidiary airlines will move their bases of operations to Don Muang International Airport in October,

But surely THAI will remain hubbed at Swampy, where their Star-Alliance partners and most other international services go, or is this really the major strategic change, which it appears to be ?

I suspect dodgy reporting  ...  surely THAI wouldn't retreat entirely to DMK from BKK ? blink.png

Had this reporting to be seen as true, I cannot for the life of me believe Thai Airways International would switch to DMK.

Had they announced this as fact, it would have been a major TOPIC, not a piece that sort of states Smile are now operating from DMK along with Quote "Thai and its subsidiary airlines ???

Clarification on this one please  ----------------or is Thai trying a last desperate move to save money.

OK Air Asia fill in the slots and move back to Swampy.

• Like 1

Im sure Thai Airways is not moving back to DMK, though i was there last week and there were quite a few Thai airways widebodies sitting on the southern end of the airport, they must do maintenance there or use them for cargo hauling or something

The airport was very busy, loads of AA, Nok Air, Dragon Air a320s and 737s landing and taking off constantly

• Like 1

Im sure Thai Airways is not moving back to DMK, though i was there last week and there were quite a few Thai airways widebodies sitting on the southern end of the airport, they must do maintenance there or use them for cargo hauling or something

The airport was very busy, loads of AA, Nok Air, Dragon Air a320s and 737s landing and taking off constantly

Could they be the Thai International A 340-400s that are gathering dust, the loss making airline that will not sell for less than the book price, and therefore lose the lot for scrap in the end.

Just to add, we as in me and the other poster read the topic as saying Thai + were moving to DMK in October, and would like this confirmed, or even re-vamp the topic.

Yes, they were a340s, (330 lookalikes but with 4 engines) and 747s (probably cargo)

OK  I had an idea they were still there---well spotted mate.  we had no follow up after a Middle east  prince was wanting to buy 1 but Thai wanted top book.

They are supposedly classed as gas guzzlers, but on long haul BUSY certain routes they still would be useful, but they need filling.  Lovely aircraft to fly in-I used to travel Sri Lanka in these planes, direct from London.   Very fast aircraft.  pity really they couldn't be used for some sort of charter flights where you can normally fill these.

But we still await re-confirm that Thai are moving to DMK. ????

Edited by ginjag

Quite clear that Thai smile will operate from DMK like the other low-cost airlines and Thai airways will remain at Swampy

Yep, definetely a typo/misunterpretation. Thai Airways will of course stay at Suv.

Its all about the relatively new low cost carrier.

Nice propaganda machine to claim that this move is "well received by the general public".

How do they know?

It has been announced 8 (!!!) days before the move took place.

Its a damn downgrade.

There have at least two threads about the move to DMK.

Two fellows were forced to change their travel plans to reach their international connections.

Now from Khon Kaen only two remaining flights to Suv.

Worse than in the 1990s.

DMK is a joke.

I can only hope that bus operators like Bell Bus will return with their service to DMK in the near future.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 2

Air Asia X said last december they are thinking about flying a333s from DMK to Paris and London, they have several more a333s on order and have ordered the new a350 also

There are monopolies on KL to Auckland and BKK to Auckland by MAS and Thai airways, id like to see one of those routes shaken up by AAX

Also Bangkok to Sydney

Bangkok to Sydney is operated by 3 different airlines at the moment (used to be 4 before British Airways pulled out of the route, only flying London-Bangkok return and Qantas similarly is now only doing Sydney-Bangkok return rather than continuing onto London).

Thai Smile will come unstuck badly on this move which pitches Air Asia flying the same routes for less money.

Thai' s edge was flying to Suvarnabhumi where foreign tourists got a quick connection to the world.

Now they are going to be faced with a bus trip between both airports that probably will take longer than the flight.
  • Like 1

Thai Smile will come unstuck badly on this move which pitches Air Asia flying the same routes for less money.

Thai' s edge was flying to Suvarnabhumi where foreign tourists got a quick connection to the world.

Now they are going to be faced with a bus trip between both airports that probably will take longer than the flight.

It's only a handful of flights that have relocated to DMK.  The remainder will continue serving BKK.

We now have 10 flights daily to/from Khon Kaen - 5 with Thai Smile, 3 with AirAsia, and 2 with NokAir - all going to Don Mueang.  Was nice before when Thai Air went to Suvarnabhumi - then one had a choice of which airport to go to and also had a few extra kilos baggage allowance.  Oh well, guess they don't look at the extra cost for passengers getting a taxi from DM instead of Swampy going to Bangkok or even down to Pattaya.  If Thai Air/Smile wanted to save some money, they could just stop serving "food" on flights of less than 2 hours.

They only intend to move Thai Smile to DM NOT Thai Air. And another thing about Thai Smile, they took over from Thai Air at Khon Kaen but their prices never changed they charge the same price as Thai Air did most times 2,000BT one way. So where is the budget Thai Smile prices.

