Has anyone ever shipped a car to the US?

pkspeaker

My wife and I are considering moving to the US for a year, i was thinking maybe shipping it over, driving it all over, and then just selling it there once we move back.. she has always wanted me to sell it for a new one because its a stik-shift so was thinkin this might work, would shipping and re-registering it be a pain in the butt?

yes i realize that it's a right seater, i was thinking that would be cool, imagine parallel parking when you can just look over your shoulder and see the space between the vehicle in front and the curb.. remember the movie 'corevette summer' where they change to a right seater(in reality that was a mess) but shows that some people in the us(including myself) think that a right seater in a lefty country would be the shit(lol).

its a  3-4 year old yaris , emssions are a concern but i was assuming it won't be a problem because they have emssion standards in thailand as well, in CA now cars simply pass/fail emissions by attaching the exhaust pipe to a computer, hense older cars are now thrown off the road, considering its not old and has minimal miles on it and has a catalatic converter i dont think that would be an issue.. although the fact that it doesn't have a heater might be an issue lol, so much for driving to north dakota

Factor in shipping costs and loss of value once here on resale, insurance costs, etc. I'd not consider that as anything but a big loss. If you're only talking a year you could buy a nice second hand car here with all the options, travel in style comfortably, sell it on leaving and still save money..

Let's see ... Just searched card direct and for a 2009 Yaris... Usd 6,911 ... Which is aprox THB 221,152

http://m.carsdirect.com/used_cars/vehicle-detail/ul1102207932/toyota/yaris?zipcode=90245

So even if you have base model 4 years old... You will get more than this even if just selling to one of the tents...

That's not even dealing with the logistics costs... Which guessing would be in ballpark of 4-5k USD...(not including and duty or tax)

So at the end of the day... Just doesn't make any sense...
  • Like 2

damn, i was so looking forward to the uniqueness of being the only one on the road with a right seated car, especially when you pull up to traffic lights and your shoulder to shoulder with the driver right next to you-it would be a nice conversation starter if nothing else, and also to passengers freezing their asses off in the winter and asking me to turn the heater on when it doesn't have onelaugh.png  people were gonna be like what kinda car doesn't have a heater? heard of cars not having AC, but no heater!?

Edited by pkspeaker

I lived in a tourist area in the u.s.a. , where every year all the rental companies would sell their fleets for new models, so every year thousands of one year old - well maintained cars would be on the second hand market.  A used car here in Thailand costs 5 to 10 times as much as in the u.s. 

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

yes i realize that it's a right seater, i was thinking that would be cool, imagine parallel parking when you can just look over your shoulder and see the space between the vehicle in front and the curb.. remember the movie 'corevette summer' where they change to a right seater(in reality that was a mess) but shows that some people in the us(including myself) think that a right seater in a lefty country would be the shit(lol).

Yes. but that was a CORVETTE! not a rice-burning Yaris. It would not be a novelty in the U.S. as there is nothing classic about the Yaris. You might not be able to sell it in the U.S.

And as other posters have noted, you can sell it for more in Thailand as used cars have a higher resale value here. And you can buy a new and better car for the money you earn in Thailand.

And anyway, the cost of sending it over there alone would negate any benefit you might receive. If you do this it's a foolish move. 

Very good quality used cars in the US, are much less expensive than here. It is a competitive market unencumbered by silly import duties. In other worlds a free market economy. What a concept. I sold my 1998 Toyota 4Runner Limited, , 4 x 4, with 148,000 light miles, recently for $4,600! In great condition. Not a single issue. And that is all I could get for it. Buy over there. It is a buyers market for sure.

Importing a car to the USA is not something you can do yourself. You have to post a bond and the car has to go to a licensed facility to be certified to conform to US standards. Even if they sell Yarisses in both countries, the Thai Yaris may be missing some of the safety equipment needed to meet US Standards, likewise many other things. You can import a car for 1 year and then export it, but that is not worth it. If the car was more than 25 years old you can import it. 

As far as a RHD car in the USA, been there done that. Kind of cool but had to drive backwards the McD drive through when alone to be on the correct side. Toll booths also a PITA. As far as parallel parking, that is the worst. Easy to park but if there are cars behind you and you are solo, you cannot see the traffic to decide if it is safe to pull out. 

Save the $2,000 -$3,000 in shipping costs and buy a nice used car in the USA. They are cheap compared to Thailand.

