Low cost Thai Smile airline inaugurates first flight at Don Mueang

webfact

The airport to which an airline lands does affect ticket prices, because of airport charges. Don Muang obviously cheaper than Suvarnabhumi.

Perhaps with seeming demise (or reconstruction of MH as a viable entity) now is the time for Air Asia to step in again with flights to London?

• Like 1

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We now have 10 flights daily to/from Khon Kaen - 5 with Thai Smile, 3 with AirAsia, and 2 with NokAir - all going to Don Mueang.  Was nice before when Thai Air went to Suvarnabhumi Oh well, guess they don't look at the extra cost for passengers getting a taxi from DM instead of Swampy going to Bangkok or even down to Pattaya.

Taxi? Is not even 100 Baht different to Sukhumvit, Bangkok city center.

Pattaya, will be not much different either.

If you on such a tight budget, try a Bus. blink.png  

A.Asia -- with an onward flight ticket.--free shuttle provided.

Edited by ginjag
  • Like 1

Question: have they announced wheather Thai Smile will be used for International flights?

Part reason Smile is now at DMK, to counter any A.Asia European venture.----Thai Airways will use Smile in disguised livery.

Air Asia X said last december they are thinking about flying a333s from DMK to Paris and London, they have several more a333s on order and have ordered the new a350 also

There are monopolies on KL to Auckland and BKK to Auckland by MAS and Thai airways, id like to see one of those routes shaken up by AAX

Also Bangkok to Sydney

Bangkok to Sydney is operated by 3 different airlines at the moment (used to be 4 before British Airways pulled out of the route, only flying London-Bangkok return and Qantas similarly is now only doing Sydney-Bangkok return rather than continuing onto London).

AIR ASIA tried the EU market already in the past, but it did not work out, at least not from Kuala Lumpur.

So maybe a new try from DMK?  We see. rolleyes.gif

Bangkok to sydney i meant only has full service flights, afaik

Air Asia X did do Europe from KL but they were using A340 gas guzzlers, combined with Europe's high taxes they could not make the routes viable

They have a record a330er order at the moment including 10x A350-900s on order, and they have a massive brand new airport at KL that they have pretty much to themselves, so plenty of potential and ambition

If they do end up going back to Europe i reckon it would be a350 from KL and a330 extended range versions from Bangkok using their Thai AAX sub

Edited by Jdiddy
  • Like 1

Question: have they announced wheather Thai Smile will be used for International flights?

Part reason Smile is now at DMK, to counter any A.Asia European venture.----Thai Airways will use Smile in disguised livery.

This is not true. Thai Smile only operate Airbus A320-200. These would not be used on any European routes.
Thai Smile are not being used to counter Thai Air Asia X on any possibly future 'European ventures', rather any strategic value the move to Don Mueang holds is for short-haul routes within Thailand.

This is not true. Thai Smile only operate Airbus A320-200. These would not be used on any European routes.
Thai Smile are not being used to counter Thai Air Asia X on any possibly future 'European ventures', rather any strategic value the move to Don Mueang holds is for short-haul routes within Thailand.

I didn't say it was true...........................What is to stop Smile from acquiring larger planes ??   I am aware of Airbus plane sizes, and would be foolish to use these planes to land 3 times on route to Europe.........How do you know Smile is not to counter A.Asia ???  apart from operating costs why did they throw away the connecting flights with it's big sister??........................DMK has other than domestic flights so it is open to any destination.

To re cap on a 50 minute flight from Udon-Smile are head to head along with Nok against A.Asia,   they have no chance to sqeeze out an airline with brains. Smile like Thai airways will price themselves off the market unless there is a big U-turn.

I will say this Smile fron Udon had good capacity ratio--expensive to Swampy but a monopoly, now no monopoly---Bad move Smile..

There were clear statements that Thai Smile has not be founded to operate on long haul.

The fleet consists of 14 new to brandnew A320-200, absolutely not fit for real long haul to Europe or US (6000 km max.).

For the Asian area they are usable.

I guess its still in its early stages of operation and ideas of international flights may be a possibility in the future. I would like to see them expand to Perth with a possible stop at Changi or KL, give AA some competition.  

Given a choice of international airport in BKK I preferred the old Don Muang.

There must be a business model to fly from there to Europe.

Many moons ago I flew from there to Gatwick with Thai Orient in the tired old 747's they had.

Swampy should be the better airport but due to a lack of organisation (Planning) it is not. I usually use DM as we live in Ayutthaya and about 1 hour away. However we were going straight to Naklua a couple of weeks ago so I flew into Swampy. The plane landed and Taxied to God knows where for 15 minutes, We then stopped got of at a landing gate , were diverted downstairs and into a waiting Bus, by the time the Bus filled up and then crawled back across the airport it was another minutes. So half an hour just to get from landing in to the airport , I was fuming. Thai airways flight from Penang , its not cheap either and i'll be avoiding it in future

• Like 1

Many moons ago I flew from there to Gatwick with Thai Orient in the tired old 747's they had.

Did that once, wasn't it marketed as Phuket Air? Good God it was frightening! I think I would have felt safer in a Lancaster over the Ruhr in 1944, more comfortable too!

Mind you, when Poo air were lurching from one refueling/emergency repair stop to the next, wasn't Don Muang the only airport in town? Edited by JAG

Did that once, wasn't it marketed as Phuket Air? Good God it was frightening! I think I would have felt safer in a Lancaster over the Ruhr in 1944, more comfortable too!

