Blocked pavements in Chiang Mai

intel4004

I don't think this is a case of me seeing through western eyes since pedestrians need footpaths period.

I believe I have found you flaw in your logic... You are not in Kansas anymore Dorothy...

I was wondering how long it would take for the Dorothy response. Give up and go back to sleep for the rest of this thread my dear !

Let me pose some questions.

No matter what mode of transport you use, everyone has to walk at some time. Would your prefer to walk the streets or footpaths of Chiang Mai if the footpaths were cleared of any and all obstructions?

Having pedestrians walk into a carriageway is never going to be a good idea, especially at night is it?

But then again what's the odd life considering the road death toll here.

I get the impression that those who say they don't care mostly walk from the front door of their apartment to motorbike, motorbike to shop door and back again. So your input is not really valid in this discussion.

When the town planners were laying out CM do you think they built footpaths for motorbikes to park or were they exclusively for pedestrians. You may need to think about this one

Let me pose a question. What is achieved by moaning about it here?

His input is very valid. He may be saying that there are many reasons why this is the norm here and it certainly isn't going to change soon. Most people in Chiang Mai either have more important things to worry about or don't give a shit, and the Op should realise and understand that.

Nobody said they don't care, by the way.

Edited by Chiengmaijoe

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Blame Soloman or Mengrai.

Their designs are very similar.

The Celtic knot appears on the walls around the 3 Kings monument as well...But that's another story.

attachicon.gifChristian-van-adrichom_JERVSALEM-et-suburbia-eius_detail-solomon-temple_1-1497x1000.jpg

Sounds like it would be an interesting story. Going to have a closer look next time I am walking by there.

Actually it's a Celtic knot / cross. As you can clearly see on the pylons. They go all the way around the wall. The two pyramids are also symbolic.

post-87375-0-63264800-1408900166_thumb.j

post-87375-0-93625900-1408900058_thumb.j

If the junta keeps after it, a lot of these problems will be solved. They went after Naklua a few months ago, and if you have not been there for awhile, go check it out. All through town, but especially around the popular Naklua fish market, they have cleared the walkways, and made it very pleasant. They have discussed the same in Pattaya, but it has not yet been enforced. I am still hopeful. Naklua is a real pleasure to walk now. This routine of having to walk in the middle of a busy street because vendors have taken over the sidewalk must end.

I do enjoy those restaurants placing outdoor tables on the sidewalks and blocking them. I'm not so steady on my feet so when I stumble and knock the tabels ascrew I have no one to blame but myself. Sorry that the table clothes and all get knocked to the ground at the time as well.

Must be looking into getting a zimmer or sturdy cane soon...

Political instability, corruption from root to branch, human trafficking, crime, drugs, incompetence, and significant social issues.

Now a happy Farang demands the pavements be cleared.

Cato the Elder wrote "The average Roman only cares about the pebble in his shoe". True then, true today.

Sorry, I've got better things to do than argue with you on whether certain behaviour can be changed or not. Nite nite, and I'm begging you...go to bed NOW!

Wait.. you open a topic on a certain behavior you don't like, and then don't want to discuss if it can be changed or not? rolleyes.gif

Anyway, the below paradise is in Sweden. Hint hint.

post-64232-0-97241900-1408949967_thumb.j

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai
  • Like 1

Sorry, I've got better things to do than argue with you on whether certain behaviour can be changed or not. Nite nite, and I'm begging you...go to bed NOW!

Wait.. you open a topic on a certain behavior you don't like, and then don't want to discuss if it can be changed or not? rolleyes.gif

Anyway, the below paradise is in Sweden. Hint hint.

attachicon.gifsidewalk-and-bikepath-in-ve2889ac2a7stra-hamnen-malme2889ae28882-sweden-5.jpg

Only a fool or a liar wouldn't want CM to look like that.

Safe, peaceful, clean...

It's not rocket science.

If you want your town to look for a war zone the middle east still has some choices just for you.

Political instability, corruption from root to branch, human trafficking, crime, drugs, incompetence, and significant social issues.

Now a happy Farang demands the pavements be cleared.

Cato the Elder wrote "The average Roman only cares about the pebble in his shoe". True then, true today.

I take it you are speaking of the farongs.

The Thais think nothing of it. It is a way of life for them. Farongs who choose to complain rather than adapt are just setting them selves up for frustration. Or trying to pretend they are in their own country only the prices are cheaper.wai.gif

So I take it it's unanimous we would like the foot paths to be cleared then.

smile.png

Confirmed; hereby officially accepted by unanimous decision of the Thaivisa Farang Council.

New policy will go into effect tomorrow, 27 August 2014 at midnight.

Motorbikes, noodle carts, women-of-the-second-category and other obstacles blocking the pavement will be tipped over without prior notification.

Thank you all for contributing, and the speedy decision making process.

post-64232-0-20097700-1409022248_thumb.j

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai
  • Like 1

I, for one, do not wish it to change.

