Bike Racing, Track Days and building /buying a trackbike

FachMach73

Hi All,

Im new on the forum but have lived here for 4 years...

I live near Cha am and there is a local circuit...Now next year I want to get back on track !

I don't know where the last 4 years have gone but enough is enough I need my fix ! hahaha

I need help out there from fellow racers.

Now if wanted to race here....there must be a race license you need ...like the ACU in the UK ?

I also need help finding shops that sell either racebikes or damaged road bikes...

In the UK we used to source lightly damaged road bikes as these were prefect to prep as racebikes.

There must be shops here where you can buy damaged road bikes ?

is there a website I can browse secondhand racebikes or damaged bikes ???

In my old age hahaha and because of the lack of choice here a Er6 built to minitwin spec

would be fun....but I would keep my options open for an older 600/1000....

Can anyone help get this old racer back on track ?smile.png

Cheers,

FM

post-220291-0-01046100-1410673411_thumb.

hey fachmach.

welcome back!

i am not a racer but never miss track days around bangkok. also attend the races mostly with the aim of finishing the race in one piece and not finishing the lastlaugh.png

kaeng krachan track you are talking about is not used for motorbike track days much as people complain like dangerous, but it is a really fun track. you can pay the fee and do track day all day but alone it is not that fun imo.

also BIRA track at pattaya and Thailand Circuit are other choices. there is one in Buri Ram about to open and it will be thailand's first track with international standards, both safety and track design. first track day there is in December!

and age never a problem. we have 77 years old two stroker guys and other elder gentleman at track days that mostly smoke youngsters!

instead of a damaged bike, you can get an inline liter bike without plate or registration. can get one even for 150 k thb but you need to work on it.

check mocyc.com and www.bigbikemarket.com with help from google translation.

and kawa er6 is a good and common choice here as they are cheap, sturdy, torquey and tracks here are tight and short.

i open a topic here when there is a trackday so come and join!

Edited by ll2

hey fachmach.

welcome back!

i am not a racer but never miss track days around bangkok. also attend the races mostly with the aim of finishing the race in one piece and not finishing the lastlaugh.png

kaeng krachan track you are talking about is not used for motorbike track days much as people complain like dangerous, but it is a really fun track. you can pay the fee and do track day all day but alone it is not that fun imo.

also BIRA track at pattaya and Thailand Circuit are other choices. there is one in Buri Ram about to open and it will be thailand's first track with international standards, both safety and track design. first track day there is in December!

and age never a problem. we have 77 years old two stroker guys and other elder gentleman at track days that mostly smoke youngsters!

instead of a damaged bike, you can get an inline liter bike without plate or registration. can get one even for 150 k thb but you need to work on it.

and kawa er6 is a good and common choice here as they are cheap, sturdy, torquey and tracks here are tight and short.

Wonderful to know there is a scene out there....I would love to get out there and have some fun...it will be next year...

Kaeng Krachan looks fine to me maybe a lack of run off in places...but not much difference in places to the woodlands

course we raced at Cadwell in 2008 when there wasn't enough Marshalls to cover the full circuit...now that was fun ! hahaha

Plenty packed up and went home but most of us would have race around the paddock...Shame theres no action at KK.

Now that track in Buriam sounds fun...it would be great to plan a handful of trackdays/races over a year...

give me something to look forward to...

So what license do you need ???

Nice to hear there are some old timers out there ! 77 that's great...why not eh ?

2 strokes mmmm the smell of Castrol R hahaha

Ive been having a look around the sites...thanks for that.

I have be wondering about bikes with no plate / reg...if there just going on the track?

it that ok ? just heard a lot of scare mongering...

The last bike I was raced were Suzuki SV650s ( No2 ) in the North East Championship (UK ) it was Minitwin spec.

The guy we were chasing was a Dave Bell ( No21 ) he was on a ER6 for years as well as a winner

on 1000s...he preferred the Er6...as it was simply more fun....he would ride and win on both over the weekend.

I raced all classes...and have to say the 400cc/650twins have been the most fun...

Ive seen ER6 with green books and everything for 129.000-150K....be nice to find something cheaper

so I get the right tyres, suspension, brakes and exhaust...has to green of course : )

Yes let me know when its all going on !!!

Here some pictures....

the older I am the faster I was of course !!!!

post-220291-0-33738700-1410783603_thumb.

post-220291-0-43689600-1410783626_thumb.

post-220291-0-00550400-1410783740_thumb.

post-220291-0-56322200-1410783866_thumb.

Edited by FachMach73

hey fachmach.

welcome back!

Wonderful to know there is a scene out there....I would love to get out there and have some fun...it will be next year...

