Taking packed bicycle on the train and to Suvarnabhumi

mrkapom

Hello everyone,

I'm flying out of BKK next month, and I need to figure out a way to get down there from Chiang Mai with my bicycle in tow.

Ideally, I will be able to pack up my bike and other touring equipment (panniers, racks, etc) in a cardboard bike box BEFORE I leave Chiang Mai, take that on the train, then go straight to the airport from the train station to check it in. If I can't pack it up before, I'll have to deal with finding a box in Bangkok and packing in some bike store somewhere, and everything will be less compact and more annoying to move around.

So...does anyone have any experience doing this?

Can I take a big box like that on the train? This seems possible, I just want to know if anyone with firsthand experience can confirm. Would I check it in the cargo car, or keep it in my seat area with me?

Can I take this big box on the bus that goes from the train station to Suvarnabhumi? If not, do I have any other options? I took a tuk tuk with a bike box once, and it although worked out fine in the end, other methods would probably be cheaper/less precarious. It doesn't fit in normal-sized taxis.

I have considered flying down, but it's pretty pricey when you factor in the bike fee from CNX to BKK.

I have also considered taking a bus, which I think would be possible, but that's the last choice...

Thanks!

OK, just found out that there is a Mo Chit BTS Station, which I could easliy walk to from the Mo Chit bus station, then make it to the airport by BTS.... I had been misinformed before that there was no MO Chit BTS station...

That being the case, the bus option now looks much more attractive.

Still soliciting helpful advice/personal experiences!!!

Thanks

you can also carry it with train. But you need to do it only with the trains with cargo wagon. Cheap to carry and you dont need to box it. they tie it down good and it is safe still they allow you to lock it if you want.

if you cannot ride to Chiang Mai, nothing like a train journey with your bike/motorcycle in the cargo wagon while you are drinking your beers at Pantry wagon!

Edited by ll2

Pack it up before leaving Chiang Mai.

Chiang Mai Railway Station are reliable with freight. With any kind of damageable goods like this, pack it up very well and write "fragile" and "this way up" on the box in 2 languages if appropriate.

I am assuming this is not a fold-away bike. If you can carry it onto the train, there is no need to freight it. However it depends on the size of the box. Think of a very large suitcase. If it is way bigger than that, freight it. The cost of the cargo on the train to Chiang Mai will be less than 1000 Baht.

You need to think of transporting from Hua Lamphong, Bang Seu, or any of the other BKK stations to Suwannaphum. Will it fit in the boot or back or a taxi even if the boot was secured with bungee ropes? It would be easier than getting the bus. You could try the airport rail link but I don't know if they accept oversize check-in luggage. Failing all, just get the taxi to phone one of those tall (Suzuki APV) taxis. It would certainly fit in that.

• Like 1

OK, just found out that there is a Mo Chit BTS Station, which I could easliy walk to from the Mo Chit bus station, then make it to the airport by BTS.... I had been misinformed before that there was no MO Chit BTS station...

Despite having the same name, they are NOT walkable distance apart. Even without luggage, getting from the bus station to the BTS station requires a taxi.

So don't figure on walking from the bus station to the BTS with luggage and a packed bicycle.

I've taken a bike on the trains many times but never boxed up but it shouldn't make a difference. It usually costs 90 baht and you load it yourself and pick it up at the destination. Should be no problem putting it on the airport bus that leaves from the train station.