Vigo Vs Triton

moonoi

I've decided to sell my Mazda 3 (PM me if anyones interested, 8 months old 2 ltr 4 door model in blue) and purchase a truck.

Reasons? Better fuel economy and decent ground clearance....some of the roads near my home on the way to work have pot holes almost the size of a car and I'm tired of driving a slalom course between crazy thai drivers and the potholes!!!!

Now I'm not interested in resale value......whichever I buy I intend to keep at least 5 years. At the moment I'm leaning towards a Triton....the spec is higher and the drive feels more car like to me than the Vigo...then it is more expensive. Tough choices to be made.

I've read through this forum but haven't really found a decent comparison of the 2 models. Mostly people saying to get the Vigo because the resale value in the future will be higher. I'm more interested in what owners of both have to say about them...ongoing running costs etc etc

Thanks Peeps :o

Edited by moonoi

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've decided to sell my Mazda 3 (PM me if anyones interested, 8 months old 2 ltr 4 door model in blue) and purchase a truck.

Reasons? Better fuel economy and decent ground clearance....some of the roads near my home on the way to work have pot holes almost the size of a car and I'm tired of driving a slalom course between crazy thai drivers and the potholes!!!!

Now I'm not interested in resale value......whichever I buy I intend to keep at least 5 years. At the moment I'm leaning towards a Triton....the spec is higher and the drive feels more car like to me than the Vigo...then it is more expensive. Tough choices to be made.

I've read through this forum but haven't really found a decent comparison of the 2 models. Mostly people saying to get the Vigo because the resale value in the future will be higher. I'm more interested in what owners of both have to say about them...ongoing running costs etc etc

Thanks Peeps :D

I had the same choice to make ...i ended up with the Triton. I found the ride is more comfortable and spacious as well . The Fuel usage is slightly higher since i got the Automatic Modell (12,5 km / liter) . My in-Laws have the Vigo and bought it the same time as i did the Trition ...i'd say the Trition vs Vigo are about equal.

good luck by choosing,

rcm :o

The shape of the Trition is not everybody's piece of cake ...i liked it others hate it.

There does look to be more space for the rear passengers in the triton.

is there a 2 wheel drive version of the triton , like the prerunner.

If there was then it would be no contest :o but the standard 2wd Triton look crap. I like the 4wd version a lot though. Really tought decision to make. The Toyota dealer is also in the same buidling as my office and has a full service centre too, so would be easier for servicing etc. Mitsu dealer is near my home and not so convienent (theres one near the office, but I don't trust them after they screwed up my mates lancer during a service).

For me the Triton looks different that's what stands out, the inside looks good and 4 doors good access to back seat, as for 5 years you should only have to service it, my Strada is over 5 years it's diesel no problems. fuel consumption around 9km per ltr, others get more on paper but in reality all around 9 to 12 km per ltr. Go for it

I've had my Toyota Vigo Preruner since February, and I really do love the thing. I've taken it through horrible potholed roads, and the high clearance really makes a difference. (Although my pregnant wife was giving me very evil looks as we bounced along)

Either car will give you good service if you only plan to keep it five years. Having the service center where you work might be the clincher for me, but its up to you. Can't speak for where you live, but for me, 4wd is wasted on me. I think the Prerunner is great.

Peace.

Thanks Peeps :o

I would say there's not a lot to choose...if you're going for top of the range, the Trton has a larger, higher taxed and allegedly more powerful engine.

I would check the minutia.....if it's 4wd does either have a locking diff, or limited slip on the front? What other gadgets do you get with the 4WD.....freewheeling hubs...are manual/electric? Mitsubishi have been building ans racing 4WD systems for decades, does the Triton live up to their reputation?

How much are replaceables...tyres, batteries, oil changes and services? Maybe some of these mighttip the balance.....

a good 4WD system would make it for me...

