Report: "Third World" Ed visas and work permits in Penang

Hi,

A fast report, We travel (with my thai GF) with all the papers from the School from Ao Nang to Penang, first we take the bus in Krabi at 9:00 am 245 or 260 baht (Phuket-Hat Yai ...I hate minivans) and in Hat Yai we take a Minivan that was not so small at 3:00 3:30 to go Penang was 490 in an agency front in the bus station but in the minivan HQ office (some streets near the bus station in Hat Yai) the price was 200 or 300 to go Penang, not sure but was some kind related to to buses go from Hat Yai to Kuala Lumpur, the yellow purple ones...

No problems entering Malaysia, the minivan was quite comfortable but pretty hot, the aircon in the maximum was very poor.

The Minivan stops at request, at the end they stopped in the Banana boutique (the old banana) in chulia street, we look for the new banana (banana guest house) some blocks near the old banana, the normal rooms were full so to avoid walk in the night, with high probability of rain we take a family room, 1 double 2 single w/aircon for 105 RM, the service was ok, the old guy was a bit complicated to do the maths, but pretty well informed about the visas, the price for the ED visa single entry was 220 RM and they charge 40 RM for do the job, the same at jim's places, I talked with Jim and he he is a very nice guy, he can help you a lot for the Visas (visa expert as he called him self) he changed at very good rate Thai baht to RM 1000 bath for 100 RM while banana was 1000 bath 93 RM and other money exchange 1000 to 98 RM he gave very good info to a backpacker girl to stay in cheap rooms for 30-35 RM, so my perception of Jim was very good, but at the end I did everything with the old banana since my school bloody recommended the new banana and really everything was ok with them.

Next day we moved to another guest house just one block from the new banana, DMO Inn with nice reviews in Agoda, cheap clean, 58 RM for double bed with aircon (they have cheaper rooms too), full of cheap places to eat, near the Kontar shopping mall center and etc, we didn't go to the beach or the park, that was quite far from this area around 60 90 minutes away in the 101 bus, mostly because my GF had some problem with some street food and later stayed in the room with headache and other nasty symptoms...

Next day I got my passprot with the ED visa and no problems at all, we book a minivan (owned by bananas) to go back Hat Yai for 38 RM and wait until 4:00 4:30 pm, we stop in a dutty free (good to buy good Chilean wine at very cheap rates) and good rates to buy or sell RM/Baht later close to the frontier we changed to a new minivan, thai style, small sits, everything small, still not so bad 3 sit per line and with a good aircon....

The Nightmare!

Everything was ok, until in the immigration officer in Thailand ask me to go into the immigration office, a fat IO ask me a set of stuff like the ED was fake, what I am doing in Thailand etc, they ask me to fill a paper with all my data and ask me to prove that I have 20000 baht, I should him my passbook from bangkok bank with more than 60k in updated between seven days, but he want I show him the money, don't care about any document card or recipe in foreign money, just Thailand bath, was the worst official experience I've never been asked to show 'money' and was completely rude, he ask to my thai GF in thai a bunch of crap, she can't translate because everything was bad, he asked why my GF can't teach me thai, why I need a ED visa? and a lot of crap, was worst since she enter in the office, while than conversation take in place a South African couple (work permit for teaching) and an Argentinian a work permit non business where asked the same.

They came in others minivans but later that we cross the border after 1 hour of official mess, we changed minivans again as we meet again and talked a lot about what happened, new rules, military bad interpretation of the rules etc, the conclusion wat that everyone that is non from North America or Europe need to show 20000 baht in the hand entering in that border, don't care the kind of visa, ED, work permit etc.

In my minivan was a Canadian living in Samui that was using visa runs for 15 years and he got the same ED visa than me but he not got problems at all, so that was the conclusion.

I am not sure if this is a new local immigration rule or a rule in all the immigration offices but really the problem was only with the third world, US Canada France not problem at all, third world need to show 20k in hand.

• Like 1

I have a Chilean passport
Argentinian and South African passports with problems.

Canadian, US, and France passports no problems at all.

So that is why we think is a "new third world rule" for everyone with work permits and ED visa.

Probably this match with the rule about 50k for workpermit in developed countries and 35k for South Africa, South America, Russia and Eastern Europe.