• Like 1

its a  3-4 year old yaris , emssions are a concern but i was assuming it won't be a problem because they have emssion standards in thailand as well, in CA now cars simply pass/fail emissions by attaching the exhaust pipe to a computer, hense older cars are now thrown off the road, considering its not old and has minimal miles on it and has a catalatic converter i dont think that would be an issue.. although the fact that it doesn't have a heater might be an issue lol, so much for driving to north dakota

While I am not 100% sure that what I am about to say is true, I would suggest you do some more research.

Being an American who has lived there 50+ years, I can say without a doubt that cars made for sale in Thailand do not even come close to the American standard requirements. Your car, made for Thai standards, would not pass American crash test requirements or emission test requirements and, I'm guessing that the cost to bring the vehicle up to American standards would just not be worth it. 

I agree with previous posters who have said that you would be better off just selling the car here and using the money to purchase a car made to American standards.

Best of luck to you.

This is very close to the most wild scheme from this venue.  Everything about it except your fun screams silly, do not do it!

CA buyer of a cheap car, not a collectable..........

-steering wheel wrong side

-not meet emissions rules.

-buy from dicey individual, not dealer.

-registration?

-special license?

Ah this is only for your fun. 

Several years ago I looked at shipping a new car bought in the Middle East to the USA. With all the emission standards & other safety standards it is next to impossible. If I remember right one compampany in the US quoted $5000 just to inspect the car to see what they needed to do to make it pass a US inspection. Forget it unless it is a Rolls Royce I would say.

In Thailand, a 2010 Yaris 1.5E sells for an average price of 340,000 Baht (~US$10,600). Surprisingly, I see 2010 Yaris cars advertised for sale in America average about $US10,000. Pattayashipping can put your car in a 20 foot container. Prices below is an example of shipping a car to Australia but should give you an example of what your in for: 

POD : Brisbane , Australia for a CAR
Rate : $US1,650.00/20'
Carrier : Mearsk T/T : 18-20 days
Sailing : LCB  Mon,Wed weekly

Local charge and customs clearance BELOW you pay on all container shipments across the board. These may vary: Below is for a car.

THC                                    THB 2,600.00/20'
CFS                                    THB 1,650.00/20'
B/L                                     THB 500.00/Set
Surrender (If Any)                 THB 500.00/Set
Courier Fee by DHL (If Any)  THB 700.00/Shipment
Handling Charge                  THB 2500.00/Shipment
Customs Formality               THB 2500.00/Shipment
Shipping Charge                  THB 2,000.00/Shipment
Customs Surcharge              THB 270.00/Personal 200.00/Company
Lashing Fee                         THB 3,000.00/Car
Cleaning Fee                        THB 2,500.00/Car
Deregister Fee (If Any)          THB 5,000.00/Car
Gate Entry (If Any)                THB 570.00/FCL20'

And then like other posts say, you need to have it inspected and pass emissions and safety standards etc which is quite lacking in Thai cars so expect some modifications to add etc. And then there's that right hand driver thing...awkward... Good luck reselling it.

By the way, a brand new Yaris in America sells for about $US 16,000. Personally,  I  would never buy a foreign car in the US. They are expensive because they are imported and even more expensive to fix.

Edited by RBOP

You need to rethink your priorities.I'm surprised your even considering it.Leave it in Thailand for when you return.Just buy A car in the US when you get there.Your wanting to jump thru hoopes when there's no reason to do so.You'll give yourself A headache.
Don't do it.

In Thailand, a 2010 Yaris 1.5E sells for an average price of 340,000 Baht (~US$10,600). Surprisingly, I see 2010 Yaris cars advertised for sale in America average about $US10,000. Pattayashipping can put your car in a 20 foot container. Prices below is an example of shipping a car to Australia but should give you an example of what your in for: 

POD : Brisbane , Australia for a CAR
Rate : $US1,650.00/20'
Carrier : Mearsk T/T : 18-20 days
Sailing : LCB  Mon,Wed weekly

Local charge and customs clearance BELOW you pay on all container shipments across the board. These may vary: Below is for a car.

THC                                    THB 2,600.00/20'
CFS                                    THB 1,650.00/20'
B/L                                     THB 500.00/Set
Surrender (If Any)                 THB 500.00/Set
Courier Fee by DHL (If Any)  THB 700.00/Shipment
Handling Charge                  THB 2500.00/Shipment
Customs Formality               THB 2500.00/Shipment
Shipping Charge                  THB 2,000.00/Shipment
Customs Surcharge              THB 270.00/Personal 200.00/Company
Lashing Fee                         THB 3,000.00/Car
Cleaning Fee                        THB 2,500.00/Car
Deregister Fee (If Any)          THB 5,000.00/Car
Gate Entry (If Any)                THB 570.00/FCL20'

And then like other posts say, you need to have it inspected and pass emissions and safety standards etc which is quite lacking in Thai cars so expect some modifications to add etc. And then there's that right hand driver thing...awkward... Good luck reselling it.

