Dvd's

Ling Kae

I've bought a couple of DVD's recently and they have been duds, mostly poor quality. Can any of you recommend any reliable DVD sales stalls or places that are good and will exchange if any are faulty? Thanks.

Pirated copies maybe :o................. I don't think that you'll get very much from this topic.

I've bought a couple of DVD's recently and they have been duds, mostly poor quality. Can any of you recommend any reliable DVD sales stalls or places that are good and will exchange if any are faulty? Thanks.

Good question. The dvd stores at Tescos etc have a very limited supply - loads of VCD's but very few dvd's - unlike bkk where I could get some genuine, good quality dvd's at reasonable prices.

The other week I was sitting at a bar in Mabprachan, and this guy had literally hundreds of dvd's for sale at 100 baht a pop. They were all the latest stuff, so I took a punt and bought 9. I was expecting the worst, but six of the nine were incredible quality, and 3 were duds. So still a bargain. The da Vinci Code was unwatchable, but Walk The line was great. Some animated stuff I bought was excellent qualityalso.

I always try to stay legit if I can, but it looks like the market in Pattaya will force me to use the pirates. Open a store with good stock of legit DVD's at sensible prices and I'll be happy to go there. :o

Pirated copies maybe :o................. I don't think that you'll get very much from this topic.

....but I could be proven wrong!!!

TukCom - bought Lost Season2 and Rome. (perfect quality) From my experience its either hit or miss from other sources - depends on how recent the film is.

Do you remember off hand what level you bought it on? I will find from there, thanks.

TukCom - bought Lost Season2 and Rome. (perfect quality) From my experience its either hit or miss from other sources - depends on how recent the film is.

Brit is right on. My DVD lady in the north told me that she has DVD's within days of the movie hitting BKK, but if i want a good copy, wait 2-3 weeks and she will have it. :o

Do you remember off hand what level you bought it on? I will find from there, thanks.

Floor 5????? Lad with a shop right after you get off the escalator - used him a few times and spot on.

I think it's floor 4, the software floor. The guy in front of the escalator does have a good selection.

For original DVDs there is Mangpong on the ground floor of Tukcom and also at Big C, Pattaya Tai. They have some interesting releases at low prices.

Panthip in BKK seems to have a very good selection at the lowest prices, and there are (were) some outlets in what used to be the World Trade Centre selling a wide range of original DVDs.

If you really can't get what you want... Amazon!

Dont buy anything too new. Only buy movies that are at least 6 months old. Otherwise there will be a fair chance that it is a Handy-Cam in the Cinema job.

The DVD 5s that the touts sell around the bars for 100 baht are ok providing they are not latest releases.

The DVD 9s that are sold at places like Tuk Com for 180 baht are ok , again providing they are not too new, but are quite often only 5s dressed up as 9s or if they are genuine 9s they don't have many special features. At least at Tuk Com you can ask them to play the DVD before you buy it to check the quality.

Sometimes you can pick up the genuine DVDs with the audio in english , but thai script on the covers from the regular shops for between 100 and 300 baht.

Thanks guys, looks like I'll get the next batch from Tuk.com. By the way my 2 duds were the new Posideon movie and Lucky Number Slevin. Great advice.. :D

Funny enough bought Posideon and Lucky Number 7 from 100bht DVD lad and perfect. Now can't say the same for a few others I bought from him. :o

You may be getting duds because you need to buy an "all zone" DVD player. Very important to verify all zone when you buy a DVD machine. Also, next time you go shopping for DVDs you may want to bring your laptop to check it yourself!

Edited by bangkapiboy

South Pattaya market, the part west (seaside) of Soi Buakao, has a shop selling DVD's at 100 baht each. They replace the DVD's if you're unhappy with it, no questions asked. Make sure you ask for "mastercopy". Don't accept the "99%" dvd's, they're usually handjobs :o

I don't know about "prying eyes". I'm sure it's not a secret and whichever pooyai needs to be taken care of has been taken care of. They've been in business there for years.

Edited by Phil Conners