Kaeng Krachan looks fine to me maybe a lack of run off in places...but not much difference in places to the woodlands

course we raced at Cadwell in 2008 when there wasn't enough Marshalls to cover the full circuit...now that was fun ! hahaha

Plenty packed up and went home but most of us would have race around the paddock...Shame theres no action at KK.

Now that track in Buriam sounds fun...it would be great to plan a handful of trackdays/races over a year...

Nice to hear there are some old timers out there ! 77 that's great...why not eh ?

I have be wondering about bikes with no plate / reg...if there just going on the track?

The last bike I was raced were Suzuki SV650s ( No2 ) in the North East Championship (UK ) it was Minitwin spec.

The guy we were chasing was a Dave Bell ( No21 ) he was on a ER6 for years as well as a winner

on 1000s...he preferred the Er6...as it was simply more fun....he would ride and win on both over the weekend.

I raced all classes...and have to say the 400cc/650twins have been the most fun...

Ive seen ER6 with green books and everything for 129.000-150K....be nice to find something cheaper

so I get the right tyres, suspension, brakes and exhaust...has to green of course : )

Here some pictures....

nice photos!

you do not need any special license to ride on a track.

And bikes with no plate are OK for track use only - you can ride these type of bikes at villages and away from the cities but always have a chance to get a problem, especially in the future. but track use is totally fine and not illegal with excise and import tax documents. So, check excise and import tax documents before buying one.

kawa er6n makes sense as many riders do trackdays here with it. As i stated, tracks are short and tight here so low cc light and flickable bikes especially torquey twins makes great sense, a buddy of mine always smokes inline 4 bikes with it and recently he won again a cup.

also they are cheap, easy to work on and legal everywhere so you can ride it around town as well. put a full system exhaust, a dynojet pc5 and an air filter with some airbox mods and lighten it a bit, it goes great. Also you need to play with the sprockets for more acceleration that speed as track here does not have long flats too.

just follow the track day topics here at Thai visa. I will try to inform you as well.

hey fachmach.

welcome back!

Here some pictures....

nice photos!

And bikes with no plate are OK for track use only - you can ride these type of bikes at villages and away from the cities but always have a chance to get a problem, especially in the future. but track use is totally fine and not illegal with excise and import tax documents. So, check excise and import tax documents before buying one.

kawa er6n makes sense as many riders do trackdays here with it. As i stated, tracks are short and tight here so low cc light and flickable bikes especially torquey twins makes great sense, a buddy of mine always smokes inline 4 bikes with it and recently he won again a cup.

also they are cheap, easy to work on and legal everywhere so you can ride it around town as well. put a full system exhaust, a dynojet pc5 and an air filter with some airbox mods and lighten it a bit, it goes great. Also you need to play with the sprockets for more acceleration that speed as track here does not have long flats too.

just follow the track day topics here at Thai visa. I will try to inform you as well.

Hi ! glad you like the photos....id love to do some days next year...just have to find the right bike..most likely an ER6...of course...Thanks for the advice regarding bike documents...i wasnt sure really..i get mixed messages...Yeah..an ER6 will be enough...to have some serious fun ....Yeah i will do all the usual mods..but no real engine tuning...mind ive heard you can get alot out of the ER6 now..in the Supertwins classes...but i want to keep to UK Minitwins spec..whats the gearing for an ER6 at the tracks. my rule of thumb used to be down 1 on the front and up 2 on the rear ? hahaha mind it was while ago. My main concern is Suspension and Decent tyres here...I use to Use ( Pirelli supercorsa SC1,SC2 and SC3 if i rememeber? ) Suspension wise is the YSS rear shocks any good? or should i get some from the UK ( Maxton etc ) same with the front forks ive heard there pretty basic...but will a spring kit and oil from Thailand....be good enough on track ?...i will look up previous topics when i have a chance...any advice is really appreciated....i have to loose about 5kg as well ! hahaha hope everyone is well Cheers FM

Great photos, if you ever come up to Bira let us know. We're there most Mondays.

Yes some old photos from 2009...i cant believe it was that long ago now : (((

I have to sort this...get back out !

Im certain i will get there in 2015 : ))) Im enjoying all this research in racing/trackdays here..

An ER6 is good enough for me...all my brain could cope with nowadays hahaha !!!

hey fachmach.

welcome back!

Here some pictures....

nice photos!