You'd prefer to walk on the road dodging cars and motorcycles which often get too close. You are happy to share the same space as the traffic!

Let me repeat myself... You actually don't want this to change! You are happy to give way to motorbikes blocking the footpath originally meant for you to walk on.

Less than 2 hours ago I witnessed the aftermath of an accident near Maya shopping Centre on the 'super' highway. The motorcyclist was flat on her back, no movement. Then another woman came grabbed her by the arms and literally DRAGGED her onto the hard shoulder. There was no assessment of this woman's injuries, it was a case of "Oh lets get her out of the way of traffic". There was no need for this as the car involved was blocking/shielding from oncoming traffic on the slow lane. People here seem to be very accepting of risk to stick to their old ways.

Maybe I should add some context here as to why I am so sensitive on clearing and improving footpaths. I have someone coming to visit me soon who has restricted mobility and needs a wheelchair to go distances. Today having ridden around and tried to look at the state of the footpaths through the eyes of a person with these issues we would simply have resort to the road to use the wheelchair. Even if the paths were cleared of temporary obstructions it would still be out of the question to use footpaths due to their condition and permanent obstacles. This means us sharing the road space with traffic, and using the right hand side so at I can at least see what's coming. I or we don't expect any special consideration getting around and we will make do, after all it is our decision to be here.

My suggestion may have been tainted by my relationship with this person and some of our experiences in the UK when people show a lack of awareness of others, less able bodied. I honestly believe if the footpaths here could be improved by removing temporary obstacles (motorbikes, merchant's boards, cafe furniture, etc) it would be a start and in everyone's interests and a far nicer city to walk around. Initially it wouldn't even cost the local authority anything to enforce clear paths, they might even make money from fines. If they are currently clearing certain streets in Bangkok of traders blocking footpaths there is no reason they can't do something similar here.

It would be great to hear the thoughts of people with mobility issues join in on this discussion, see forked discussion here.

Just seen this advert running on the website called Invisible Thailand!!

Interesting please see this also

Edited by intel4004

You'd prefer to walk on the road dodging cars and motorcycles which often get too close. You are happy to share the same space as the traffic!

Let me repeat myself... You actually don't want this to change! You are happy to give way to motorbikes blocking the footpath originally meant for you to walk on.

Less than 2 hours ago I witnessed the aftermath of an accident near Maya shopping Centre on the 'super' highway. The motorcyclist was flat on her back, no movement. Then another woman came grabbed her by the arms and literally DRAGGED her onto the hard shoulder. There was no assessment of this woman's injuries, it was a case of "Oh lets get her out of the way of traffic". There was no need for this as the car involved was blocking/shielding from oncoming traffic on the slow lane. People here seem to be very accepting of risk to stick to their old ways.

Maybe I should add some context here as to why I am so sensitive on clearing and improving footpaths. I have someone coming to visit me soon who has restricted mobility and needs a wheelchair to go distances. Today having ridden around and tried to look at the state of the footpaths through the eyes of a person with these issues we would simply have resort to the road to use the wheelchair. Even if the paths were cleared of temporary obstructions it would still be out of the question to use footpaths due to their condition and permanent obstacles. This means us sharing the road space with traffic, and using the right hand side so at I can at least see what's coming. I or we don't expect any special consideration getting around and we will make do, after all it is our decision to be here.

My suggestion may have been tainted by my relationship with this person and some of our experiences in the UK when people show a lack of awareness of others, less able bodied. I honestly believe if the footpaths here could be improved by removing temporary obstacles (motorbikes, merchant's boards, cafe furniture, etc) it would be a start and in everyone's interests and a far nicer city to walk around. Initially it wouldn't even cost the local authority anything to enforce clear paths, they might even make money from fines. If they are currently clearing certain streets in Bangkok of traders blocking footpaths there is no reason they can't do something similar here.

It would be great to hear the thoughts of people with mobility issues join in on this discussion, see forked discussion here.

Just to give you some reality. I am not in a wheelchair but I am some what impaired walking. Clear the foot paths and I will still choose the streets. The up and down and holes in the foot paths plus the different elevations is defiantly not foot traffic unimpaired or impaired. For sure a wheel chair or a walker are out of the question. The bare foot paths are not pedestrian friendly.

Yes there are places that you must use them but I generally stay away from them. Perhaps take your friend to a handicapped friendlier city. Not that I know of one. But I am sure some one on the board will know of one.wai.gif

As for the accident you witnessed you should be talking about people taking a first aid course. Got nothing to do with the foot paths.

• Like 1

Just to give you some reality. I am not in a wheelchair but I am some what impaired walking. Clear the foot paths and I will still choose the streets. The up and down and holes in the foot paths plus the different elevations is defiantly not foot traffic unimpaired or impaired. For sure a wheel chair or a walker are out of the question. The bare foot paths are not pedestrian friendly.