I've had my Toyota Vigo Preruner since February, and I really do love the thing. I've taken it through horrible potholed roads, and the high clearance really makes a difference. (Although my pregnant wife was giving me very evil looks as we bounced along)

Either car will give you good service if you only plan to keep it five years. Having the service center where you work might be the clincher for me, but its up to you. Can't speak for where you live, but for me, 4wd is wasted on me. I think the Prerunner is great.

Peace.

I had a look at the PreRunner, but its only available in manual. Worried that having now got used to driving my auto Mazda around the city I'll get annoyed with the manual box.....not sure though really can't make up my mind. The interior of the Triton I think is far better than the Vigo.......problem is if I do a pro/con list of each model they both weigh up the same! I like the Triton for its differant looks and higher spec as standard (although not so sure how useful an electric rear window really is!), and the Vigo because the service centre couldn't be more convient, theres also a lot of them around compared to Triton so I guess that would make parts of the shelf cheaper? Argh its a nightmare!

I wanted a new 4 door 2wd pickup. the 2.5l is powerful enough and with a manual box you get more Km/Litre, an important consideration.

The Toyota Vigo back seat lifts up to create a luggage well behind the front seat and I think the Toyota may have a better resale value,but it costs 50000bht more after discount.

I liked the Triton because it has a new engine, better cab and LSPV braking. Not ABS but ?Load-Sensing Proportioning Valve. It also has a neat turning circle of 5.7metres.

The June issue of Pickup Performance Magazine (60bht) claims the Triton does 18.15Km./L @ 100Km/Hr. It compares the Vigo, Nissan Ford Ranger,Chevrolet,Triton and Mazda.

I have settled for the Triton.

When I buy I will take the discount and let the Garage register the vehicle. Unless they will really give some of the list below FREE.

For the other possible extras I will check local dealers.

Insurance

55% window film

Liner

CD upgrade

Soft cover

Weather visor

Rear light protector

Rear & Front bumper

Spare Wheel Lock

Body undercoating

Plate cover

Fog Light

mats

scuff plates

Fly screen

Mudflaps.

I bought a 3.0 4dr 4wd Vigo last year having already owned 6 previous Toyotas pickups here. Anyway .. a friend of mine recently bought a top of the range 3.2 4dr 4wd Triton.

Observations so far ...

Triton looks slightly better equipped internally with a neat rear lifting window ... but some switches etc seemed to be of a much cheaper quality than Toyota. The Triton does have a 'computer' gizmo inside telling you how far above sea level you are etc etc but the deviation in some of the readings are quite funny sometimes. The Vigo doesn't.

Speed: From a standing start there's very little difference with both vehicles being slightly better than the other as the speed increases (gearing?), but the Vigo seemed have the edge when flat out.

Economy: Don't really know to be honest :o

Comfort: The Vigo has better designed seats.

Handling: Being biest here I think, but I'll go with Toyota from the very limited time that I have driven the Triton.

Looks: Each to their own. I love the Vigo look but having said that the 4wd Triton does look quite nice from some angles too. Personally speaking, I think, having been in/driven both, the Vigo takes it, but not by much and it's the shape that will be a big factor.

Several journalists and even our own Terdsak have said that Triton's engine is not as refined as Vigo's.

Well having test driven both I have to say I personally think the engines are pretty much the same in terms of refinement. Having also read the UK press seems that the L200 (Triton) is rated better than the Hilux (Vigo) although they both use 2.5 ltr diesels engines that strangely put out the same max power as the Thai models from both manufacturers even though they have 3.2 and 3.0 ltr capacities........

Edited by moonoi

I dont think its about wether the Vigo or the Triton is the best car. Its a very close race as with many other models in the car market today. When the situation is like this with some models it will be more up to your needs and what looks you prefer.

If you got your tall farang friends with you at all the time you would might choose the Triton etc.

