Truly unimaginable: 'Beyond imagination' mall to open west of Bangkok

webfact

I've only been to these Mega Malls just a few times, and most of the stores I see are empty of shoppers. Plus, most of the strollers in the Mall are carrying no shopping bags. The only businesses I see thriving are in the food courts,pharmacies or the little kiosks in the center that sell cremes, cosmetics and beauty products to female customers. I think most people in the Malls are window shopping and taking advantage of the air conditioning to beat the heat outdoors. smile.png

Who is the richest man in Thailand and what does he do for a living? The new No. 1 is the Chirathivat family, owners of the Central Group, a retail and hotel conglomerate that saw group revenues rise 27% to a record $7 billion in 2013.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/naazneenkarmali/2014/06/04/thailands-50-richest-2014-some-win-some-lose-amid-political-strife/

Some one is right and someone is wrong. You or Forbes?

I am right! He is the richest man in Thailand because of the Astronomically sky high rents his company charges for the lease per sq. meter of retail space. Not by the amount of shoppers who are actually purchasing merchandise in his malls. I also don't believe the Chirathivat family places an added surcharge on every item the shoppes sell in their malls to accumulate their wealth. However, I could be wrong with that one. Forbes and You are looking at the bull's eye. I'm looking at the entire target. It is weird when you go into a Mall and six months later a shoppe is going under renovation because another business has failed and a different one is moving into that space. I'll stand my ground on this one based on personal observation and experience and not what a bedazzled writer in Forbes gushes about. wai2.gif

I've only been to these Mega Malls just a few times, and most of the stores I see are empty of shoppers. Plus, most of the strollers in the Mall are carrying no shopping bags. The only businesses I see thriving are in the food courts,pharmacies or the little kiosks in the center that sell cremes, cosmetics and beauty products to female customers. I think most people in the Malls are window shopping and taking advantage of the air conditioning to beat the heat outdoors. smile.png

Who is the richest man in Thailand and what does he do for a living? The new No. 1 is the Chirathivat family, owners of the Central Group, a retail and hotel conglomerate that saw group revenues rise 27% to a record $7 billion in 2013.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/naazneenkarmali/2014/06/04/thailands-50-richest-2014-some-win-some-lose-amid-political-strife/

I am right! He is the richest man in Thailand because of the Astronomically sky high rents his company charges for the lease per sq. meter of retail space. Not by the amount of shoppers who are actually purchasing merchandise in his malls. I also don't believe the Chirathivat family places an added surcharge on every item the shoppes sell in their malls to accumulate their wealth. However, I could be wrong with that one. Forbes and You are looking at the bull's eye. I'm looking at the entire target. It is weird when you go into a Mall and six months later a shoppe is going under renovation because another business has failed and a different one is moving into that space. I'll stand my ground on this one based on personal observation and experience and not what a bedazzled writer in Forbes gushes about. wai2.gif

No, You are wrong. Who cares how he gets the money or how high his rents are. He is the richest man in Thailand because he has the most money. Game, set, match. Forbes beats your small sample of anecdotal evidence.

Who says that innovation, originality, design and forward planning cannot be found in Thailand?

Beyond Imagination is right. What a boost for Thailand's image.

Here we will see growing out of the sludge of cement and steel girders the greatest mall ever.

Even the name is truly amazingly beyond expectations.. "Central" (erm unlike any others in Thailand - well can't really avoid that can they) "Westgate" (erm because it is in the west of the city and leading into it?) Anyway, it is sure to be filled with all the well-known brand name fashion shops that Thais like to see as they walk past. A giant food court will sell all the favourite Thai street dishes adapted for a relatively clean room , and every corner will have a branch of Mcdonalds, Starbucks, Burger King, Pizza Hut etc etc which will give visitors unparalleled consumer choice. Truly inspired planning.

Weekdays it will be a paradise for local school children and uni kids to wander around for hours while they wait for their school or their parents to arrange a better alternative. Weekends the wide and sterile corridors will be filled with huge numbers of families who have the opportunity to spend their free weekends looking in the windows of expensive brand name shops selling imported goods they cannot afford.

And the master stroke of genius - locate it outside the city centre, so everyone will have to drive there. The planners have had the best interests of the city inhabitants at heart. Once the most important families have discovered this new and exciting way to do exactly the same shopping experience as every other mall offers, then the police will not have to close all the main roads in the city to provide a safe passage for the motorcade to use, just the roads on the outskirts. This will improve traffic flow no end.

Well done - great to see positive news and urban development with foresight...

Bravo! clap2.gif Spot on Posting!

No, You are wrong. Who cares how he gets the money or how high his rents are. He is the richest man in Thailand because he has the most money. Game, set, match. Forbes beats your small sample of anecdotal evidence.