Yes there are places that you must use them but I generally stay away from them. Perhaps take your friend to a handicapped friendlier city. Not that I know of one. But I am sure some one on the board will know of one.wai.gif

As for the accident you witnessed you should be talking about people taking a first aid course. Got nothing to do with the foot paths.

I was hoping the last sentence in the third paragraph would have been a clue as to why I included the incident today.

As to the footpaths there are a few not many that are useable.

It's also good to see there are Thais who are not happy with the footpath situation and other annoyances. I think things will change for sure but I won't be holding my breath.

I was hoping the last sentence in the third paragraph would have been a clue as to why I included the incident today.

As to the footpaths there are a few not many that are useable.

It's also good to see there are Thais who are not happy with the footpath situation and other annoyances. I think things will change for sure but I won't be holding my breath.

You say

"People here seem to be very accepting of risk to stick to their old ways."

If I was happy with them I would not have moved to Thailand. smile.png

Merchants of any kind will push and push to gain customers, even lookers. Push into the street until some authority rectifies the situation.

I walk to the market but yesterday i smashed my head into the newly installed lamp above a new billboard, at ground level. Lamp was high enough for most thais but not me. And it was hidden under a tree limb. I did not like it at all. And i do not like the giant LED TV advert screens on busy street corners. Very annoying and often dangerous, as distracting to drivers. Ugly.

Near me is a pub whose signboard and customer motos nearly always block the path and force walkers onto HuayKaew Rd. How to address this issue? Retaliate or accept?

Merchants of any kind will push and push to gain customers, even lookers. Push into the street until some authority rectifies the situation.

I walk to the market but yesterday i smashed my head into the newly installed lamp above a new billboard, at ground level. Lamp was high enough for most thais but not me. And it was hidden under a tree limb. I did not like it at all. And i do not like the giant LED TV advert screens on busy street corners. Very annoying and often dangerous, as distracting to drivers. Ugly.

Near me is a pub whose signboard and customer motos nearly always block the path and force walkers onto HuayKaew Rd. How to address this issue? Retaliate or accept?

I was crossing the super highway to go to the Central Festival. Coming from the North west corner to the North east corner. There is a huge highway sign denoting the two highways you have to step in the street to get around. I did and got back on the foot path and walked into two normal highway signs saying the same thing as the big one. Only they were hung at head height and I walked into it and cut my self pretty bad on the nose. I was watching the foot path for holes and rough spots.

If any one saw some one walking around Central Festival with a folded up napkin on their nose it was me. So you see it is not only the merchants that bugger up the foot paths the government does to.

• Like 2

I don't think this is a case of me seeing through western eyes since pedestrians need footpaths period.

I believe I have found you flaw in your logic... You are not in Kansas anymore Dorothy...

I was wondering how long it would take for the Dorothy response. Give up and go back to sleep for the rest of this thread my dear !

Let me pose some questions.

No matter what mode of transport you use, everyone has to walk at some time. Would your prefer to walk the streets or footpaths of Chiang Mai if the footpaths were cleared of any and all obstructions?

Having pedestrians walk into a carriageway is never going to be a good idea, especially at night is it?

But then again what's the odd life considering the road death toll here.

I get the impression that those who say they don't care mostly walk from the front door of their apartment to motorbike, motorbike to shop door and back again. So your input is not really valid in this discussion.

When the town planners were laying out CM do you think they built footpaths for motorbikes to park or were they exclusively for pedestrians. You may need to think about this one

Denying the truth is not a valid argument... Blocking the pavement with parked vehicles is nothing unique to Thailand... Travel to any 2nd or 3rd world country and you will find it is the norm as opposed to the exception... So perhaps you should travel more before making blinkered comments...

You last comment shows just how short-sighted you really are... Do you really think the "town planners" gave much thought to motorbikes in the year 1262? coffee1.gif

In Melbourne motorcyclists regularly parked on the footpath, albeit much wider footpaths than in Chiang. When there was a crackdown many of the motorcyclist got into the city early and parked in meter parking areas stopping motorists from being finding parking spots. It soon went back the status quo.

• Like 1

To compare Chiang Mai to Melbourne is pure madness.

Melbourne has wide and accessible footpaths and the motorbikes do not cause any hindrance to pedestrians. It is designed to get them off the road freeing up parking spaces or loading zones.

Here they park on footpaths out of laziness, no other reason.

• Like 1

To compare Chiang Mai to Melbourne is pure madness.

Melbourne has wide and accessible footpaths and the motorbikes do not cause any hindrance to pedestrians. It is designed to get them off the road freeing up parking spaces or loading zones.

Here they park on footpaths out of laziness, no other reason.

The principal is the same. The streets do not have room for both vehicles in either city and must use the footpath.

Any how I agree with the previous poster that they gave no thought to motor bike parking when the city was laid out. In fact not being here I can not say but I would imagine they gave them no thought 50 years ago either.

I like the Seattle plan. Their is a really good bus system there and any place in the core area the bus is free.