To say that the Triton is butt ugly I think most people disagree with. What mitsubishi did was to launch a totally new design, something new to the pickup scene which I think was really needed. The pickup scene has been really boring with manufacturers thinking they can only put some new headlights on a pretty much same body as before and then you ve got a nice looking car.

Example, look at Mazda and Ford which both use the same old body but with different fronts. They both got nice new headlights and some more but from that the looks suck.

The Triton is something new and from my opinion the only thing I could want to see a change on is the headlights. They could have worked out some better looking headlights but thats all. The rest looks really nicel from a design point of view.

Non of the models looks good when as cheap versions and I would give pole position to the Vigo here.

As byuing a wide body (4x4 or after mounting of these fenders) and some nice wheels I think the Triton takes it and not only with one position. I looks great, like a modern pickup beast.

Here is some Tritons I have taken photos of.

The orange from the Bangkok Motorshow and the black one with 22" wheels in the Mitsubishi dealer in Phuket city just waiting to be picked up by the owner.

2 Nice looking Tritons

Mitsubishi also did one very smart thing with the 2.5 model. They gave it automatic gearbox as option for only 40.000 B extra. They will for sure reach sales because of this. A 4 door pickup with auto for 648.000 without a discount. I find that cheap.

Edited by F1 Visa Runner

I agree that it's different strokes for different folks. That's what makes different people choose different products. I personally think the Triton is the ugliest vehicle ever built. I LIKE the looks of the Ford because it looks like a truck. I don't like the Isuzu or Toyota because the front end reminds me of a Volkswagen bug. :o

Crawl under the front end of both the 4wd versions and see how the vigos front suspension compares with the tritons. No contest, the vigo is miles ahead. While you are there have a good look at everything else, it will tell you a lot about what car you are buying and it freaks the dealers out when they are trying to sell a car to two feet sticking out from underneath a car!

Does the Triton have rack and pinion steering? I think not.

Thanks, Bung, it is highly probable that there are some other areas where there's substantial difference.

The reason is obvious - Vigo is part of IMV, the platform used all over the world, so they get mass production that means better prices and better quality while Triton has to cut corners to keep the price down. They might get individual parts on par with Toyota eventually, but what about design shortcuts?

Bung,

Get under a Triton and take your goggles off and you will see Rack an pinion steering, or better still read the brochure.

Indeed it does. And although Triton isn't based on a shared platform like Vigo it is still exported internationally. In europe its still known as the L200 and won numerous awards.

Anyway to complicate things further my gfs' dad has negotiated with an Isuzu dealer so I could actually now get a MU7 auto (but 2wd not 4wd) with full options (tv, leather. film etc etc) for about 70000 more than the top spec Triton.......quite tempting considering its a proper SUV, but I notice there not that popular and seem agricultural compared to the Fortuner.....the choice just gets more difficult :o

Hi .... I own a brandnew Vigo 4x4 4 door....and I never wasted any thought to look for the Mitsubishi. I drove both, just love the Vigo. Besides this, I think the quality of Toyota as marketleader was a criteria.

Buying a Vigo, in my opinion, is a good choice. For whom it may interest...I got mine yesterday and the delivery from the date of ordering was 10 days.

Cheers

Bung,

Get under a Triton and take your goggles off and you will see Rack an pinion steering, or better still read the brochure.

John 1,

I wasn't sure, that is why I asked the question.

I only gave the Triton a cursory inspection, that was enough to convince me the Vigo was better.

Bung,

Indeed it does. And although Triton isn't based on a shared platform like Vigo it is still exported internationally. In europe its still known as the L200 and won numerous awards.

Anyway to complicate things further my gfs' dad has negotiated with an Isuzu dealer so I could actually now get a MU7 auto (but 2wd not 4wd) with full options (tv, leather. film etc etc) for about 70000 more than the top spec Triton.......quite tempting considering its a proper SUV, but I notice there not that popular and seem agricultural compared to the Fortuner.....the choice just gets more difficult :o

Test drive the MU7 and I bet there is a very good reason they are cheap as hel_l. I don't like the looks of it, either - Isu makes nice pick-ups but the MU7 is a pick-up with a hard top welded to the back.

