Mobile Planetarium in Phuket?

alansiporin

Nothing has been updated on their facebook page in over a year. My guess is they are no longer in business. There is a phone number at the PG and FB pages you can try.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Evolution-Cinema-Planetarium/496150193780048

http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-business/Phuket-gets-first-Evolution-Cinema-Planetarium-in-Thailand/20757#ad-image-0

...better than goggle sky and less system hungry, type Stellarium into your search engine and download their free open source planetarium software. Once downloaded just set your coordinates in the settings tab and go. Very easy to use and if you have a laptop you can set it to night-mode (red display) and use it outside as a guide when using a telescope/binoculars. Dunno how good the seeing is these days on planet Phuket, light pollution, hot air from forum members, etc, but if you’ve got a big enough telly, plug in ya lap top for your very own indoor show.

Google sky is a nice and simple android app (free) to identify the objects in the sky, simply by pointing the phone to the objects. Stellarium for planning when to go to see the sky.

There are sill remote areas in Phuket where it's possible to see the stars quite well. The biggest problem is the air moisture when looking up to the sky.

No software beast the feeling when seeing the moons of the Jupiter (just as dots) or the craters on the moon. I have not yet managed to capture a good image of the Milky way, but hoping to be able to do that when the rain season ends and the air is clearer.

Google sky is a nice and simple android app (free) to identify the objects in the sky, simply by pointing the phone to the objects. Stellarium for planning when to go to see the sky.

There are sill remote areas in Phuket where it's possible to see the stars quite well. The biggest problem is the air moisture when looking up to the sky.

No software beast the feeling when seeing the moons of the Jupiter (just as dots) or the craters on the moon. I have not yet managed to capture a good image of the Milky way, but hoping to be able to do that when the rain season ends and the air is clearer.

“Stellarium for planning when to go to see the sky.”

Hab sheesh...either you cannot use the software properly, or...oh, never mind...coffee1.gif.pagespeed.ce.Ymlsr09gMJ.gif

Stellerium, once and once only, the cords have been set, the view is in real time...you don’t hab to plan nowt! It also has good search and zoom (real time again) for the object you type in the search function. Air moisture is indeed a problem but some improvement to the seeing can be sought by positioning at the highest elevation possible. I’m located at 85m AOD and the winter views are quite spectacular although light pollution still intrudes. Plan your milky way photos carefully as long exposures on good quality kit will be required. Concerning Jupiter, looking East before dawn on September 20th, Jupiter, at magnitude -1.9, will be seen just under 6 degrees up and to the left of a thin crescent Moon. Even through a good pair of say, 10x50 binoculars, you should be able to see at least 4 of the Jovian moons. shock1.gif

I think just might use Stellarium for planning my Milky way shots as I don't take my laptop with me when I wish to take the pictures, thus the real time function of the program is not for me. Google sky is for seeing things in realtime. It also uses gps, compass and the accelerometers to show the augmented real time sky view.

The humidity here in tropics is always an issue when trying to get a clear picture of very distant objects. I was quite surprised how differently the sky looked when I visited my northern home. The sky was much clearer than it ever is here. Great for moon and sky photography. Finally, after almost two years, I managed to get a picture of the sun spots when the sun was setting at 11pm.

...better than goggle sky and less system hungry, type Stellarium into your search engine and download their free open source planetarium software. Once downloaded just set your coordinates in the settings tab and go. Very easy to use and if you have a laptop you can set it to night-mode (red display) and use it outside as a guide when using a telescope/binoculars. Dunno how good the seeing is these days on planet Phuket, light pollution, hot air from forum members, etc, but if you’ve got a big enough telly, plug in ya lap top for your very own indoor show.

One problem with that. I can't find duct tape strong enough to hold my laptop to the ceiling.

I think just might use Stellarium for planning my Milky way shots as I don't take my laptop with me when I wish to take the pictures, thus the real time function of the program is not for me. Google sky is for seeing things in realtime. It also uses gps, compass and the accelerometers to show the augmented real time sky view.

The humidity here in tropics is always an issue when trying to get a clear picture of very distant objects. I was quite surprised how differently the sky looked when I visited my northern home. The sky was much clearer than it ever is here. Great for moon and sky photography. Finally, after almost two years, I managed to get a picture of the sun spots when the sun was setting at 11pm.

Bookmark this excellent site – updated monthly.

www.jodrellbank.manchester.ac.uk/astronomy/nightsky/

Edited by billythehat

One problem with that. I can't find duct tape strong enough to hold my laptop to the ceiling.

A million laughs Joe...perhaps a different supplier for ya tape then or just plug yerself into ya telly! tongue.png

• Like 1