Vigo Vs Triton

moonoi

I love my Vigo 4x4 3.0D. I own it for almost 3 months now, cruising around the potholes in Maprachan and that car drives fantastic. Now rattling, nothing fell off and even at higher speed compratively safe and secure. I have never driven the Mitsubishi, but after all I was not interested in it, because I don't like the look. But tastes are different....

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've decided to sell my Mazda 3 (PM me if anyones interested, 8 months old 2 ltr 4 door model in blue) and purchase a truck.

Reasons? Better fuel economy and decent ground clearance....some of the roads near my home on the way to work have pot holes almost the size of a car and I'm tired of driving a slalom course between crazy thai drivers and the potholes!!!!

Now I'm not interested in resale value......whichever I buy I intend to keep at least 5 years. At the moment I'm leaning towards a Triton....the spec is higher and the drive feels more car like to me than the Vigo...then it is more expensive. Tough choices to be made.

I've read through this forum but haven't really found a decent comparison of the 2 models. Mostly people saying to get the Vigo because the resale value in the future will be higher. I'm more interested in what owners of both have to say about them...ongoing running costs etc etc

Thanks Peeps :D

Like the original poster I want to buy a pickup (truck) and I am not sure, which one to buy. At first I looked at the Mazda BT-50 / Ford Ranger, but in the end I found that the space at the back seat was too small, Was interest was mainly because of the new engine and the 5 - speed automatic transmission coming soon.

I have had a look at the Isuzu D-Max, but I think the ride is too noisy, from the engine and last but not least wind noise from the doors.

So, Then there is the Hilux Vigo, which I liked from the beginning. I am sure it is solid as a rock, drives well and probably have a good resale value. But I feel in a way, that it seems a little outdated, like when you engage the 4WD you have to go to a stand still, while some other brands can do it "on-the-fly"

The Triton I did not like at first, mostly I have seen 2WD models, and this low ride model does not appeal to me.

But after having a look at the new Triton plus I found, that I am beginning to like the look of it.

It seems to me, that the technical solutions are more up-to-date, and the design surely is, and something to get used to.

But still I feeel it is difficult to choose one.

Today I had a look at the top model Triton 3.2 double cab GLS-Limited (A/T)

When I compared to the Triton Plus next to it I could see an extra cooler in the front left side of the car and above it an electric fan, the two components were not to be seen on the Plus.

Can anyone tell me about this ??

( The salesman (naturally) did not have any idea, he sells cars!) :o

Can you have an english user manual with either car ?

North :D

Hi North I also had a look at the New Triton ‘Plus “and saw an extra cooler, I asked about it and was it’s a cooler for the , Intercooler system, have a look at my original post … http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=98104

I also took a photo of the cooler ….

I think the Triton ‘Plus ‘has a few more options as standard than the first model,

And now with the extra height it looks a lot better and the restyling of the curved area that backs up to the cab

also makes a difference...

TL

post-37178-1167570197_thumb.jpg

So, Then there is the Hilux Vigo, which I liked from the beginning. I am sure it is solid as a rock, drives well and probably have a good resale value. But I feel in a way, that it seems a little outdated, like when you engage the 4WD you have to go to a stand still, while some other brands can do it "on-the-fly"

'On the fly' changing can be done with Toyotas. Well at least I can do on my Vigo, and did it on my old D4D and Tiger, up to a max of 80kph I think but I always seem to do it when I most need it, and that is generally a lot slower.

The Triton I did not like at first, mostly I have seen 2WD models, and this low ride model does not appeal to me.

But after having a look at the new Triton plus I found, that I am beginning to like the look of it.

It seems to me, that the technical solutions are more up-to-date, and the design surely is, and something to get used to.

Can you have an English user manual with either car ?

Not sure about the Mitsu, but an English manual for the Vigo easily available from Toyota - just ask the dealer. It costs around B350 if I remember correctly. My mate has the top spec Triton and given the choice, I'll stay with the Vigo thanks.

'On the fly' changing can be done with Toyotas. Well at least I can do on my Vigo, and did it on my old D4D and Tiger, up to a max of 80kph I think but I always seem to do it when I most need it, and that is generally a lot slower.

Can you have an English user manual with either car ?

Not sure about the Mitsu, but an English manual for the Vigo easily available from Toyota - just ask the dealer. It costs around B350 if I remember correctly. My mate has the top spec Triton and given the choice, I'll stay with the Vigo thanks.

Hi VTR1000,

Maybe I was a bit fast on the trigger about the possibility to shift to 4WD on the Toyota while driving, but this was my understanding from what the salesman told me, but I also know now, that salespeople, at least here in Khon Kaen are mostly thinking about one thing, to finish the deal !

They don´t know very much about technical details.

Hi North I also had a look at the New Triton ‘Plus “and saw an extra cooler, I asked about it and was it’s a cooler for the , Intercooler system, have a look at my original post … http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=98104

I also took a photo of the cooler ….

