Road trip Phuket to Bangkok by car advise needed.

glassdude007

Planning a road trip by car Phuket to Bangkok. Over the upcoming school Holidays. I have made this trip before so I know my way coming and going. This time though Will have a couple of teenagers traveling with us so we are just going to take our time (if that’s possible on Thai roads) stay overnight someplace on the way up maybe 2 or 3 nights no plan really. so was wondering if anybody out there can recommend some good lodging places for us weary travelers to stop for the night?

They want to stop at the water park out side of Hue Hin/Pranburi, planning to do this on our way back to Phuket,

other than that no plan. Any and all advise on places to stop things to do (any advise on family friendly hotels in Bangkok ?) will be much appreciated….

Thanks.

You know the journey so you will know that there is little for teenagers (bar beaches) between Phuket and Hua Hin. Surat Thani might represent a good staging post for one direction....merely because it has lodging options and a lively night market. We stayed at the 100 Islands Resort on the outskirts of town. It has aged a fair amount but it does have a "landscaped" pool that many of the "family" rooms step directly out onto. Not promising anything stunning but there are few options and this one is reasonably priced and has the pool for the kids. Being that the pool is directly outside a lot of the rooms you would be able to relax whilst your kids play. If you were to push a little further there are some resorts on the outskirts of Chumpon that might be a little more "competitive".

This jaunt across to Surat Thani or Chumpon does make your first day a little long but makes days 2 and 3 relatively simple 2-3 hour journeys that can be broken up by lunch.

Bangkok child friendly hotel. All depends on your plans in Bangkok. What do you have to do here?

i drive from phulet to Hua in an stay the night than on to bangkok the next day

thtas an easy 9-10 hour drive

Surat Thani is less than 4 hours

drive to Chumpon is only like 6 hours (if u go via Surat Thani,) maybe 6 1.2 via Ranong ( 4 hours) was just up there this weekend

NOTHING worse than arriving in Bangkok after 4 pm........

I stay at the Puangpen Villa hotel right downtown so easy walking to restaurants and such, across from Macdonalds, ( an a good rib place on the second floor)

wifi, air con an pool all for under 900 baht

email ppvillahotel@hotmail.

Edited by phuketrichard

HI, my wife and 2 young kids just did this run last week. We went up and stopped in Chumphon and Hua Hin on the way. The roads from Surat up to Chumphon are shocking, really bad. On the way back we went cross country from Chumphon to Ranong and down the west coast. Much better and the road to Ranong has been widened as well so not the small windy road it used to be. So, Phuket -Ranong -Chumphon - Hua Hin - Bangkok ... all good, enjoy!

Totally agree with wookienookie about the state of the roads....appalling. Not just the road conditions but the attitudes of the road users (I have been living in Thailand for 6.5 years and ride a motorbike in BKK) are the worst I have seen in Thailand. However it is worth noting that if any of your travelling companions get car sick then the journey via Ranong will do it! If they don't then it is quieter but it is also a more tiring drive as the roads are windy for 100s of km.

--EDIT--

Ought to mention that the Ranong route is very beautiful as a compensation!

Edited by draftvader

Try Chumpon,....??? and follow the coast line up to Pranburee....And then Hua Hin. My Wife and I did it many times both ways always had great times.....you can stop at so many places and have a swim.....you better use a good map or GPS to find the road at some places......enjoy.!!!

PS: It's a interesting change from the high way...

Edited by off road pat
  • Like 1

You know the journey so you will know that there is little for teenagers (bar beaches) between Phuket and Hua Hin. Surat Thani might represent a good staging post for one direction....merely because it has lodging options and a lively night market. We stayed at the 100 Islands Resort on the outskirts of town. It has aged a fair amount but it does have a "landscaped" pool that many of the "family" rooms step directly out onto. Not promising anything stunning but there are few options and this one is reasonably priced and has the pool for the kids. Being that the pool is directly outside a lot of the rooms you would be able to relax whilst your kids play. If you were to push a little further there are some resorts on the outskirts of Chumpon that might be a little more "competitive".

This jaunt across to Surat Thani or Chumpon does make your first day a little long but makes days 2 and 3 relatively simple 2-3 hour journeys that can be broken up by lunch.

Bangkok child friendly hotel. All depends on your plans in Bangkok. What do you have to do here?

Have to be at USA Embassey 9am on Oct 29th,,,

The rest is just Pai Tio time....

Bangkok with teenagers...not my speciality I'm afraid. I have a 3 year old and it can be a bit tedious. Royal Thai Air Force Museum at Don Muang might excite for a half day. Some water parks scattered about too along with too many malls. Accommodation depends on your itinerary and budget. Staying in a location close to most your intended sites of interest will save on transport hell! You'll want parking too which will limit it down a bit too.