No Visa options for the ones who are young and have money?

No Visa options for the ones who are young and have money?

No.

You have no birth right nor reason to be here.

Good bye.

Birthright? How quaint. Next you'll on about the divine right of kings.

Edited by BudRight

• Replies 531
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the purpose of the crackdown is the avoid people working illegally why do they sell a visa for 500,000 baht. You would think people working illegally would have no problem paying for a visa when they actually have job rolleyes.gif

I am trying to see your argument but to be honest, if we have a non-degreed and thus a non-WP'd foreigner doing TEFL for around 20-25,000/month who can't afford the air ticket to go and get a legitimate visa (that he also can't afford), how on earth can he afford the half-million baht Elite 'lite' card/visa?

• Like 2

If you're not 50 and not on a retirement visa... Why did you compare the Thailand Elite program with a retirement visa?

I am not 50 either by the way... But with my Thailand Elite PE visa I don't have your worries... and I don't have to stay away till an immigration officer allows me to enter. What a strange way of doing (and thinking) you have...

And "you're not paying 50 times more (it was 60 in your previous post) for an inferior visa"... Which visa are you talking about? Your tourist visa? Or a retirement visa again? I don't follow...

Maybe you're fine with overpaying, I just think it's plain unfair I have to pay so much more money for a visa because I'm not 50 yet or don't have a Thai wife. Anyways pointless argument, as I said I'd be fine with buying the card at the terms you got in (1mil for lifetime). As always in Thailand easy to bring your money in, way harder to take it out.

For every one person kicking themselves today for not having bought the Elite card 10 years ago, in ten years from now, there will be a hundred people kicking themselves that they passed up on Elite 'lite' card today.

Yes, I think you are right.
It seems that since they introduced the 5 years card, many new members are joining the program.
The new 5 years Easy Access card is very good because it allows new members to "test" the product first.
But personally I would not be surprised if the price of the 5 years card jumps to 600,000 in a year.
I am also pretty sure that there will be a kind of "platinum" option in the future too.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

previous offer was lifetime, current offers are all limited in time so it's not a good product for someone who plans to spend his whole life in Thailand...

If the purpose of the crackdown is the avoid people working illegally why do they sell a visa for 500,000 baht. You would think people working illegally would have no problem paying for a visa when they actually have job rolleyes.gif

A lot of the criminal element are buying the Elite Card. 

Thailand has never have a problem with accepting money, from whatever source. :)

If you're not 50 and not on a retirement visa... Why did you compare the Thailand Elite program with a retirement visa?

I am not 50 either by the way... But with my Thailand Elite PE visa I don't have your worries... and I don't have to stay away till an immigration officer allows me to enter. What a strange way of doing (and thinking) you have...

And "you're not paying 50 times more (it was 60 in your previous post) for an inferior visa"... Which visa are you talking about? Your tourist visa? Or a retirement visa again? I don't follow...

Maybe you're fine with overpaying, I just think it's plain unfair I have to pay so much more money for a visa because I'm not 50 yet or don't have a Thai wife. Anyways pointless argument, as I said I'd be fine with buying the card at the terms you got in (1mil for lifetime). As always in Thailand easy to bring your money in, way harder to take it out.

For every one person kicking themselves today for not having bought the Elite card 10 years ago, in ten years from now, there will be a hundred people kicking themselves that they passed up on Elite 'lite' card today.

Or, Thailand will be kicking itself for sending many people to Cambodia, Vietnam, Bali etc etc etc etc - when they could have retained them. :)

It seems that since they introduced the 5 years card, many new members are joining the program.
The new 5 years Easy Access card is very good because it allows new members to "test" the product first.
But personally I would not be surprised if the price of the 5 years card jumps to 600,000 in a year.
I am also pretty sure that there will be a kind of "platinum" option in the future too.

"I would not be surprised if the price of the 5 years card jumps to 600,000 in a year." - I would not be surprised if the value of the card drops to 0 baht in a year. :)

Another visa thread no need to read it as the content will be the same as all the other visa threads over the last couple of months, though the perenial Thai visa "experts" have had plenty of time to hone their arguments.

Basically the options are ED visa, elite card or split your time between another country and Thailand.