I was reading about other issues with ED and work permits, apparently this only happened at Sadao frontier, that have a very bad and rude mode, I hope karma do something with that fat rude guy (some people were joking about that you can tip them with 1k inside the passport to avoid problems) probably that was everything about.

Sorry to know you've been treated rudely, I see that you've been on this forum a lot recently, I wonder how come you choose to come back via Sadao that is one of the worst posts, you certainly had read about the cash requirement that they apply when it suits them? Any other way would have been better, flying being the first. There was a couple with a Russian that came back yesterday to Phuket on their third visa exemption, no problems.

Btw i think you should never call your country third world. Certainly it is not under any standards.

Actually I didn't knew about Sadao I asked in my school if I need to show money or an account in some way, or in the banana office and they didn't warn me about, I have very bad memory and I trusted in my school and the new banana, I keep the flow and book the minivan just minutes later that I got my passport to come back in Thailand

And yes third world sound quite bad but it's easy to get the idea and actually, I guess is something similar when some one talk about "black people" while the polite way in US is "african-american"

No offense to the nations out of 'Western' Europe or North America was not the intention.

• Like 1

I came through Sadeo last night with visa company, all in the van had either non B, non O, ed or business visa's. I had asked about taking 20,000 with me before I left at the visa company office and was told " nonsense not needed they will not ask " well must say they didn't because we were all told to put 200 baht in passport, one girl tried not to, to see what happened, she was instructed to hand it over. We all sailed through with no problems except the girl who tried not to pay was stamped with the wrong date, lucky she noticed and the tour operator took her back and got it fixed. Also used the Banana Hotel, not impressed with there vans though really squeezey couldn't wait to transfer back to the Thai ones, much more comfy with better aircon

You don't like minivans but you used 5 in 2 hours !

I am speaking about the minivans in Bangkok and Krabi (where I live), the minivans from Hat Yai to Penang are not so bad.

The problem of the companies in Bangkok, Krabi, Satun is that the minivans are old, the arcon in the maximun is powerless, the drivers wait until the minivan is compeltely full and sometiems in different towns, sitting 4 people in a row or 3 in the front, horrible sits, no space at all and the worst is that some drivers go around taking boxes and waiting long time sometimes 20 30 minutes in rural areas, 0 respect to the passenger, and later the they drive so fast that is impossible to relax far away from enjoy the travel

I have a Turkish passport and had a similiar experience fews years ago at Padang Besar crossing. Although I had a brand new tourist visa that I got from Penang, they singled me out at the que and told me I need to have 20,000 baht with me. Of course I didn't have, so they told me to slip 500 baht inside the passport. As there was a minivan waiting for me, I panicked and gave the bribe. Then they let me in to Thailand. Looks like 200 baht was enough though, according to post 14.

Looks like border points at Malaysia are acting like if they are independent from the rest of the country, majority of the hassle is happening at this border. I have never experienced anything like that on other border crossings. Army seems like trying to correct everything in Thailand those days, I hope they deal with those corrupt immigration officers along Malaysia border as well. It is an extremely shitty feeling being singled out of hundreds of people just because you are from a developing country. I really regret not getting a UK passport when I had the chance.

Edited by gezginrocker

Why they were changing officials everywhere if the new ones are quite corrupted, I crossed Padang Besar two times, Langkawi-satun 3 and other frontier that is in the middle of a park weluang o algo similar (cuando hice visas run) nunca tuve ningun problema hasta ahora

I came through Sadeo last night with visa company, all in the van had either non B, non O, ed or business visa's. I had asked about taking 20,000 with me before I left at the visa company office and was told " nonsense not needed they will not ask " well must say they didn't because we were all told to put 200 baht in passport, one girl tried not to, to see what happened, she was instructed to hand it over. We all sailed through with no problems except the girl who tried not to pay was stamped with the wrong date, lucky she noticed and the tour operator took her back and got it fixed. Also used the Banana Hotel, not impressed with there vans though really squeezey couldn't wait to transfer back to the Thai ones, much more comfy with better aircon

What passport nationality where you all from?