I drove in a Ford-equivalent, the Everest recently and it was a total joke. Very cheap car, looks like an SUV from the outside, but the rear seats are about 20cm above the floor which makes them useless except for small children and the car bounces and shakes like a tractor. It seemed to bounce around even on a perfectly level road...

I have been offered 50kbht off the new price of a Triton 2.5 GLX 4door 2 wd priced at 608kbht.

What is the most anyone has been offered off a Vigo 2.5 4 door 2 wd "E" List price 636Kbht?

And where was this offered? I was offered 35kbht but would have liked more.

Forget the accessories for the moment as they can be added to taste later.

Edited by Korat Correct

Test drive the MU7 and I bet there is a very good reason they are cheap as hel_l. I don't like the looks of it, either - Isu makes nice pick-ups but the MU7 is a pick-up with a hard top welded to the back.

I drove in a Ford-equivalent, the Everest recently and it was a total joke. Very cheap car, looks like an SUV from the outside, but the rear seats are about 20cm above the floor which makes them useless except for small children and the car bounces and shakes like a tractor. It seemed to bounce around even on a perfectly level road...

I don know about the Ford but what nikster say is actually the case with the MU7. I have had 3 rides in 3 different MU7 taxis and they are all the same. The bounce up and down and even more annoying they shake a lot after just driving over a small bump.

On the highway you get it all. The bouncing and the shaking. You should not be too sure if taking this car out for a long drive going fast on the highway wether your thai girlfriend will puke the whole car down or not.

I also remember driving the Isuzu 4 door pickup 600 km in one day (Phuket-Ranong) where this was also the case. It bounced a lot with only 8000 km on the clock. My girlfriend did not feel very well and neither did I.

As this visa run just pick up kilometres on our car we always rent different cars when doing this trip. We have done this trip in many different cars but have never felt like we did with the Isuzu.

I guess Isuzu got a problem here which need to be solved out.

About Mitsubishi and quality I dont think they are missing out. In countries in Europe Mitsubishi is actually the only car brand that gives a 5 year warranty or 100.000 km guarantee, what ever comes first. I dont think quality is a big issue on todays Japanese cars. The way most farang also use their cars in Thailand and its hard to belive that any real problems should occur.

Before buying the Isuzu anyone should take it out for a serious drive to see if they find it comfortable. That would be my advice.

The Fortuner is a good comfortable SUV. Its quite comfy even with 22" wheels which is my experiance. It of course hits harder on the bumps and wholes but considering the big 22" wheels and its still quite a comfy drive.

Edited by F1 Visa Runner

Isuzu should have a new model next week. I hope it's really new, not just minor alterations to D-max.

Actually its due out tomorrow :o but its just a facelift model....new front end and more modernised interior. Not sure if they've done any modification to the suspension etc though. There will be a new facelift DMax too.....you can get an idea of how it looks here: http://www.bbznet.com/scripts2/view.php?us...;order=numtopic

EDIT: Forgot to add, the completely new MU7 is not due out until next year

Edited by moonoi

Just now also facing the exactly same dilemma: Triton or Vigo?

My conclusion is that it will be Vigo for me.

Triton is on my opinion ###### gorgeous looking car, and it is a shame that other facts speak for the boring Vigo. But Vigo it is because I want, 4 doors, manual gears and the biggest engine available but 2 wheel drive. And Mitsu cannot offer me that choice; they have the 4x2 only with the moped-engine: 2,5 liter.

I don’t want the 4x4 because:

-it consumes more

-it costs more

-it has more potentially breaking and expensive parts (although the warranty seems good so this shouldn’t be an issue.)

-it for sure loses some performance (weighs a bit more and transmission loses a bit of power)

It is pity that Mitsu is not able to offer me a model which is 4x2 and 3200 cc.