Medical Insurance and Hospitals in CM

bottledwater

Hi, I know there is a similar thread going right now, but its not quite my question.

I'm thinking about changing insurance providers. I'm in my 40's, fit as far as I know and I am in Thailand 99.9% of the time (mostly in CM). I'm looking for insurance to cover a major medical issue, should one arise.

I'm looking at AA Insurance (forum sponsor) and BUPA Thailand so far. Anyone out there have other recommendations for insurance and its ease of use in a CM area hospital?

The other half of this question: What hospital would you recommend going to in the CM area? Accepting insurance is important, cost is important, and not dying in the hospital is important also.

Thanks in advance!

I understand, and could be totally wrong, that airlines will not allow a visibly, seriously ill, patient to fly with them due to their own insurance responsibility if you should die mid flight.

Well remember a very large young English girl sitting next to me calling for medical assistance well after take off and she had to sign a 3 page waiver before they gave her any medical attention which was basically oxygen and water.

I guess it depends on what shape you are in when you board.

Well , I do not know about what insurance Company to take , I hd none when I broke my foot in CM .

But you better avoid CM RAM Hospital ! Very expensive and not clean enough , I got some skin infections from my time in this hospital . Won't go there anymore ...

• Like 1

I would not revert to BUPA or another insurer in Thailand. Not that they are unreliable, they ARE, but the limits under their policies and the sub limits are rather low. If you do spend 99% of your time outside your home country, mostly in Thailand I would suggest you get an Expartiate Medical Assistance insurance from an international insurer like the CIGNA, ACE, Allianz, or others which is not cheap but you'll get optimal cover, not only in THAILAND. THERE ARE QUITE A FEW BROKERS IN BANGKOK WHO CAN ARRANGE THIS AND YOU CAN ALSO FIND ADDRESSES OF SUCH INSURERS ON THE INTERNET.

AS FAR AS HOSPITALS IN CHIANG MAI ARE CONCERNED, i WOULD HIGHLY RECOMMEND THE NEWLY OPENED BANGKOK hOSPITAL, WHICH IS OF A REALLY VERY HIGH STANDARD. IF YOU PREFER A GOOD HOSPITAL, SLIGHTLY CHEAPER, CHAING MAI RAM, IS NOT BAD.

My Thai wife had AIA for many years which paid whenever she went into the hospital, including 2 operations. Good coverage; no hassles. She recently changed to an insurance/investment plan with another company, but had been happy with AIA. Cost 20K +/-. Good luck

You have received a lot of advice. I would advise you to see an agent he can point out the advantages and disadvantages in the various plans.

As for insurance over 70 I was told it was possible at 70 but not at 71. Also the cost and qualifications would be high.

for my self I like the Rajavej. Have had good experience with them. They are not as fancy as the Ram and the new Bangkok hospital but a lot cheaper. Will never go to the Ram for a physical again or to have my eyes checked. Had to go to the Rajavej for that. Don't worry to much about the hospital check on the qualifications of the doctor who will be seeing you.

• Like 2

I would also consider a private health insurance in your home country.

- I opted out of the governmental health insurance scheme in my late 30s and changed to a private HI, better coverage and cheaper. Now in my late 50s I checked with them about coverage during my upcoming long stay in SEA and was informed, their coverage is worldwide. So, I have the best of 2 worlds: full coverage in my home country if things get worse and also abroad, including transport back home...

Edited by BernieOnTour

Thanks for the advice.

I had contacted Peter at AA and he got back to me right away both times which is nice. Still looking though, no rush.

I'm American and have no medical coverage back in the USA, sooooo, if you know anything about the state of health/ care/medical costs in the US you know I'm not worried about being "evacuated" back the the USA. Nothing there for the uninsured except bankrupsy (and I AM currently covered in every country on earth EXCEPT the USA . . . .)