Poor Nok Air. Never got the respect of big brother Thai. Now Thai has a new little brother.

It's taking 3 of them to combat the A.Asia business.    While some posters say negative things about A.Asia, these 3 are taking them seriously.

Thai could not do it alone then Nok, now Smile.  That is how bad (haha) A.Asia is.

Thai are stupid to have Smile to not connect to International BKK.   Strategy from the brainless Thai Management.

Now all we want is A.Asia to Europe from DMK,  that will upset the national carrier.   Go for it A.A.

It wouldn't be low cost if connected to Suvanabumi, because this airport charges so much for landing/service that the tickets would be way too expensive.

The new airport is way too expensive to operate, specially with all the corruption (Thaksins other sister is supplying almost everything).

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Air Asia X said last december they are thinking about flying a333s from DMK to Paris and London, they have several more a333s on order and have ordered the new a350 also

There are monopolies on KL to Auckland and BKK to Auckland by MAS and Thai airways, id like to see one of those routes shaken up by AAX

Also Bangkok to Sydney

Air Asia X were doing KL - London until a few years ago but pulled the route as there was a bit of conflict with MAS and they were losing Money. You would say though that BKK- london would be a much busier route and Fernandez would not be competing with his own national airline

I Can't quite see what difference it really makes to which airport They fly to and from in Bangkok.Don Mueang airport is connected by shuttle bus or the main railway station so it doesn't make a lot of difference.I (myself) am most certainly " not in a rush " It must be noted that flights to Chiang Mai will need to be very cheap to try and compete with Thai Lion Air - I flew a few months back at just 600 baht ( inc 15 KG of free luggage ) I thought that price was " rather reasonable " wouldn't you agree viewers..? coffee1.gif 

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Also Bangkok to Sydney

Air Asia X were doing KL - London until a few years ago but pulled the route as there was a bit of conflict with MAS and they were losing Money. You would say though that BKK- london would be a much busier route and Fernandez would not be competing with his own national airline

Just imagine the new A350 and the other wide bodied due, they were to start with a UK non stop flight,  Thai with their older aircraft and inflated prices would be off that route in no time.

To add to that the super service -Emirates/Etihad--having a stop and change, A Asia would grab a big % of their customers.

If Lufthansa can charge 31,000 baht  BKK to LHR --I am booked with them, surely Air Asia could do the same and fill their aircraft.

I booked last month with Lufthansa, Thai was 46,000 baht--2 week duration and a promotion--stupid.   Emirates /Etihad-about the same price at 42,000 baht  but good service.   just saying.

• Like 1

Also Bangkok to Sydney

Just imagine the new A350 and the other wide bodied due, they were to start with a UK non stop flight,  Thai with their older aircraft and inflated prices would be off that route in no time.

To add to that the super service -Emirates/Etihad--having a stop and change, A Asia would grab a big % of their customers.

If Lufthansa can charge 31,000 baht  BKK to LHR --I am booked with them, surely Air Asia could do the same and fill their aircraft.

I booked last month with Lufthansa, Thai was 46,000 baht--2 week duration and a promotion--stupid.   Emirates /Etihad-about the same price at 42,000 baht  but good service.   just saying.

If you can book airasia early enough 6 months or so , you can get some really decent prices. A few years back I booked a flight with them KL-London in October for the following April , for 2 adults and 2 kids (9 and 10) I paid 8000 RM , or 80,000 baht

• Like 1

Also Bangkok to Sydney

If you can book airasia early enough 6 months or so , you can get some really decent prices. A few years back I booked a flight with them KL-London in October for the following April , for 2 adults and 2 kids (9 and 10) I paid 8000 RM , or 80,000 baht

I believe they did a London Stanstead flight then, was that the one??    I was going to use it then it stopped, problem was they offered the seat at a crazy low rate, or other factors stopped the route.

We now have 10 flights daily to/from Khon Kaen - 5 with Thai Smile, 3 with AirAsia, and 2 with NokAir - all going to Don Mueang.

Not quite.

There are 3 flights with Thai Smile to DMK and 2 remaining flight with Thai Airways to Suv., BKK (12:25h. 20:00h).

But still very annoying.

Thai Airways flights well above 2000 Baht oneway.

Edited by KhunBENQ

A Thai easyjet/ryanair!! Cheap flights to party land,phuket & Samui.drunk.gif.pagespeed.ce.hfErN2aQEE.gif intheclub.gif.pagespeed.ce.TVIbELwsxN.gi
Will it forces Thai airways to be competitive and make a profit?

Samui is a private airport owned by BKK air never in a month of Sundays will it allow this cheap flight to land on its strip unless they are prepared to pay huge landing charges which would make it non competitive Against BKK air
  • Like 1