AirAsia to launch Wi-Fi service this year

webfact

AirAsia to launch Wi-Fi service this year
The Nation

30240915-01_big.jpg
Wi-Fi testing on board today

BANGKOK: -- A group of 120 AirAsia Allstar volunteers boarded a test flight today for the user acceptance testing (UAT) conducted for the AirAsia's Wi-Fi service, as the low-cost airline plans to launch the service by the end of this year.

For the next two months, AirAsia will be providing 60 guests on each flight with the opportunity to participate in the Free User Test.

"It will be the first on-board Wi-Fi product in the world at affordable pricing system, and I am excited with the success of our first user acceptance test today. Finally, the masses will be able to enjoy Wi-Fi on board at a low-cost price. As I promised to the market, this is one of many initiatives that we are rolling out to boost our ancillary income per passenger spent target of RM60 in the near term," said AirAsia's Group Chief Executive Officer Tony Fernandes.

A range of Wi-Fi products including Instant Messaging, emails as well as content streaming will be made available gradually on all AirAsia flights with the AK flight code operated by AirAsia Berhad.

Today, a group of 120 AirAsia Allstar volunteers boarded a test flight today for the very first user acceptance testing (UAT) conducted for the AirAsia’s Wi-Fi service. Three instant messaging services, namely LINE, Whatsapp and WeChat were tested during this exercise and the results are positive. Live updates of the test flight were shared on AirAsia’s official Twitter and Instagram accounts.

"I am very proud and happy that our staff continue to push the boundaries of being innovative. The Wi-Fi equipment that was introduced to us much earlier was just too expensive and we have decided to develop our own. It has taken us five years to come to this stage, but in true AirAsia style, we have to get it right and provide our guests with the best value at the most affordable rates," Fernandes said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/business/AirAsia-to-launch-Wi-Fi-service-this-year-30240915.html

[thenation]2014-08-14[/thenation]

...aaaand beside of taxes, extra charge, service charge, seat wobblization prevention service charge, hand luggage allowance supercharge, showing you to your seat service charge, "oh, just leave your shoes on, no plomplem" charge, three farts into the seat for free tax, allowed to keep the eyes open during flight charge, 1 paid toilet use get one free charge, sour neck travel insurance charge (mandatory), sandwich and beverage charge, VAT and all, the WiFi service will add another 12.95 USD to your bill, eventually making Air Asia flights more expensive than a first class ticket with Thai Airways, right?

Written by someone who made the mistake of falling for the cheap initial flight price on the Air Asia booking website to later end up with a price similar to much better ones and walking to and from gate K 856 for several kilomters to the luggage belt...

• Like 2

Well he has got to get back some of the money he lost on his F1 team.

My only concern with wifi is the noise, if people are compelled to wear headphones when viewing anything that makes noise then why not, but otherwise please please no.

Would I pay extra for it ?, no

Edited by Likener1