Front crash/bull bars

fifa

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They can also make a minor collision with a motorcyclist or a pedestrian or even another vehicle into a major accident, regardless of who is right or wrong.

Also i have been told they can interfere with the safe operation of air-bags - i don't know if that is true or just myth.

• Like 1

Crashes involve the absorption of shock - if you bolt a metal bar to the chassis, the shock is transmitted directly there and straight to the occupants...and the recipients. So you end up doing more damage to both yourself and others. That's why in many countries they are illegal.

this is the RACQ's take on bull bars and air bags.....

"Inappropriately designed bull bars may interfere with the airbag system's ability to correctly deploy the bag. So it's vital that any bull bar fitted to an air bag equipped vehicle is compatible with the system. Only bull bars that are certified as not affecting air bag systems can legally be fitted to later vehicles."

the law in Oz - "but it particularly relates to ADR 69/00, the rule for Full frontal impact protection. In order to comply with this rule, bullbars manufactured for vehicles equipped with SRS (airbag systems) must be tested for compatibility with the airbag system"

Edited by wilcopops

They can also make a minor collision with a motorcyclist or a pedestrian or even another vehicle into a major accident, regardless of who is right or wrong.

Also i have been told they can interfere with the safe operation of air-bags - i don't know if that is true or just myth.

You have choice when buying, Air Bag compliant or non Air Bag compliant.

Here is theW.A advice on Bull Bars.. the whole article has some good points on which design to choose.

http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/mediaFiles/licensing/lbu_vs_ci_112.pdf

"a bull bar may interfere with the sophisticated safety systems designed into modern vehicles.

The main causes of concern are outlined as follows:

• Incompatibility with vehicle air bags
    A badly designed bull bar may interfere with the operation of an air bag, making it activate at the wrong time. In the worst case, this can cause significant additional injury to the occupant.

• Nullification of crumple zones
    Modern vehicles have crumple zones that protect the occupants by cushioning the impact of a front-end collision. A badly designed bull bar may make the front end of the vehicle significantly more rigid, thereby nullifying the effect of the crumple zones. This causes a more severe impact for the occupants of all vehicles involved.

• Incompatibility with other vehicles
    At an international level, significant research is being undertaken towards improving the “crash compatibility” between vehicles involved in vehicle-to-vehicle collisions. The aim of this research is to design vehicles in such a manner that maximises each vehicle’s ability to absorb crash energy. A badly designed bull bar can negate these design features, thus increasing the risk of more significant injuries to the occupants of other

C112B (Last updated June 2010) page 1 of 9

vehicles involved in the collision, than would have been the case, had the colliding vehicle not been fitted with a bull bar.

If you are wondering how - here is an explanation I found on the net.....

"The airbags are triggered by sensors placed in the engine bay of vehicles. Depending on the manufacturer, the sensors may be in the crumple zones or beyond them. Since bull bars can interfere with the way crash damage is absorbed by the vehicle, they may delay or altogether avoid the deployment of airbags"

Never mind air bags, what about the little Thai kid you knock over at as little as 5mph, with bull bars you probably kill him, without you probably don't.

At 5mph why would the kid now die with a bullbar versus without ?

If anything the larger frontal area of the bullbar the kid would bounce instead of going under the car vehicle.

Never mind air bags, what about the little Thai kid you knock over at as little as 5mph, with bull bars you probably kill him, without you probably don't.

If anything the larger frontal area of the bullbar the kid would bounce instead of going under the car vehicle.

Google the stats, it's common knowledge.

You had better tell google then cause I can't find anything that says the risk of dieing due to a bullbar impact at 5mph is greater than a vehicle without.

You had better tell google then cause I can't find anything that says the risk of dieing due to a bullbar impact at 5mph is greater than a vehicle without.

'Killer' car fad that costs lives: They're lethal, but ' bull bars ...

lol your evidence is some online UK news publication cheesy.gif

But it does clarify my point though that an impact at 5mph will make little difference

The advice was prompted by research at the TRL and in Germany. The German research proved that bull bars are deadly in crashes at low speeds. Whereas 95 per cent of children would be expected to survive the impact of a normal car at 20mph, a vehicle fitted with bull bars would inflict life-threatening injuries on all children it hit at 12mph and many would die even at 10mph.

maybe you should have claimed 10mph instead of 5mph !!

Edited by Spoonman

But it does clarify my point though that an impact at 5mph will make little difference

The advice was prompted by research at the TRL and in Germany. The German research proved that bull bars are deadly in crashes at low speeds. Whereas 95 per cent of children would be expected to survive the impact of a normal car at 20mph, a vehicle fitted with bull bars would inflict life-threatening injuries on all children it hit at 12mph and many would die even at 10mph.

What's 5mph between friends? Still unnecessary dangerous things.

• Like 2

p.s. your silly little laughing emoticon does you no credit, the article is from the independent, a respected British newspaper and just the first one on my search, there's plenty more.

What's 5mph between friends? Still unnecessary dangerous things.

The difference between life and death it seems.

p.s. your silly little laughing emoticon does you no credit, the article is from the independent, a respected British newspaper and just the first one on my search, there's plenty more.

your the one that linked it, not me.

Maybe next time find the published research documents and link them instead of some news tabloid.

All the bullbars I have seen are bolted to the chassis under the radiator cross member. It's totally absurd. There should be a rail on each side running back to the chassis under the cab with the rail bolted in at least 2 places. Well it makes sense to me. And the bullbar can be made a lot stronger.

your the one that linked it, not me.

Maybe next time find the published research documents and link them instead of some news tabloid.

OMG! you said you googled it and found nothing, so I googled it and linked the first result I got which is from probably one of the only two respected newspapers in England and most definitely not a tabloid.

"But it does clarify my point though that an impact at 5mph will make little difference"

And as for that dumb remark, have someone drive into you at 5mph with a foam filled plastic bumper, then have someone drive into you with a steel bull bar and see what "little difference" it makes!

All the bullbars I have seen are bolted to the chassis under the radiator cross member. It's totally absurd. There should be a rail on each side running back to the chassis under the cab with the rail bolted in at least 2 places. Well it makes sense to me. And the bullbar can be made a lot stronger.

Heck yeah yeehaa! y'all wouldn't want to run the risk of not completely pulverising that kid on his wave!