Certificate of Residency Immigration; Chiang Mai

UPDATE:

Chiang Mai Immigration is no longer doing Certificates of Residency at the office near Airport.
You must now go to immigration that is located across from Promenada. I believe it's called Krua Pla Thong. Near the intersection of road 11 and road 1141.

I was excited when I was asked to pick up my Cert of Residency tomorrow between 1-4pm... I said, "ok".. and then the young man said, "500 baht". I acted shocked and he said, "Oh, you want free?" I said yes.... My friend told him she called immigration in Bangkok and they said Cert of Res is free...ok he said, go to window 3.... Window 3 is the same man from Airport Immigration doing cert of res... he looked over the paper work, gave me a piece of paper... says come back Oct 24.... 500 baht = 24 hours OR free = 30 days.....55555

Why do I even need the stupid thing... I am live here paying for a retirement visa and have a rental contract... The very same documents I provide to immigration... why can't I just give these to the transport office?

Yes, all this was reported in the Chiangmai forum weeks ago.

A residence certificate, either from Immigration or from your Consulate, is required, not a rental contract.

(Presumably, anyone could make up the latter, but Immigration should have your address on record so can confirm the contract.)

^^^...

Yes cheap - But there seems to be some ambiguity as to the timeframe of a free document - Is it 10 days?... 2 weeks? ... 30 days?...

If there is no clear and written rule then one would also ask if the 500 "fee" is sanctioned by immigration or just local office corruption?

The money is surely not going to maintain the parking lot...

Where is our benevolent General Prime Minister when you need him?... coffee1.gif

Edited by sfokevin
  • Like 1