Skydiver in death-spin over England (video)

webfact

Watch the video: Skydiver in death-spin over England

LONDON: -- Student skydiver Eugene S. was recently having a training session when he spun from the standard ground-facing position and was sent into a dangerous ‘death-spin’.

His instructors spend several seconds (which is quite a long time when you a hurtling towards earth) trying to get him under control, before one of them manages to get hold of him and release his parachute.

Who would have thought that jumping out of a plane 30,000ft in the air with nothing but a small piece of plastic to save you could be dangerous?

In spite of these risks, people still enjoy skydiving, even though videos like this clearly demonstrate how easily things can go very wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQO_6qBfQU4

All three reportedly landed safely, however there is no information on whether or not Eugene will be continuing his skydiving training.

Source: http://www.eturbonews.com/50746/watch-video-skydiver-death-spin-over-england

-- eTN 2014-09-25

I remember that Keanu Reeves managed to skydive perfectly without training in "Point Break" and everyone was able to do have a nice chat while diving for (what was it) - 3 minutes? His second jump then was even without parachute and he had perfect control so he could reach Patrick Swayze in time to use his (one man) parachute, and together they had a safe landing. Wouldn't it be nice if life was like the movies? smile.png

Edited by catweazle

30,000 feet, not likely!

Skydivers at the most , usually at the highest jump out at 12.500, only because above this height or higher they need to be on oxygen,

hypoxia sets in , i have experienced it, as a pro jumper!

but at 12,500 you have 60 seconds, of free fall the instructors are supposed to hold on to the jumper

till the chute opens, the one left go to film him, mistake, as shown, for this jump the first time jumper should

also have an automatic opener on the reserve , that would fire off opening the reserve, if still free falling below

1200 feet!

The 12,500 feet is likely standard in North America (and other countries) as it is a Federal Regulation in America that if above a (cabin pressure) altitude of 12,500 feet MSL for more than 30 minutes the pilot is required to be on supplemental oxygen.

I jump out at 13,000 feet at Nong Kho airfield near Siracha......

Not better than sex but exhilarating nonetheless!

30,000 feet, not likely!

Skydivers at the most , usually at the highest jump out at 12.500, only because above this height or higher they need to be on oxygen,

hypoxia sets in , i have experienced it, as a pro jumper!

but at 12,500 you have 60 seconds, of free fall the instructors are supposed to hold on to the jumper

till the chute opens, the one left go to film him, mistake, as shown, for this jump the first time jumper should

also have an automatic opener on the reserve , that would fire off opening the reserve, if still free falling below

1200 feet!

Actually, most skydives are done from 14,000 feet, well in Australia that is the standard.

This student jump looked to be a stage 2 or 3 jump. One of the instructors fly to the front of the student to test the students heading control.

However, as you did correctly point out, 1 instructor must have a grip on the student at all times. The instructor that remained holding the student as the other flew to the front, in my opinion, released the student way too early. When the student attempted to dump out (deploy parachute) he looks to drop a knee which will induce a turn. He panicked, over compensated and flipped.

Both instructors on this jump were most likely reprimanded (should have been), and the student learned a valuable lesson.

A Cypres or AAD (automatic activation device) must be fitted to every rig. It is designed to activate the reserve parachute at a preset altitude if the rate of descent is over a certain threshold. It works by using a cutter to cut the reserve container closing loop.

I did 1,986 jumps during my career as a freefall cameraman.

Edited by Tim007

No big deal, I'd say this is a pretty standard bad student! But of course the media have to sensationalise everything. The instructors are trained to get in there and help him to get stable and deploy his parachute and, as some people already pointed out, he would be equipped with an automatic opening device in case he completely fails to open his own parachute.

Definitely not an internationally newsworthy story. Next.