NO, YOU are wrong. First off, Forbes makes a great liner for the bottom of a bird cage, I get all the Financial and Business information by subscribing to the Financial Times and from my Financial Planner. Second, Good for him he is the richest man in Thailand. It makes no difference to me because I'm NOT. I've lived in Thailand for over a Decade and have all I need to live comfortably in a Condo in Bangkok and a getaway house in the Mrs. Village. I go to Malls, Mega Malls, Hub Malls infrequently and I will reiterate my original post just for YOU. I go and see lots of window shoppers without carrying bags. I see stores mostly devoid of shoppers and alot of staff just milling about. I do see the kiosks, food court and pharmacies busy but that's about it. I do see more purchases being made in Patpongs Night Market and the surrounding Sala Dang area. Also, the Suan Phlu Night Bazaar and the stalls up and down Sukhumvit are also busy. The fact of the matter is he is rich from the amount of malls and the high lease rates he gets monthly. Plus, stores in the malls are always changing because they don't have the purchasing customer base and fold up like a cheap umbrella. You are trying to challenge what I personally see and experience first hand and I will not allow you to change my mind. "He is the richest man in Thailand because he has the most money"? That's like saying "The bucket is full because the water is up to the top". What does your arguing points regarding wealthy families have to do with a lot of shoppers walking around Malls empty handed? NOTHING! It's meaningless, devoid of any factual matter. Game, set, match? <deleted> is that supposed to mean? I'll go one BETTER! GOAL! And the clock runs out of time! YOU, the loser strolls down wash out lane! Sha Nah Nah Nah- Sha Nah Nah Nah-Hey Hey Hey-Good Bye! cheesy.gif

NO, YOU are wrong. First off, Forbes makes a great liner for the bottom of a bird cage, I get all the Financial and Business information by subscribing to the Financial Times and from my Financial Planner. Second, Good for him he is the richest man in Thailand. It makes no difference to me because I'm NOT. I've lived in Thailand for over a Decade and have all I need to live comfortably in a Condo in Bangkok and a getaway house in the Mrs. Village. I go to Malls, Mega Malls, Hub Malls infrequently and I will reiterate my original post just for YOU. I go and see lots of window shoppers without carrying bags. I see stores mostly devoid of shoppers and alot of staff just milling about. I do see the kiosks, food court and pharmacies busy but that's about it. I do see more purchases being made in Patpongs Night Market and the surrounding Sala Dang area. Also, the Suan Phlu Night Bazaar and the stalls up and down Sukhumvit are also busy. The fact of the matter is he is rich from the amount of malls and the high lease rates he gets monthly. Plus, stores in the malls are always changing because they don't have the purchasing customer base and fold up like a cheap umbrella. You are trying to challenge what I personally see and experience first hand and I will not allow you to change my mind. "He is the richest man in Thailand because he has the most money"? That's like saying "The bucket is full because the water is up to the top". What does your arguing points regarding wealthy families have to do with a lot of shoppers walking around Malls empty handed? NOTHING! It's meaningless, devoid of any factual matter. Game, set, match? <deleted> is that supposed to mean? I'll go one BETTER! GOAL! And the clock runs out of time! YOU, the loser strolls down wash out lane! Sha Nah Nah Nah- Sha Nah Nah Nah-Hey Hey Hey-Good Bye! cheesy.gif

Stop the childish flaming. I wrote, "Who is the richest man in Thailand and what does he do for a living? The new No. 1 is the Chirathivat family, owners of the Central Group, a retail and hotel conglomerate that saw group revenues rise 27% to a record $7 billion in 2013."

That is the truth and you have written nothing that disputes that. "At the height of the Thai political crisis in 2014 which saw widespread unrest, Chirathivat opened the most luxurious of his Bangkok shopping centres to date. Central Embassy bowed with much fanfare welcoming the likes of Prada, Hermès, Tom Ford and Christian Louboutin." //www.businessoffashion.com/tos-chirathivat

Since you subscribe to the Financial Times I'm sure you read the article below.

You feel better, business is better, everything’s better,” Mr Tos (Chirathivat) says during an interview in Harrods’ tea room, one of scores of luxury brands hosted by Central’s Embassy mall in the Thai capital. “We had no peace; lots of fighting and lots of argument; every party was blaming each other. And now it’s peaceful.

http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/0/3b6cac74-141a-11e4-b46f-00144feabdc0.html#axzz3FcttqBBk

So Mr Chirathivat the richest man in Thailand says, "The last month has been good and the next two months should be very good,” Mr Tos says. “But then, after that, we need to see what will happen.

I guess we could question his education vs yours? Tos the richest man in Thailand,

"Education: 1981-1985 Degree in Economics at Wesleyan University, Connecticut

1986-1987 MBA in Finance at Columbia University

VS your mall walking fantasies. Well like they sat up to you who to believe.

