Woman falls onto BTS Mo Chit tracks

webfact

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well I am afrade I can only say it is a put up picture, where are other people at 8am inthe morning and when people faint their legs buckle first, she is to far out, head on the 2nd rail, if she fainted and keeled over her leg or legs would be on the 1st rail but head would not be that far out, think about it.

How does one of the busiest stations not warrant those fancy advertising / safety doors meanwhile less busy stations have them already?

Unfortunately, there are many occasions at stations, like Siam, where the doors remain open at all times; okay so there is still a substantial barrier to prevent people from falling, but there are holes in it every few yards...!!

there was a glitch to get the door integrated with the system hence it wasn't working before, haven't taken it recently but another folk here said its working now.

I'm with DrLom, there is something fishy here. That pose is not from a faint. When you faint your body collapses. She seems to have been projected out to the track. And that is a very interesting pose with her head resting on the track. It seems either faked or maybe a re-enactment but then again nobody is pointing at her so should not be a re-enactment.

I think it is a hoax to add to her facebook.

Just saying.

I'm with DrLom, there is something fishy here. That pose is not from a faint. When you faint your body collapses. She seems to have been projected out to the track. And that is a very interesting pose with her head resting on the track. It seems either faked or maybe a re-enactment but then again nobody is pointing at her so should not be a re-enactment.

I think it is a hoax to add to her facebook.

Just saying.

Come on, it could be after she fell and tried to move or get up. Do you think she removed her shoe herself?

Have to agree with the fishy statements. Ever since I first saw the picture. Someone even decided to put a nice filter on it. She's practically in the fetal position using the rail as a pillow. Then it turns out she is a news reporter? Hopefully the story just goes away. Either its a lucky woman that didn't get hurt after an accident or at least the reporter/station is deprived of their FB "fame".

From the pic the BTS appears to be a Third rail system;

I am only versed in the UK (28 years railway service) most railways around the world (with the exception of Diesel/Steam) operate on Overhead AC which in the UK is energized to 25KV or 25,000 volts AC, our rules and Regs warns us not to go within 9ft of live OHLE (Over Head Line Equipment) as it can arc off and earth (ground) through you (the guys who work on the stuff are trained to work to 2ft away..., not on your nelly mate!) people normally die from the severe burns caused by this type of electrocution.

Other systems are the 3rd and 4th rail systems which are normally energized at between 750 - 1300 volts DC (Direct Current) slightly differant here, if you do not touch it you are safe, if touch it then you will be electrocuted, this sort of grabs you, sometimes animals are caught by it and you end up with a bbq dog or what ever. have no illusions it can kill you stone dead instantly but is survivable also.

The best thing we ever learned when training for Overheads or 3/4th rail systems was TFA - Touch Fo ok All! thats all you need to know lads... thumbsup.gif

The BTS system is of course 3rd rail, power is 750 V DC

The MRT is also 3rd rail, 750 v DC

ARL is obviously overhead (canatary), 25 kv AC

• Like 1

I have always wonder if there is electric current flowing within the steel tracks.

I would guess there is, but it will be the return, at ground potential, so not a hazard. Also no voltage 'between' the rails.

Urbanrail.net. "Track gauge is 1435 mm and power supply is via third rail at 750 V DC"

Active power is under the cover on the left -

Edited by Stuart21

Most modern railways carry a very small voltage in the tracks (running rails) as the Permanent way system for safety is Track Circuited, the tyres of the train metal on metal with the rail head make up a circuit, this then shows something in section on a panel in a signal box (power box) the railway is split up into signalling sections. They are mostly run on the Absolute Block system which means one train in one section at one time, if we maintian that then there would be no collisions /crashes, unfortunately owing to equipment failure or human error we do have accidents. (think of disaster films like Pelham 109 or what ever and on the big panel in the control room you see the TRN (train reporting number) moving along towards impending doom - this is Track Circuit in operation the train shows a presence in the signal section. In stations and other areas you have permissive working which allows more than one train in a signalling section at the same time (Station platforms for example - Platform 3a and Platform 3b)

And before anyone says Tyres on a train? Yes they have tyres, although not rubber, the outer metal on a train wheel is softer than the rest of the wheel, this enables the wheels to be turned after x amount of thousands of miles (or after severe brake applications/ dragging brakes, faults etc) train wheels start to square off (get flat spots) this causes rough riding, the train runs onto a wheel lathe at depot where a giant lathe turns the wheels and makes them true again, we get about 3 to 4 lots out of a set of wheels before they are scrapped, the train is then jacked up and new wheel sets (Bogies) are run under. Sometimes with auto couplers you can have difficulty coupling in multi on modern vehicles if you have new wheels on one end and a set due for scrapping on the other end.

Anyway there you go, for those who it may interest...