Must see places in SE Asia / Asia

corkman

Hi All,

I've lived in Thailand for several years now, and only recently started exporing the region. Been to Ankor Wat, Krabi, Yangon Pagoda , Angthong National Park (Blue Lagoon is amazingly beautiful). All amazing, and all for different reasons.

Can anyone recoemmend other must see, WOW, amazing places - please :-) ..... it could be an "adventrous" activity (off beaten track) or a city centre wonder..... I'm easy and eager.

I am reasonably young and fit / able bodied. I'm a good swimmer and qualified divier.

Weekend trips, or long weekends suit best - but not to the exclusion of further flung destinations.

It can be in Thailand, or anywhere in the region.

Appreciate your insights.

Thanks in advance.

If you're into diving i suggest to go to Sipadan Island in Borneo, Malaysia. Diving Heaven.

Candi Borobudur in Yogyakarta is a must see in my opinion. One of the ancient relics of history.

Give Sipadan a miss until the Malaysia Arm Force improve the security. Lately there has been spate of kidnapping.

Anyplace in Laos...from Vientiane to Luang Prabang to Pakse and even the center is beautiful...

I like southern Vietnam too, places like the Mekong delta is wonderful.

In thailand, I love Chiang Khan and also Phanom Rung in Buriram

Try a neat trip through Lao to Hanoi Vietnam...via the Plain of Jars.

Do the Mergui Archepelago.

Travel the Mekong from its headwaters to the South China Sea

by boat & overland.

Pick a point on the compass & head that way.

The only "thing" that could limit you is your imagination.

And...Bhutan is very nice.

• Like 1

I have heard the words WOW and AMAZING used many times to describe the wonders of this destination. It can be an taken in as evening trip or made into a weekend excursion if you so desire. It is right here in the City of Angels, the Big Mango, Bangkok. It is a city centre wonder of wonders. You needn't be a swimmer but a qualified diver is a likely asset. Being young, fit, able bodied and eager are also qualities likely to help you negotiate the gauntlet of female advances and distractions. This popular destination is none other than Soi Cowboy!biggrin.png

I spent 3 heavenly weeks in a certain part of Vietnam earlier this year but I'm not telling where it is or how I got there 'cause I don't want it stampeded and ruined like so many other places in SE Asia. You'll have to find it on your own like I did.

My absolute favourite place for the experiencing the outdoors is Kota Kinabalu. It has beautiful islands/beaches/diving and Mt Kinabalu, the tallest mountain in SE Asia. They are practically next to each other surrounding the town of KK.

I went years ago when Sabah was a safe place to visit. I still have an itching to go back even now. KK is supposedly still safe as it's a few hundred km from the spate of kidnappings/killings on the other side of the island. Best to double check though obviously.

Mt Kinabalu has an excellent trail leading up to the summit. There is a midway station with hostel and restaurant facilities, so you don't need to take any gear with you. It's a great hike and usually takes 2 days. On the first day you hike to the midway station and stay overnight. Next day you start out early morning before dawn (be sure to take a good flashlight) and head to the summit and catch the beautiful sunrise. You then hike back all the way down the same day. You're advised to book at least a day or two ahead for the guide (required) and accommodations. At least that's how it was years ago.

For both sea and mountains, nothing in this region can top KK IMO. As an added bonus, you can hop over to Brunei and experience the nature there. When you get sick of that, go to the free amusement park in Bandar Seri Begawan that the sultan provides for the people. It's pretty much a world class amusement park that is surprisingly underutilised (no lineups) biggrin.png and completely free.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I spent 3 heavenly weeks in a certain part of Vietnam earlier this year but I'm not telling where it is or how I got there 'cause I don't want it stampeded and ruined like so many other places in SE Asia. You'll have to find it on your own like I did.

You are not required to tell your location...but it would be nice...since you brought it up...what made your 3 weeks so heavenly...otherwise...you will be labeled just another selfish AH....IMHO

ggt. I couldn't find what you described in HCM city. I did look. Could you give me a few more pointers because I may be returning in January, 2015. Thanks, anyone.

Dr H. Yes, Indonesia, where it rains every day at 3=00pm if you want to be in that climate. I got fed up with it and came away. Drenched every day !

Varanasi in India. You're likely to ether love it or hate it, but it will certainly leave an impression on you - there is nowhere like it on earth.

If you're interested in Buddhism, combine it with trips to Sarnath and Bodh Gaya.

Further afield, but If like me and your interest is wreck diving, Chuuk (Truk) Lagoon should surely be on your to do list.

• Like 1

Bagan, Myanmar
Ellora and Ajanta, India
Kuching, Malaysia
Upper Coonoor, India
Wat Champusak, Laos
the list really can go on

Those are on the beaten track but all worthy of mention and, for me, more impressive than Angkor Wat (which is still well worth the visit).

Off the beaten track there are plenty of options. This one is in Northern Laos. It is signed off a main road that is travelled by quite a number of travelers each year but you'll definitely need your own transport (motorbike is suggested) to get there. This photo was taken from a hot spring tub with the most amazingly friendly local people who bought us towels and soap (no money wanted) as we turned up out of nowhere and not prepared.

post-68756-0-23206400-1408503433_thumb.j

Just turn off the road randomly....you'll almost always have an adventure :)

• Like 1

Dr H. Yes, Indonesia, where it rains every day at 3=00pm if you want to be in that climate. I got fed up with it and came away. Drenched every day !

This depends on region, but normally you have half year of dry season with very little rain so this would be the best time to see those places. Sorry to hear that you got drenched. I am not a big fan heavy rain either..sad.png

A post containing personal contact details has been removed. Please note the following forum rules when posting in future:

Privacy

18) You will not post phone numbers, email addresses, business names, or web/Facebook/Twitter/Google+ addresses in posts or signatures. Web addresses to personal commercial sites sites/blogs, or Facebook/Twitter/Google+ addresses, may be posted in a member's profile page.

please dont go to Vung Tau, the local newspaper here have many complains about restaurants in Vung Tau charging tourist 20 timese the price. Even the locals are boycotting VT, commie just ruined everything. Local newspaper have been mentioning Vietnamese ugliness in the eyes of the world. Like talking loud in public, pee in public, don't know how to get in line, stealing, lie, etc.

Commie has not ruin Doc Let, so please go there , Ninh Hoa, for nem nuong, sweet coconut, fresh craps and white sand shallow beach. Only 150 km from Buon Ma Thuot airport. HCM buon Ma thuot is about 30 dollars one way plane ticket.