No the Thai economy will not be affected it's long since progressed from agricultural and tourism to a manufacturing based economy, a few businesses that are frequented by expats may suffer especially through low season. There is a distinct possibility that the Thai economy slow down a bit, nothing to do with the visa laws or tourism but due to the exponential increase in household debt over the last few years, consumer spending will have to slow whilst all the cars bought under the car scheme and all the second mortgages are paid off. The influx of foreign investment in Thailand is slowing again nothing to do with visa laws, protests or the Junta but because companies have already invested here and cheap liquidity is coming to an end as the west exits resection.

As for the constant ranting on here it's got nothing to do with retires it's just a few cretins who spend a lot of time on Thai visa they just like to argue for the sake of arguing, there are some helpful and informative posters on here it's just a shame you have to wade through the incendiary and derogatory crap before you find their posts.

Sent from my iCup using a piece of string tied to another cup

Edited by Chartist
  • Like 1

Is it trolls day? They seems to be out and in good shape.

What is Thailand Elite Program?

and btw the reason I am upset that I have to leave, is because I have a girlfriend I love, and she has a boy, we stay together 3 years but I will have to leave her behind. She makes 8500 baht / month working in a hotel in an Island, and it is a quite sad situation.

Make a Baby with her, or marry her, or both and you qualify for a Non Immigrant O Visa, can be extended to a one year Visa with the funds you have as you wrote. thumbsup.gif

previous offer was lifetime, current offers are all limited in time so it's not a good product for someone who plans to spend his whole life in Thailand...

You are mixing up the Elite membership validity with the associated visa validity. Top-flight membership is 20 years so the visa would need renewing 4 times within that period. If the really 'retired at 30' person applies for that, he can count on a total of four interactions with Immigration (handled entirely by Elite) versus monthly ones, in person on the border. If a traditionally retired (+50) person applies, he may pop his clogs before the 20 years are up but if not, he could drop down onto the 5-year plan until those clogs do eventually pop.

Even if the nouveau retired admit that they aren't close to retirement and opt for the 'Easy Access' membership, that's just one visa application filed on their behalf versus the multiple visa-exempt tango or fraudulent TR visa waltz.

Anyway, who on earth clings to the fanciful notion of 'lifetime guarantees' on anything these days?

The only thing guaranteed in life is you were born and you will eventually die. Nobody, not even the government you may have duly paid social security to, owes you a darn thing towards what you consider a free ride in your twilight years.

Another visa thread no need to read it as the content will be the same as all the other visa threads over the last couple of months, though the perenial Thai visa "experts" have had plenty of time to hone their arguments.

Basically the options are ED visa, elite card or split your time between another country and Thailand.

No the Thai economy will not be affected it's long since progressed from agricultural and tourism to a manufacturing based economy, a few businesses that are frequented by expats may suffer especially through low season. There is a distinct possibility that the Thai economy slow down a bit, nothing to do with the visa laws or tourism but due to the exponential increase in household debt over the last few years, consumer spending will have to slow whilst all the cars bought under the car scheme and all the second mortgages are paid off. The influx of foreign investment in Thailand is slowing again nothing to do with visa laws, protests or the Junta but because companies have already invested here and cheap liquidity is coming to an end as the west exits resection.

As for the constant ranting on here it's got nothing to do with retires it's just a few cretins who spend a lot of time on Thai visa they just like to argue for the sake of arguing, there are some helpful and informative posters on here it's just a shame you have to wade through the incendiary and derogatory crap before you find their posts.

Sent from my iCup using a piece of string tied to another cup

Yep, the Thai economy and Thai Governance is just going from strength to strength.  cheesy.gif

@ NanLaew

"The only thing guaranteed in life is you were born and you will eventually die." - and the other guarantee is it doesn't what visa you have here, if you buy an Elite Crad, who you marry, if you have a business, if you buy a house, if you have kids here, if your best Thai friend is police etc etc - you will ALWAYS be a farang in Thailand.  biggrin.png

• Like 1

Thailand officialdom has repeatedly stated that its economic priorities are to promote investment in Thailand and to provide jobs for young Thai University graduates in areas of film and music production and online software services.

Then non-Thais come on ThaiVisa and say: I do all my work by myself and I don't need to make investments in Thailand and hire Thai persons or anyone to help me -- my economic contribution is buying condos, etc., so why is there no long term visa for me?

Online work is a level playing field Thai's can freelance through sites like odesk just as easily as westerners, I think you've got a genuine lack of understanding on this subject.