Hi ! glad you like the photos....id love to do some days next year...just have to find the right bike..most likely an ER6...of course...Thanks for the advice regarding bike documents...i wasnt sure really..i get mixed messages...Yeah..an ER6 will be enough...to have some serious fun ....Yeah i will do all the usual mods..but no real engine tuning...mind ive heard you can get alot out of the ER6 now..in the Supertwins classes...but i want to keep to UK Minitwins spec..whats the gearing for an ER6 at the tracks. my rule of thumb used to be down 1 on the front and up 2 on the rear ? hahaha mind it was while ago. My main concern is Suspension and Decent tyres here...I use to Use ( Pirelli supercorsa SC1,SC2 and SC3 if i rememeber? ) Suspension wise is the YSS rear shocks any good? or should i get some from the UK ( Maxton etc ) same with the front forks ive heard there pretty basic...but will a spring kit and oil from Thailand....be good enough on track ?...i will look up previous topics when i have a chance...any advice is really appreciated....i have to loose about 5kg as well ! hahaha hope everyone is well Cheers FM

a yamaha r series or any honda cbr rr and suzuki gsxr will fit your bill too, can get one without a plate for nearly the same prices of a kawasaki er6n but you might have to to fork out some money for inline fours for repairs etc.

They do every kind of modification for er6n. check RSv racing bangkok .

http://rsvracing.com/

They do any kind of modification you want for any bike and kawasaki er6n.

They put rearsets, upside down fork, swing arm from gsxr, brembo brakes and linking parts, steering damper and mounting point brackets whatever you want as long as you have enough budget.

Pirelli here sells supercorsas, sc2 is good for here and popular. YSS is a good suspension brand but as i stated, RSV Racing can even put an ohlins unit for your bike. gearing should be at least 3 tooth up.

good luck, you can ask for advice anytime here before buying the bike and parts.

regards.

• Like 1

Hi II2,

Thanks for all the advice...im still doing some digging and seeing what is out there...

The RSV site...wow the skys the limit....so impressive stuff they do...

I will take your advice on an Inv/tax only bike...as it will just be for track use..

I will be in touch for sure...have a great weekend !smile.png

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

Still researching about racing and trackdays.

I see there is a series called the R2M superbike....

Does anyone know much about the series...

Race location and dates , entry fees etc.????

Also interested to know what bikes you could race in classic 1000's

old Fireblades are over 20 years old now...or is it much older stuff ?

from the 1980s?

Still swinging towards an Er6...hope anyone can help !

Cheers FM

Hi all,

Still researching about racing and trackdays.

I see there is a series called the R2M superbike....

Does anyone know much about the series...

Race location and dates , entry fees etc.????

Also interested to know what bikes you could race in classic 1000's

old Fireblades are over 20 years old now...or is it much older stuff ?

from the 1980s?

Still swinging towards an Er6...hope anyone can help !

Cheers FM

check it out from their page. they update dates and times.

https://www.facebook.com/R2Mclub

there is a thriving bike scene in ubon ratchatani with a new big bike shop only, he has a few late model gsxr 1000"s for sale , but he told me that unless a bike has a book, it could be seized.

the guy seems fairly legit however i am a bit worried about having a bike with tax only papers. i have been told that they can be seized even if the bike is in your house and not being used on the road.

i do not know if this is gospel but it certainly scares me about buying a big bike again as the prices of big bikes in Thailand are horrendously expensive compared to Australia.

there is a thriving bike scene in ubon ratchatani with a new big bike shop only, he has a few late model gsxr 1000"s for sale , but he told me that unless a bike has a book, it could be seized.

the guy seems fairly legit however i am a bit worried about having a bike with tax only papers. i have been told that they can be seized even if the bike is in your house and not being used on the road.

i do not know if this is gospel but it certainly scares me about buying a big bike again as the prices of big bikes in Thailand are horrendously expensive compared to Australia.

i guess off road dirt bikes can be confiscated too. Ok what im saying is why would someone confiscate your bike if its legal and not ridden on the road?

the shop owner told me it applies to bikes brought in as a (grey) import, as in a private import.

most of the off road bikes i have seen seem not to be imported by individuals.

the problems with registering these bikes is well known and he was quite sure that they can take them if they want to.

he has two BMW's as track bikes , the owner of another shop in UBON has a KTM , they have a few friends who all put their bikes in a truck and seem to travel all over to trackways in thailand.

the one major difference between track bikes in OZ and track bikes in THAILAND is that most aussies strip all excess weight of their bikes , put race glass on then and try to maximise power to weight ratio while the se thai boys seem to just upgrade the original bike with aftermarket bling.

i guess being 60 kg's wringing wet does have it advantages for them.

i would love to be proven wrong in this regard as i would love to buy a bike myself for the track and i can source unplanted bikes at a reasonable price , i am just worried about sergeant somchai taking a liking to it and putting it his garage.

rob

post-108778-0-99273300-1413691923_thumb.

Edited by moose7117