For Those Concerned with Privacy and Security

DaveBKK

Apple has stepped forward today to be the clear choice for those valuing privacy and security. After problems were revealed re: iCloud "social engineering" to get peoples passwords, they've really stepped up the game with 2-factor security and encryption.

Also, today with the release of iOS 8, Apple can no longer do any password bypass to unlock your data for any authority (NSA, police, otherwise). To quote from the privacy policy here:

"On devices running iOS 8, your personal data such as photos, messages (including attachments), email, contacts, call history, iTunes content, notes, and reminders is placed under the protection of your passcode. Unlike our competitors, Apple cannot bypass your passcode and therefore cannot access this data. So it's not technically feasible for us to respond to government warrants for the extraction of this data from devices in their possession running iOS 8."

Let's stress something here: "Unlike our competitors, Apple cannot bypass your passcode."

Also, here's the new fairly comprehensive security guide for iOS 8 - http://images.apple.com/privacy/docs/iOS_Security_Guide_Sept_2014.pdf

"So it's not technically feasible for us to respond to government warrants for the extraction of this data from devices in their possession running iOS 8."

This doesn't preclude Apple giving them access to what's on their servers/in the cloud. This only refers to devices that 3rd parties have in their possession, and want to access the data on the device.

If the NSA has the device in their possession, then they probably don't need apple's help to decrypt the data.

Well it all depends on your threat model. If say you're a world renowned AQ terrorist and the NSA is after you...yeah...probably not wise to bet your life on them not cracking it. HOWEVER....if you're an expat in the land of smiles and some local authorities are looking to jam you up and poke into your stuff.... you're safe.

Besides worrying about someone getting your personal data, there is also a problem of being identified and tracked.

Listen to the Science Friday, July 25, 2014 podcast, which discusses "canvas fingerprinting".

One suggested solution was using torrent, which is supposedly slow. I tried a suggested add-on for Firefox browser to block canvas fingerprinting; but some web sites would not allow me to access it. So, I had to turn off the add-on.

Besides worrying about someone getting your personal data, there is also a problem of being identified and tracked.

Listen to the Science Friday, July 25, 2014 podcast, which discusses "canvas fingerprinting".

One suggested solution was using torrent, which is supposedly slow. I tried a suggested add-on for Firefox browser to block canvas fingerprinting; but some web sites would not allow me to access it. So, I had to turn off the add-on.

https://panopticlick.eff.org/

https://www.whitehatsec.com/aviator/