We would have to defer to your obvious insider knowledge on that assertion.

Or, Thailand will be kicking itself for sending many people to Cambodia, Vietnam, Bali etc etc etc etc - when they could have retained them. smile.png

Yes, it is a proven historical fact that only the best will flock to foreign shores. The well-documented influx of socially undesirables to Cambodia is just an aberration.

"I would not be surprised if the price of the 5 years card jumps to 600,000 in a year." - I would not be surprised if the value of the card drops to 0 baht in a year. smile.png

That is EXACTLY what the detractors said well over 10 years ago when the Thai Elite and its benefits were first rolled out. It appears the new detractors have totally missed the many recent, positive statements made by several original and still current Elite members on this very subject.
  • Like 1

Why do people continue to say tourism isn't important ?

It is important to every country in the world.

I'm British, Britian spends millions a year promoting tourism, Yet I have no doubt we rely less on tourism than Thailand does.

So 1 persons million baht a year isn't much, times that by 16 million and all of a sudden it kinda mounts up.

We would have to defer to your obvious insider knowledge on that assertion.

Or, Thailand will be kicking itself for sending many people to Cambodia, Vietnam, Bali etc etc etc etc - when they could have retained them. smile.png

Yes, it is a proven historical fact that only the best will flock to foreign shores. The well-documented influx of socially undesirables to Cambodia is just an aberration.

"I would not be surprised if the price of the 5 years card jumps to 600,000 in a year." - I would not be surprised if the value of the card drops to 0 baht in a year. smile.png

That is EXACTLY what the detractors said well over 10 years ago when the Thai Elite and its benefits were first rolled out. It appears the new detractors have totally missed the many recent, positive statements made by several original and still current Elite members on this very subject.

"That is EXACTLY what the detractors said well over 10 years ago" - was that before, or after, the scheme was shut down, after it went broke?  biggrin.png

.. - and the other guarantee is it doesn't what visa you have here, if you buy an Elite Crad, who you marry, if you have a business, if you buy a house, if you have kids here, if your best Thai friend is police etc etc - you will ALWAYS be a farang in Thailand.  biggrin.png

And you reckon that I need to be made aware of this?

I am not the one assuming my current right of abode in Thailand should be inviolable and sacrosanct. I don't say silly things like 'I love Thailand but...', or complain that they should make things even easier for me than they are. I don't feel that Thailand or even my homeland owes me anything. For me, Thailand was and always has been Plan B through D. Plan A (the plan that is firmly based in the only country where I do have rights as a born national) is the only one that is important. All the rest are fanciful contingencies that happened to fit at the time. Long-term 'residence' in Thailand has never, ever been the end game. I had that worked out well before I left after my first 10 years here.

I recommend that everyone take a break and spend a fair bit on the 'outside looking in' on Thailand. Get some perspective.

"That is EXACTLY what the detractors said well over 10 years ago" - was that before, or after, the scheme was shut down, after it went broke?  biggrin.png

The scheme went broke and was shuttered by the government in place at the time BUT NO PAID UP MEMBERS LOST THEIR IMMIGRATION PRIVILEGES that have been subsequently grandfathered into the new, four-tier structure that includes 'Easy Access' that a whole lot of 'well off' people STILL can't afford.

I guess that is funny.

Now, tell us more about all these foreign criminals signing up...

.. - and the other guarantee is it doesn't what visa you have here, if you buy an Elite Crad, who you marry, if you have a business, if you buy a house, if you have kids here, if your best Thai friend is police etc etc - you will ALWAYS be a farang in Thailand.  biggrin.png

And you reckon that I need to be made aware of this?

I am not the one assuming my current right of abode in Thailand should be inviolable and sacrosanct. I don't say silly things like 'I love Thailand but...', or complain that they should make things even easier for me than they are. I don't feel that Thailand or even my homeland owes me anything. For me, Thailand was and always has been Plan B through D. Plan A (the plan that is firmly based in the only country where I do have rights as a born national) is the only one that is important. All the rest are fanciful contingencies that happened to fit at the time. Long-term 'residence' in Thailand has never, ever been the end game. I had that worked out well before I left after my first 10 years here.

I recommend that everyone take a break and spend a fair bit on the 'outside looking in' on Thailand. Get some perspective.

Good post.  Totally agree. 

