Visa/Extention of stay and changing jobs

I'm looking for some advice from the experts please. I've been working at a teaching job for a couple of terms now. The job is a project, so therefore has been reviewed towards the end of each term and has carried on for a total of 3 terms now.

I have a B Visa and work permit. The current term is due to finish on 26th September at my schools. My next 90 day report is due on 6th October. Work permit up until end of October.

When the contract for this term was submitted to immigration for the extension, the administrator in charge of sorting it all out, made the contract until the end of November. A few days ago we had an email to say "We are not sure if the project will continue or not at this stage."

My question is this; can I notify my 90 day report and keep the same visa for the time being until we find out what's going on? (could be the day before term at this rate) If I can do this it will give me time to go about my plans for the term break with my family and look for other employment in case this falls through.

Thanks

As long as you still have your job (not terminated) and your work permit has not be canceled you can stay on your extension of stay (it is not a visa).

If they do not renew the work permit they should give you a letter stating your job will on the date your work permit expires. You can go to immigration a few days before that date to have your extension canceled. Then you must leave on that date or apply for a 7 day extension, pay 1900 baht and be given 7 days to leave.

• Like 2

Thanks for that. As long as I'm fine to be in the country while they decide if the job is going ahead that's fine.

If the job ends, do you think there will be a problem with going to Laos and applying for a tourist visa right away, while I'm in the process of getting new employment? I saw something on here about someone being refused because they had been working as a teacher and didn't get take a residency certificate with them? Is this nessesary because I'll be applying for a "tourist" visa and tourists don't usually have this kind of paperwork?

no problem in applying for a tourist visa in Royal Thai Embassy in Vientiane.

should that not read Consulate rather than Embassy?

Embassy is correct. You apply for visas at the consular section of the embassy.

A consulate is a standalone facility like Savannakhet or Penang is.

As long as you still have your job (not terminated) and your work permit has not be canceled you can stay on your extension of stay (it is not a visa).

If they do not renew the work permit they should give you a letter stating your job will on the date your work permit expires. You can go to immigration a few days before that date to have your extension canceled. Then you must leave on that date or apply for a 7 day extension, pay 1900 baht and be given 7 days to leave.

Thank you for clarifying a key point; it's an unfortunate mistake of everyday language that we tend to say we are in a country on a visa. Any visa dies a natural death as its holder passes through an immigration barrier. We remain in a country on the permission of the authorised immigration officer. The distinction is not a fine one, in terms of the dim view taken of people who violate provisions of immigration law. Seven days to get out can be uncomfortably short.

Edited by aboctok