A couple of Australians, a French girl, a couple of Philippinos and the rest Russian

A couple of Australians, a French girl, a couple of Philippinos and the rest Russian

I want to clarify that this was a tour where everyone went as a group primarily to obtain a new visa from Penang consulate. This is a very interesting report.

I have done the Sadao border a couple of times (USA passport, non-ed or non-o every time) and had zero problems without any additional 'stamp fee' or out of pocket cost. Was never asked for 20k baht either. The last bus stop right before the border where you can use toilet/exchange money they have an OPTIONAL service where they will fill out most of the arrival and departure card printed in legible English for 2 RM. I just get the card from immigration and fill it out myself, but non-native english speakers I can see where this would be helpful.

The visa run to ranong the non-english speakers get this done included in the visa run service. The visa run company should be handling any 'extras' themselves imo.

• Like 1

I posted a seperate topic, but I saw a link to this. I also had a horrible experience at Sadao, even though I had a valid re-entry permit issued in Bangkok.

I will add that I am from the UK with a British passport, so it seems to apply to everyone. I didn't give in to their extortion attempt and they then stamped the wrong date into my passport.

• Like 1

I want to clarify that this was a tour where everyone went as a group primarily to obtain a new visa from Penang consulate. This is a very interesting report.

I have done the Sadao border a couple of times (USA passport, non-ed or non-o every time) and had zero problems without any additional 'stamp fee' or out of pocket cost. Was never asked for 20k baht either. The last bus stop right before the border where you can use toilet/exchange money they have an OPTIONAL service where they will fill out most of the arrival and departure card printed in legible English for 2 RM. I just get the card from immigration and fill it out myself, but non-native english speakers I can see where this would be helpful.

The visa run to ranong the non-english speakers get this done included in the visa run service. The visa run company should be handling any 'extras' themselves imo.

Yes Visa run company. Also done the Visa run may times with visa run bus's and have never been asked to put money in passport. Was shocked when the girl didn't put and Immigration guy requested it

they then stamped the wrong date into my passport.

What was the ramifications of this?

As indicated above, That one has to visit an immigration office to have it corrected. Some large offices have a dedicated desk for that.

that stupid optional service is the problem for sure, make sense for me since people that really can't write english can't complain or nothing, just pay.

I have a Turkish passport and had a similiar experience fews years ago at Padang Besar crossing. Although I had a brand new tourist visa that I got from Penang, they singled me out at the que and told me I need to have 20,000 baht with me. Of course I didn't have, so they told me to slip 500 baht inside the passport. As there was a minivan waiting for me, I panicked and gave the bribe. Then they let me in to Thailand. Looks like 200 baht was enough though, according to post 14.

Looks like border points at Malaysia are acting like if they are independent from the rest of the country, majority of the hassle is happening at this border. I have never experienced anything like that on other border crossings. Army seems like trying to correct everything in Thailand those days, I hope they deal with those corrupt immigration officers along Malaysia border as well. It is an extremely shitty feeling being singled out of hundreds of people just because you are from a developing country. I really regret not getting a UK passport when I had the chance.

Reading again, I have a temporal passport brand new! just 30 40 days old from my embassy and I moved my visa in the HQ Immigration in Bangkok, probably there is a issue with temporal passwords too

One of my classmates had exactly the same problem about showing 20k in sadao, he told me that they inclusive are taking pictures of you with the money open in the hand

But what he do was do the queue again in another IO box, when the IO said 'Go to the office' he say for what 'I don't need to show money or nothing with a ED I am from x country please check again' and the IO check again and stamp his passport rolleyes.gif

And Immigration office in Krabi was checking the school two days in a row, they have the order to check for Russians, Koreans and Vietnamese (probably Chinese too) are going to school, so Thai Immigration is definitely hunting illegals from these nationalities, not just visa exemptions.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/727092-thai-immigration-border-insecurity-mounts-as-tourist-visa-abuse-is-targeted/

Immigration officials have long expressed concerns that the visa runs are being abused by foreigners who are working illegally in Thailand as language teachers, restaurant owners and staff, real estate agents and tour guides.
He said immigration had received many complaints that South Koreans, Vietnamese and Russians were extending their stays through visa runs and were “stealing” jobs from Thais by working as tour guides and running restaurants.

Edited by ITGabs