Stop the childish flaming. I wrote, "Who is the richest man in Thailand and what does he do for a living? The new No. 1 is the Chirathivat family, owners of the Central Group, a retail and hotel conglomerate that saw group revenues rise 27% to a record $7 billion in 2013."

That is the truth and you have written nothing that disputes that. "At the height of the Thai political crisis in 2014 which saw widespread unrest, Chirathivat opened the most luxurious of his Bangkok shopping centres to date. Central Embassy bowed with much fanfare welcoming the likes of Prada, Hermès, Tom Ford and Christian Louboutin." //www.businessoffashion.com/tos-chirathivat

You feel better, business is better, everything’s better,” Mr Tos (Chirathivat) says during an interview in Harrods’ tea room, one of scores of luxury brands hosted by Central’s Embassy mall in the Thai capital. “We had no peace; lots of fighting and lots of argument; every party was blaming each other. And now it’s peaceful.

http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/0/3b6cac74-141a-11e4-b46f-00144feabdc0.html#axzz3FcttqBBk

So Mr Chirathivat the richest man in Thailand says, "The last month has been good and the next two months should be very good,” Mr Tos says. “But then, after that, we need to see what will happen.

I guess we could question his education vs yours? Tos the richest man in Thailand,

"Stop the childish flaming"? "mall walking fantasies"? Are You NUTS or something like that? Get over it Pal, and Yes I have a MBA Degree from Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania. You need not question me any further because your argument is starting to make me think you are some sort of Lunatic. I personally don't give a Rat'5 A55 about your opinion. I did not in the beginning and I still don't. Opinions are just like A55holes, because everybody has one. However, you have self achieved in making yourself appear like one with the continuation of a senseless argument. You can take your all of your arguments and stick them up where the Sun Don't Shine! Are you locked up in an Asylum, or perhaps friendless with nothing better to do than argue with me over something quite stupid and boring. Your arguing points about the richest man in Thailand has absolutely nothing to do with my original posting. I've explained my position and my conclusion will not be changed by someone like yourself. I suggest you do something else with your time rather than argue with me. I sent you down Wash Out Lane before, now beat it! Can you dig it? DONE! beatdeadhorse.gif.pagespeed.ce.adWp7jUAu

"Stop the childish flaming"? "mall walking fantasies"? Are You NUTS or something like that? Get over it Pal, and Yes I have a MBA Degree from Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania. You need not question me any further because your argument is starting to make me think you are some sort of Lunatic. I personally don't give a Rat'5 A55 about your opinion. I did not in the beginning and I still don't. Opinions are just like A55holes, because everybody has one. However, you have self achieved in making yourself appear like one with the continuation of a senseless argument. You can take your all of your arguments and stick them up where the Sun Don't Shine! Are you locked up in an Asylum, or perhaps friendless with nothing better to do than argue with me over something quite stupid and boring. Your arguing points about the richest man in Thailand has absolutely nothing to do with my original posting. I've explained my position and my conclusion will not be changed by someone like yourself. I suggest you do something else with your time rather than argue with me. I sent you down Wash Out Lane before, now beat it! Can you dig it? DONE! beatdeadhorse.gif.pagespeed.ce.adWp7jUAu

You offer nothing to refute my argument that the new mega malls in Thailand are doing quiet well.

Flame #1. Are You NUTS or something like that?

Flame #2. you are some sort of Lunatic.

Flame #3. Opinions are just like A55holes, because everybody has one. However, you have self achieved in making yourself appear like one with the continuation of a senseless argument.

Flame #4. You can take your all of your arguments and stick them up where the Sun Don't Shine!

Flame #5. Are you locked up in an Asylum

Flame #6 I sent you down Wash Out Lane before, now beat it! Can you dig it? DONE!

• 6 months later...

this new Mall may be just the very thing to convince the missus to take another short trip back to LOS.

This week end, we have finally exhausted our supply of once-only-visited-Malls in Melbourne

Missus bores very easily, and will never go back to the same one...

It still thinks like a 3rd world country.

And the advantage of a first world country is???

Is this why so many TV members have left the first world to live in the Third world?

Guys could somebody pop over to where this mall is located to see if it's open? No news on central's website. Google streetview which is outdated shows it as just a skeletal frame but the news report on this thread says it will be completed in 2015 and malls always open before they are fully completed.

Hopefully there was some foresight and the signage is also in Chinese and Arabic.

The connection to the port in Burma could be useful once the Chinese cruise industry gets going. Based on the exponential growth here of Chinese the infrastructure can't support too many more busses. However, dropping off 5000 at a port, which connects via rail would be genius. Maybe the planner is looking forward?