Thai girl who lost legs after falling onto tracks loses appeal against SMRT: Singapore

webfact

Thai girl who lost legs after falling onto tracks loses appeal against SMRT and LTA

2-10-2557-12-38-52-wpcf_728x411.jpg

SINGAPORE: -- Thai teenager Nitcharee Peneakchanasak has lost her appeal against an earlier ruling that rail operator SMRT and the Land Transport Authority (LTA) were not at fault for an accident at Ang Mo Kio MRT station in April 2011.

The Court of Appeal on Wednesday dismissed the 18-year-old’s claim that SMRT and LTA were negligent by failing to ensure that the station was safe for commuters, The Straits Times reported.

She was 14 when she fell onto the tracks at Ang Mo Kio MRT station on April 3, 2011 and was hit by a train pulling in – leading to one leg being severed and the other being amputated.

In January this year, Nitcharee had lost her claim of $3.4 million in damages and was ordered to bear the costs of the trial, including lawyers fees, incurred by the defendants and the fees of the expert witnesses who testified during the 12-day trial in 2012. After Wednesday’s verdict, defendants’ lawyer, Mr K. Anparasan of KhattarWong, told the court that his clients would not be pursuing cost “out of compassion, sympathy and goodwill”.

Speaking to the media outside the Supreme Court, Nitcharee who was fighting to hold back her tears and her father, thanked Singaporeans for their support and generosity.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/thai-girl-lost-legs-falling-onto-tracks-loses-appeal-smrt-lta/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-10-02

Most if not all train platforms around the world are fashioned the same way, what have caused the

young lady to fall on to the tracks is baffling but I agree with the verdict and can't see where

the operator was negligent....

Accidental falls at train platforms are common. BTS has been installing platform barriers to prevent accidental falls. Hopefully, this will become an international safety standard. Singapore MRT was correctly found not to be negligent as a matter of law. installation of the barriers is considered a discretionary function. In common law, budgetary decisions of the government can't be questioned by a court deciding if the failure to fund constituted negligence.

I lived there for years. It is an extremely corrupt country. The govt owns the courts which rubber stamp whatever they are told to. It isn't even a real country actually not in the common sense of the word. Hopefully it will be swallowed up by the sea in the not too distant future. I can tell you stories as I actually knew some of the bright shining stars back when, Nair, Chaim, BG, Choh, etc and some of the antics they did. They would have been imprisoned in any other civilized region. I feel for that young girl. Stay away from them.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Next time I crash my car, i'll sue the car manufacturer

A 14 year old girl lost both her legs. Regardless of whose fault it was a bit of compassion would be nice.

If I wanted to give compassion, I'll go to the temple.

You ain't getting any from me. Nuff said.

You can go join the taxi who robs people because he is poor and needs a family to support.

Weak people rely on feelings, take the situation as it is, leave your feelings out. It clouds your judgement. That is the exact reason why she is on media, to fool people like you. Ask any decent lawyer, they knew her case was a joke. Next time someone jumps down from the department store 7th floor, you can sue the department store.

Your trying to be tough but in reality your talking rubbish. A kid has been left crippled for life. If anybody doesn't feel sympathy for her then you must have mental problems. You sound like one of these freaks who hate the human race. I hope you can find some happiness in your life.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

A 14 year old girl lost both her legs. Regardless of whose fault it was a bit of compassion would be nice.

You can go join the taxi who robs people because he is poor and needs a family to support.

Weak people rely on feelings, take the situation as it is, leave your feelings out. It clouds your judgement. That is the exact reason why she is on media, to fool people like you. Ask any decent lawyer, they knew her case was a joke. Next time someone jumps down from the department store 7th floor, you can sue the department store.

Your trying to be tough but in reality your talking rubbish. A kid has been left crippled for life. If anybody doesn't feel sympathy for her then you must have mental problems. You sound like one of these freaks who hate the human race. I hope you can find some happiness in your life.

Nobody needs to try to be tough. I am tough, and top of the food chain here in this economy. Your problem is, you have a problem minding your own business. You talk without any real actions. Your what we call the internet tough guy, trying to use thaivisa to make yourself feel superior. Close that damn computer and log off, and go cook for that kid, take your savings and provide her with the care she deserves.

Once you have done that, you can talk to my left smelly foot. The toes will clap for your great achievement.