Mind you, when Poo air were lurching from one refueling/emergency repair stop to the next, wasn't Don Muang the only airport in town?

I don't know if this was the same Jumbo but there was one parked next to the terminal building at Udon Thani for a few years,  it's livery was blanked off, and without 2 engines but a couple of years ago it vanished very quick.  I think it must have been one of the first to roll off Boeing production line---maybe be now a collectors item.    I believe Thai Orient used to operate from Udon Thani, that could explain why is was stranded there. 

They got a name similar to Dan Air (UK) and Aeroflot.     They used to say--Dan Air if you dare.thumbsup.gif

Thai Smile can be lower cost if booked in advance, but if booked last minute it is the same as Thai Air - last few seats can be more expensive. I am always last minute so they  are never low cost unless I get really lucky with an empty flight and still promo seats left...but that's the same with Thai as well.

I have been flying Air Asia a lot more recently. Singapore return, last minute, last week was 5,800 baht - great deal. Thai was 3 times that price. Food choices are good and I actually don't mind flying from Don Muang - traffic in BKK is usually less once on the expressway and the airport is ok.

I fly at least twice a week. For me, it's about flight time meeting my schedule more than price.

The only REAL benefit for Thai for me is the Gold Card and lounges, especially on International, regular upgrades, but also the ability to change flights or times easily with no penalty. Low cost does not offer this...although Smile does.

• Like 1

[quote name="ginjag" post="8229528" timestamp="1407755401"][quote name="JAG" post="8229345" timestamp="1407753125"] [quote name="Jay Sata" post="8226492" timestamp="1407704764"]Given a choice of international airport in BKK I preferred the old Don Muang.

Many moons ago I flew from there to Gatwick with Thai Orient in the tired old 747's they had.[/quote]Did that once, wasn't it marketed as Phuket Air? Good God it was frightening! I think I would have felt safer in a Lancaster over the Ruhr in 1944, more comfortable too!

Mind you, when Poo air were lurching from one refueling/emergency repair stop to the next, wasn't Don Muang the only airport in town?
 [/quote]

I don't know if this was the same Jumbo but there was one parked next to the terminal building at Udon Thani for a few years,  it's livery was blanked off, and without 2 engines but a couple of years ago it vanished very quick.  I think it must have been one of the first to roll off Boeing production line---maybe be now a collectors item.    I believe Thai Orient used to operate from Udon Thani, that could explain why is was stranded there. 
They got a name similar to Dan Air (UK) and Aeroflot.     They used to say--Dan Air if you dare.thumbsup.gif[/quoAir

One of Poo airs Jumbos was impounded at Gatwick for several months due to non payment of fees, fuel bills etc. A real rattlesnake outfit. Pretty girls in the cabin crew, if you like your pretty girls looking a bit scared!

Dan Air, now there is a blast from the past! Used to have the air trooping contract into Gibralter. Landing on that short runway with the sea at the end in their clapped out BAC 111 was not to be missed!

• Like 1

[quote name="JAG" post="8229345" timestamp="1407753125"] [quote name="Jay Sata" post="8226492" timestamp="1407704764"]Given a choice of international airport in BKK I preferred the old Don Muang.

Many moons ago I flew from there to Gatwick with Thai Orient in the tired old 747's they had.[/quote]Did that once, wasn't it marketed as Phuket Air? Good God it was frightening! I think I would have felt safer in a Lancaster over the Ruhr in 1944, more comfortable too!

They got a name similar to Dan Air (UK) and Aeroflot.     They used to say--Dan Air if you dare.thumbsup.gif[/quoAir

One of Poo airs Jumbos was impounded at Gatwick for several months due to non payment of fees, fuel bills etc. A real rattlesnake outfit. Pretty girls in the cabin crew, if you like your pretty girls looking a bit scared!

Dan Air, now there is a blast from the past! Used to have the air trooping contract into Gibralter. Landing on that short runway with the sea at the end in their clapped out BAC 111 was not to be missed!

I think they were ex Laker airways 1-11s

They ran Dan Air from Manchester in the early days for holiday companies.  I was in a B 727 to Tenerife and were stacking over Santa Cruz when that massive crash happened--talk about sweat. (2 jumbo's collided)

Now in them days I used to take photos of every aircraft I travelled on and this B 727 was one of them, a long time after the very same Dan Air from Manchester was en-route to Tenerife with many friends of mine on board, they never made their holiday all died when the 727 was wrongly directed over Santa Cruz, the pilot could not avoid the mountain in front of him.

Sorry for yapping on, but it was interesting you responded to Dan Air if you dare..thumbsup.gif  enjoy-ginjag.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Swampy should be the better airport but due to a lack of organisation (Planning) it is not. I usually use DM as we live in Ayutthaya and about 1 hour away. However we were going straight to Naklua a couple of weeks ago so I flew into Swampy. The plane landed and Taxied to God knows where for 15 minutes, We then stopped got of at a landing gate , were diverted downstairs and into a waiting Bus, by the time the Bus filled up and then crawled back across the airport it was another minutes. So half an hour just to get from landing in to the airport , I was fuming. Thai airways flight from Penang , its not cheap either and i'll be avoiding it in future

Yeah I've done that 20/30 min taxi and bus trip with Emirates at Swampy - just what you don't need after a 7 hr flight