I think the Triton ‘Plus ‘has a few more options as standard than the first model,

And now with the extra height it looks a lot better and the restyling of the curved area that backs up to the cab

also makes a difference...

TL

Hi TL,

About my question:

Today I had a look at the top model Triton 3.2 double cab GLS-Limited (A/T)

When I compared to the Triton Plus next to it I could see an extra cooler in the front left side of the car and above it an electric fan, the two components were not to be seen on the Plus.

Can anyone tell me about this ??

I am sure, that the cooler I have seen is not for the intercooler system, that cooler is placed in the right side of the car in front of the water cooler, which also can be seen on your photo. The extra cooler I ask about is mounted only on the top model 3.2 GLS-Limited, in the left side of the car, and above it is an electric fan. I wonder if it is a cooler for the transmission oil, but this is just a guess.

North :o

HI North…

Ive just asked a friend who is knowledgeable on Engines, and his answer was …….

1. Engine radiator

2. Aircon condenser

3. Intercooler

4. Gearbox Oil cooler ( Automatic’s only )

So may be it is for the transmission oil…?

TL

Three months on and I have not changed my mind, I am very happy with my Triton, I was given an english version of the handbook on cd free of charge, if I was buying a new pickup up now I would probably opt for the new Triton Plus but as I said in my last post cars are like houses (and wives) one mans meat is another mans poison!!

(no thai g/f pun intended!)

I just came to think about one difference between the two cars, when you select the A/T models.

In the Vigo you can select the following drive modes:

D , 3 , 2 , and 1

In the Triton you can select the following drive modes:

D , 2 , and 1.

I think about, that if I buy a Triton, I would miss this option, - to select the " 3 " mode when driving downhill and wanting to have some brake effect from the engine.

Any comments, especially from those who own a pickup with A/T ??

I just came to think about one difference between the two cars, when you select the A/T models.

D , 3 , 2 , and 1

D , 2 , and 1.

I think about, that if I buy a Triton, I would miss this option, - to select the " 3 " mode when driving downhill and wanting to have some brake effect from the engine.

Hi there,

I have the 2,5 triton AT .....honestly with all the driving(30000km last year) i never used 2 or 1 ...only D , R and P thats it....but next time i try the 2 and 1 to see how it feels like :o

Furthermore...while i like the looks of the Triton (some do some don't) but it really is a pleasure to drive it ....short or long range.even in Town it is easy to oversee everything including on small soi's....

i 'd say it is a good buy....but the Vigo isn't bad either so it is up to the personal taste and comfort again...for me this dominated on the Trition...

rcm

Isn't Triton Plus available only with 2.5l engine and 2wd?

That means you miss on the acceleration of 3.2l. Trade offs, trade offs.

I agree with you, trade offs all the time, when you buy a new car.

In this case: yes, the Plus is only available with 2.5 l engine and 2WD, but the torque is quite good, 321 N-m at 2000 rpm, and I guess you will have a better fuel economy in the 2.5 l.

North :o

D , 3 , 2 , and 1

D , 2 , and 1.

Not a pick up but...

My Fortuner has 1,2,3,D, my old Suzuki Vitara had 1,2,D and Overdrive.

Basically what it came down to was that "Overdrive Off" == 3. e.g. 3rd gear is overdrive off.

Maybe Triton has an Overrdrive/Overdrive off option?

I do use the 3 quite a bit but I also drive mountains quite a bit :o Doesn't make a huge difference but I like to drive the mountains like I would with a manual. That said the new autos are so good that there isn't a whole lot of difference, it's in the "right" gear most of the time just by itself. The only thing it can't do is anticipate what's coming - I know that there's a steep bit or a curve or both coming and can shift accordingly and of course the auto can't do that. Important for that last bit of speed! :D

I got my Vigo 4 door 4x4 Aug of 2005 and I love it! I also liked the look of the Chevy Colorado 4x4/Isuzu D-Max but was disappointed with the design of the interior. Little things like poor storage and cup holders under the dash that would be awkward to use. That was the deciding factor for me I'm also very impressed with Toyota’s service when I take it for oil changes. They have an excellent inspection including rotating the tires. I like the big glass windows to see in the service bays so you can actually watch it being done. Also they keep their service area very clean.

I think the Triton looks great also but I have not had any experience with Mitsubishi’s service department.

I have since bought my wife the new Yaris and it has also been great my hats off to Toyota.

I have been looking for full specifications and descriptions of the diesel engines used here in Thailand in Toyota Vigo and Mitsubishi Triton.

One information I was interested in: Does the Toyota D4D use a belt instead of a chain to drive the camshafts ?

What about the DI-D engine from Mitsubishi ?

Any information and links appreciated.

North

• 4 weeks later...

Vigo Vs Triton, which one is best, I think the answer is blowing in the wind. To me they seem like two good pickup´s.

In the end I selected the Vigo 4 door 4 WD A/T Exclusive. The main reasons for me to choose Toyota over Mitsubishi was the ( expected) good service from Toyota and later the better resale value.

