Question about taxis/tuk tuks in Phuket

drewfromUSA

Hey all, I'm here in Phuket on vacation for 2 weeks after spending some time in Bangkok. My GF and I are staying at an apartment in Kathu, sort of near the country club. Coming from BKK the whole taxi and tuk tuk situation here seems foreign to us. Is there any difference between the two here? I haven't seen any metered taxi at all. If I flag down a tuk tuk/taxi passing by and ask to go to Patong Beach from my apartment, the driver will always ask for 500 B, though they will usually do it for 200 if I threaten to walk. The cheapest I've gotten to Patong for is 100 B. Getting back is ridiculous and every taxi asks for 3-400. This is a 10 minute drive at most. Coming from Bangkok this seems totally insane to us. I'd take a song teow but never see them passing by.

I may rent a bike this weekend for us but neither of us have our driver licenses (only passports) and aren't sure if we'll get fined if we're pulled over.

There's a taxi stand across the road with a phone number on it. Would this be helpful? I'd need to buy a SIM card but that's fine if the service and prices are better.

Fairly insane is right. They have for years used mafia tactics to build and protect their monopoly and high fares. There is an earnest campaign underway by the NCPO but it seems to be wavering lately. If this can't be sorted now, it never will.

You never see seangteaws because thier are none, at least not like in other parts of Thailand. There are a few bus routes but they are irregular.

You may be fined 500B for not having a license if you get pulled over. Any accident may automatically be your fault if you aren't properly licensed. A walk around patong any evening and you can spot numerous tourists with bandaged on thier arms, legs and face from motorbike accidents. Lot's of tourists resort to motorbikes when they realize how expensive even short trips can be.

If you had them, your home drivers licenses are legal for the class you are licensed for. You need a motorcycle license to drive a motorcycle, and car for car. No IDP is required.

I would absolutely NOT recommend you to rent a motorbike, if you really want to move around, rent a car but make sure it has a 1'st class license with bail bonds.

The situation here in Phuket is what previous posts have told you already.

And if you do rent any transportation, DO NOT give them your passport to keep, make a copy of it.

• Like 1

I rented a scooter when I was there -- giving just a copy of my passport, as somebody mentioned above. That was great to have, but you have to be careful driving as the roads are super windy and Thais drive a bit on the crazy side.

As for Tuk Tuks, they are all scumbag POSs, both down there and up here in BKK. I'd rather walk than pay those guys. In fact, it was because of that constant feeling of danger by the scumbags around Patong that I really have never felt I want to go back down to Phuket.

If you do take a TukTuk and feel like taking your life in your own hands, if you get a photo somehow of them and their "license" and go to the tourist police and let them know you were overcharged. But do it on your last day when you're on your way out of town! lol

I rented a scooter when I was there -- giving just a copy of my passport, as somebody mentioned above. That was great to have, but you have to be careful driving as the roads are super windy and Thais drive a bit on the crazy side.

As for Tuk Tuks, they are all scumbag POSs, both down there and up here in BKK. I'd rather walk than pay those guys. In fact, it was because of that constant feeling of danger by the scumbags around Patong that I really have never felt I want to go back down to Phuket.

If you do take a TukTuk and feel like taking your life in your own hands, if you get a photo somehow of them and their "license" and go to the tourist police and let them know you were overcharged. But do it on your last day when you're on your way out of town! lol

You visited the wrong part of Phuket, if you want the tourist trap, yes Patong will do, but there are other parts of Phuket which are much nicer and more accomodating towards travellers.

Rawai is one of them, prices are lower on almost everything than the west coast.

Dare I say, much, much more beautiful and cleaner compared.

If you rent and drive a motobai (scooter), driving slow can be hazerdous as well. I drive my motorbike faster I think than most but only to loose the company at redto green light.

But I have 8 years of experience of Phuket traffic.

If you go slow, keep left and be prepared for anything and whatever you do, don't drive drunk.

Edited by KamalaRider

The NCPO seems to be heading the same way as the DSI (Don't Seriously Investigate), charge into town, trumpets blowing, mention a few names, charge (yet to see convictions) a few tuk tuk/taxi drivers, investigate, investigate and investigate... in the end, nothing really changes... One should note, that the governor does NOTHING to stop any corruption or illegal activities, as useless ass tits on a bull and should be removed.

No changes? Have you been to any of the beaches recently? Or driven around any of the towns, and seen the taxi/tuktuk guys being really unhappy on the sidewalk on their plastic chairs?

if you are trying to get to Patong during daylight hours then just stand at the side of the road and one of the Blue Local Buses will eventually hove into view. Stick your hand out and they will stop. Hop on and pay when they come around asking for money. 25thb is cheap. However after dark you are stuck with tuk tuks, black taxis or motosys....

You visited the wrong part of Phuket, if you want the tourist trap, yes Patong will do, but there are other parts of Phuket which are much nicer and more accomodating towards travellers.

Rawai is one of them, prices are lower on almost everything than the west coast.

If you rent and drive a motobai (scooter), driving slow can be hazerdous as well. I drive my motorbike faster I think than most but only to loose the company at redto green light.

If you go slow, keep left and be prepared for anything and whatever you do, don't drive drunk.

"there are other parts of Phuket which are much nicer and more accomodating towards travellers." - not when it comes to public transport.

"there are other parts of Phuket which are much nicer and more accomodating towards travellers." - not when it comes to public transport.

Well, we do have the route bus, but apart from that, your'e right, same same but same.

Well, we do have the route bus, but apart from that, your'e right, same same but same.

Unfortunately, if you stay in one of the nicer areas of Phuket, you are at the mercy of the various transport drivers here, who will take every opportunity to rip you off, and even more so, when you want to get home after a night out.

in many cases, a lot of tourist pay more in transport during their holiday, than the cost of their hotel for the duration of their holiday.

As for the tourists tempted by 200 baht a day motorbike hire, many don't make it home, or are injured, from monor, to seriously.

Edited by NamKangMan