A lot of people are on this forum in a panic.  If you are tipped out of Thailand, there are a lot of other great places in South East Asia to hang out.   Just roll with it. 

Edited by NamKangMan

The scheme went broke and was shuttered by the government in place at the time BUT NO PAID UP MEMBERS LOST THEIR IMMIGRATION PRIVILEGES that have been subsequently grandfathered into the new, four-tier structure that includes 'Easy Access' that a whole lot of 'well off' people STILL can't afford.

I guess that is funny.

Now, tell us more about all these foreign criminals signing up...

Well, why do they "disguise" a 5 year visa with a lot of BS that you end up not getting, because the scheme goes broke? 

Why not simply just say, "Hey, Farang, pay 500k and here's a 5 year visa."

"Now, tell us more about all these foreign criminals signing up..." - I'm based in Phuket, and have knowledge that foreigners who are affiliated with bikie groups are buying the card.  (no - I'm not a bikie)  It's good intel, from a credible source, and these guys aren't retired bikies, they are young, and have been sent to Phuket for a reason.  That reason is, drugs. 

Now, would you like to discuss the Russian Mafia and the Elite Card?  :)

Edited by NamKangMan

Hey guys, I'm willing to buy the 5 years card visa. I don't care about golf and limo things, I just want to stay in Thailand with no problem, and I don't want to work right now. I don't want to work illegaly also. I just want to stay here, to enjoy my simple life with my girlfriend, and take time before deciding what I will do with my life.

How de you guys evaluate the possibility that this kind of visa (so called "elite" thing, of 5 years) get canceled, in the coming months / years ?

I mean : 500k is real money (for me) ! I'm not taking it lightly !

And if I decide to take it, it's realy for having no problem for 5 years, staying clean with the rules. Do you think it's possible that, let's say, I take this visa now, and in the next 3 months I'm told by the governement "your visa has been canceled, sorry farang, bye, kop khun krap for money" ?

With all this crackdown thing, I guess a lot of people are in the same case than me (honnest guys, not working, with some money, just wanting to stay here), so maybe this elite card visas are next to be targeted by the new immigration laws ?

cheers

Edited by ritoyenne

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Thailand has a GDP of 360+ Billion baht a year. The economy will fall to its knees when the OP takes his million baht away with him  cheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--Zv.gif alt=cheesy.gif width=32 height=20>  

Please don't forget he is not alone, but have 2/3 friends who will take their one million Baht out of Thailand too  alt=whistling.gif> Pffff

Well, if all young retirees and freelance workers do indeed leave for other countries, it will have a negative impact on certain sectors of the economy. On the other hand, if the old farts who spend their days (and nights) glued to barstools did, no one would notice the difference.

Talking about the grey hair brigade, I wonder whether those who constantly applaud the recent immigration "crackdown" would still feel the same way the day the Thai government decides it wants more "quality retirees" instead of sexpats and decides to increase the minimum income/money in the bank requirement for a retirement visa.

nicolas18, could you please explain which sectors of the economy will be affected if the freelance workers leave? I have underlined the word workers as this is a thread about no visas being available for this said group.

This whole debate about freelancers, which has been ongoing for about a month now has for the most part been aimed at immigration. It is not up to immigration what you work at, that is the labor department which hardly any of you recognize.

When you argue against people living here on retirement visas and what they have to provide as financial proof, this does not add up to your arguments. If a person living here on retirement wanted to work, they would still have to apply for a work permit. This is possible, but hard to get. The other option they have is to relinquish their retirement status and extend based on their work permit.

Unless of course the entire 'digital nomad tribe' consider themselves different to the mere mortals who abide by, and adapt to the laws of this country to remain here. If the intention of the argument is to get an easy visa for long stay, I get that. If you are intending to work while you are here, see the labor department.

Sorry about the late reply.

I said "freelance workers," but I also said "young retirees." I also could have included anyone who is under the age of 50 and lives on residual income. Anyway, my post was a counterpoint to the two messages posted by the guys saying "ha, that guy spending 1mil/year is leaving... big deal!". Yeah, sure. No one cares about one person leaving. But if, say, 30 or 40% of the people I mentioned decide to leave for greener pastures, it would have an impact on the real estate market, on the domestic hospitality industry (these people have time to spare and are young, and therefore travel quite a bit) and on the retail industry, among others.