Until now I am quite satisfied with the pickup, except that the driver´s seat is not too comfortable for my back on long rides, a detail that I did not find out on the short test drive, I had before buying.

About the service: so far it has been good, the repair shop at the Toyota looks good, at the 1000 km. service I waited in a room, from where I could watch the service of my car. They served me water and coffee, and in less than one hour I was on the road again.

I think, that if Mitsubishi would copy this service concept from Toyota, they could sell a lot more cars.

At least here in Khon Kaen the Mitsubishi repair shop looks rather shabby compared to Toyota.

North

I forget one thing about the Vigo,

When I start the car in the morning, the engine will have a hard noise when accelerating in the first minutes. It is not that I am speeding, when the engine is cold, but to get the car moving you need som RPM´s, and around 1400-1500 RPM it makes the sound. I think it is normal when cold, but I would like to hear the opinion from other owners of the Vigo (or the Fortuner) with the 3 liter D4D. When the engine is warm, there is no hard noise.

North

I forgot about starting this topic :o

Well in the end I bought a Isuzu MU7, just before the facelift model came out. Got a huge discount with full options (2 LCD screens, DVD player etc) and I found it more roomy and comfortable to drive than the Vigo and Fortuner. 6 months on I don't regret my choice.

That said if Isuzu hadn't offered me the deal they did I would have gone for the Triton as to me its the best looking and best value for money pickup available at the moment.

Also be aware, if buying a 4wd model that Mitsu have had a switching problem for years now. (google it)

I've got a 2004 g.wagon. It's an intermittant problem with the 4wd engaging. Mitsu couldn't find the problem in my car :D and suggested I replace the whole system. at my expense, of course. :o (not covered by the warranty :D ) Last Mitsu for me.

Regards

I forget one thing about the Vigo,

When I start the car in the morning, the engine will have a hard noise when accelerating in the first minutes. It is not that I am speeding, when the engine is cold, but to get the car moving you need som RPM´s, and around 1400-1500 RPM it makes the sound. I think it is normal when cold, but I would like to hear the opinion from other owners of the Vigo (or the Fortuner) with the 3 liter D4D. When the engine is warm, there is no hard noise.

North

Same here

Anybody can explain this??

J

My Fortuner is the same, in the owners handbook somewhere it tells you it is normal for a cold start.

So no problems for us Fortuner/Vigo guys. :o

I think every diesel does that when cold, some even do it when warm !

Great engines diesels are, you gotta love them. The only problem a diesel ever gets is when the outside temperature drops to below -20C, the the fuel becomes so thick it can't get pumped out of the filling station anymore.

Never had that problem in Thailand, though

Triton driver

My Fortuner is the same, in the owners handbook somewhere it tells you it is normal for a cold start.

So no problems for us Fortuner/Vigo guys. :D

I think every diesel does that when cold, some even do it when warm !

Great engines diesels are, you gotta love them. The only problem a diesel ever gets is when the outside temperature drops to below -20C, the the fuel becomes so thick it can't get pumped out of the filling station anymore.

Never had that problem in Thailand, though

Triton driver

In that case you can have a special kind of diesel fuel, that will not get too thick. I have been driving diesel cars in - 40 degrees celcius, you only need to install a electric heater in the cooling system, or it will be almost impossible to start them when cold.

Compared to that situation I think I never have a cold start here in Thailand. :o

North

• 1 month later...
There does look to be more space for the rear passengers in the triton.

is there a 2 wheel drive version of the triton , like the prerunner.

Yes, there is more space for the rear passengers and there is now the Triton Plus available, which is similar to Prerunner and Isuzu HiLander.

I have already my second Triton. First the normal 2wheel (got hit by an Bus and was not to repair) and now the Top 4 Wheel Model (automatic). FUel usage is about 10-11 Litres/100 km if you not use 4wheel and drive not to fast.

To show you how save the Triton for its passengers is I attached 2 Pictures of my first one, Nobody died and I had only one broken rip!

:o

• 7 months later...
I have already my second Triton. First the normal 2wheel (got hit by an Bus and was not to repair) and now the Top 4 Wheel Model (automatic). FUel usage is about 10-11 Litres/100 km if you not use 4wheel and drive not to fast.

That's actually pretty atrocious for a modern diesel engine isn't it? If I give it some effort I can go over 1000 kilometers on a tank in my Isuzu 3 liter turbo diesel. Ok it's a big tank, but it translates to about 16-17 kms per liter. (Trying real hard) Or around 14 kms per liter driving fairly normal. Or around 12 kms per liter driving fast or up mountains and stuff.

Edited by TheEmperorOfTheNorth

Most of the vehicle dealerships in Loei are on highway 201 just south of the city. The past couple of months there has been a huge project being built. It turns out that it is a new Mitsubishi dealership. It is easily the largest building of all the dealerships. They apparently have high hopes. As for myself, I just can't get used to the body style of the Triton. I still think it is incredibly ugly.