"Show" money with tourist visa

I will be entering Suwannaphoom on the first entry of a triple-entry tourist visa after a month back in the UK.

I have many previous tourist visas but no previous visa exemptions. I never enter on them. I have just one 60-->90 day tourist visa extension.

I have a return ticket to the UK.

I will be carrying about £1000 in cash.

Question : Should I also have some Baht to show?

No. The exchange rate will be shocking from a UK bank.

And you will more than likely not be asked to show anything.

Exchange rate would be immaterial as I would get the money out of the bank before I leave Thailand. tongue.png

I was more interested in current policy at Suwannaphoom regarding people entering on tourist visa who have lots of previous tourist visas.

Exchange rate would be immaterial as I would get the money out of the bank before I leave Thailand. tongue.png

I was more interested in current policy at Suwannaphoom regarding people entering on tourist visa who have lots of previous tourist visas.

Yes I am aware you would get your money out of the bank before you leave. Hence I said you will get a crap rate. High street banks take about 2 baht to the pound when you change your money with them.

So change your money in England and get 2 baht per pound less or change it in Thailand and only lose .25 baht per pound... Upto you as they say.

Never been asked. I usually have just enough THB to get from the airport to my Citibank in Bangkok, where I make a withdrawal to cover me for the month, including rent on my place.

If you appear smart and relaxed, they will have no reason to be suspicious of anything.

Yes I am aware you would get your money out of the bank before you leave. Hence I said you will get a crap rate. High street banks take about 2 baht to the pound when you change your money with them.

So change your money in England and get 2 baht per pound less or change it in Thailand and only lose .25 baht per pound... Upto you as they say.

Please re-read my post. You have probably skim read and thus misunderstood. wai2.gif

• Like 2

Last year and this year for my tourist visa, I have to present to the Consulate a letter (original) from my bank on their letterhead, stamped and signed, stating that I have 1000 euros in my account. (I'm only coming for 2 months.) Last year, it was 2000 euros (for 4 months.) Last year, nobody at Immigration, asked me for anything and never have done so in all these years.

Edited by Gillyflower

You never know they may ask you for a return ticket and fund. The amount of fund you carry should be enough for the length of your stay. So if they ask you how long will you stay and you give wrong information as 30 days instead of 90 days they will only give you 30 days visa. So carry enough dollar or pound etc. It does not have to be in Thai currency. You should ask Embassy or immigration if you can and find out how much money is sufficient for a month on a tourist visa. I know if a person from Phillipine come to Thailand they get 30 days visa on arrival and they have to show 10 000 Baht. But for us not sure.

You never know they may ask you for a return ticket and fund. The amount of fund you carry should be enough for the length of your stay. So if they ask you how long will you stay and you give wrong information as 30 days instead of 90 days they will only give you 30 days visa. So carry enough dollar or pound etc. It does not have to be in Thai currency. You should ask Embassy or immigration if you can and find out how much money is sufficient for a month on a tourist visa. I know if a person from Phillipine come to Thailand they get 30 days visa on arrival and they have to show 10 000 Baht. But for us not sure.

Totally incorrect.

First of all the the amounts dictate by regulation are well known, no need to ask any embassy: 10,000 Bt visa exempt, 20,000 Bt when having a visa.

Second, there are fixed amount. Nothing depends by ":length of stay". If you are entitled to 30 days visa exempt that is what you will get, 60 days tourist visa, etc. That is not left to officer decision

Third, it is known that immigration never ask to see any money except well known cases at land borders in the south, where they want the passport to be greased with few hundreds bahts or just want to make it difficult.

Been going to Thailand since 1980, at least once and sometimes several times a year - never been asked to show funds or even a confirmed return ticket (which I didn't have for the first few years as I was using a "sub-load" ["subject-to-load" i.e. only get a seat if not full] ticket for airline staff). Just try and not look like a pauper. (e.g. "will work for food" signs around your neck are a dead give-away, try and avoid these, or at least take them off going through immigration).