By the way, a brand new Yaris in America sells for about $US 16,000. Personally,  I  would never buy a foreign car in the US. They are expensive because they are imported and even more expensive to fix.

You were heading for home until you posted the final highlighted sentence. Most major foreign manufacturers now produce cars in the states for both the US and International markets.. And parts are in Canada. Mexico and the states so little, to no, import duty or taxes with NAFTA and various other International treaties regarding parts imports. They are mostly just higher cost because of higher quality in many cases.

Edited by WarpSpeed

You can lease new cars in the US for 2 or 3 years, and with the low interest rates, now, very good leases.  

Isn't it also possible to bring a car back to Thailand from abroad as a Thai?  Nice way to bring a luxury car back and sell it for a nice profit if true.

A fair used car in the USA will cost at least $6,000 - $7,000.  A 7 year old Toyota Rav4 is about $12,000 to give you and idea.  Less popular cars are less expensive....

Try www.autotrader.com for cars marketed online by most dealers.

My American buddy lived in Japan for a few years, he bought a Harley there and then when he moved home had it shipped back to the U.S. where it was held by authorities who because it "may not meet emissions requirements". He ended up getting the bike, but at considerable expense.

I owned a Towing business in the U.S., and in the course of business I ran into quite a few foreigners who bought used vehicles when they arrived in the States and then after driving them all over America sold them before going home.

Edited by Lee4Life

I had a '96' Seat 4 door in Thailand, 1.8 liter, electric windows, remote locking, no airbags, clothe interior, no sun roof, a little guts because I tuned it well, but not so much without making wholesale changes I wasn't interested in making. But few other notable features and while it was a decent car, something different & very familiar to me in spite of it being under Spanish designed skin it was 90% VW on a Polo chassis (quite small). I sold it before leaving 2 years ago and got a nice price of 120,000B and came here and bought a 2004 Rx8 with all the goodies, cruise, power windows, 8 air bags, the famed rotary engine with buttery smooth power, excellent Bose stereo, intermittent wipers, ABS, power everything, mirrors, door locks (remote too), leather interior and on, and on, for another $500 US (total $4500) and there is no comparing the style and zoom zoom, fun factor in the driving enjoyment between the 2.. My car there nearly covered my entire cost of the Mazda here.

Edited by WarpSpeed
  • Like 1

I had a '96' Seat 4 door in Thailand, 1.8 liter, electric windows, remote locking, no airbags, clothe interior, no sun roof, a little guts because I tuned it well, but not so much without making wholesale changes I wasn't interested in making. But few other notable features and while it was a decent car, something different & very familiar to me in spite of it being under Spanish designed skin it was 90% VW on a Polo chassis (quite small). I sold it before leaving 2 years ago and got a nice price of 120,000B and came here and bought a 2004 Rx8 with all the goodies, cruise, power windows, 8 air bags, the famed rotary engine with buttery smooth power, excellent Bose stereo, intermittent wipers, ABS, power everything, mirrors, door locks (remote too), leather interior and on, and on, for another $500 US (total $4500) and there is no comparing the style and zoom zoom, fun factor in the driving enjoyment between the 2.. My car there nearly covered my entire cost of the Mazda here.

Think you may struggle now as the Seat is probably worth 50,000B if you want a nice one, not many do.

That's the beauty of those models, can buy low and sell higher once I go through them and bring them back up to quality, did that for a few months, sold a few when I was there and made respectable returns. Occasionally still I check the listings and none of mine show back up, The buyers are for the most part happy and the cars still chugging along. Mostly the buyers were expats for a few reasons because they get a good older car that's been properly gone through and secondly they want something not so vanilla and can appreciate something European and not just another Toyota. They are getting few and far between these days now though I see..

By specializing in them I had a good run of spare parts and sources to interchange when necessary between cars, to package one or two at a time with more options and features for example and the others sold at lower prices.

I did see one a few weeks ago for 50,000b and that might have been a taker were I still there, I stayed away from any engine swaps and preferred LP installs for economy. The original engine listings and LP installs were usually up around 70,000 to 100,000b, but occasionally I got a good deal a bit lower, plenty of room to put in a new timing belt,any small things like water pumps, tune up, filters, maybe brakes and such, bleed the clutch and brake lines for the first time since the car was new whistling.gif  and go through the crap, bastardized wiring that accompanies EVERY used car in Thailand and bring it up to a safe spec..