Thais Urged To Turn To Use Locally-made Clothes

george

Thais urged to turn to use locally-made clothes

BANGKOK: -- More campaigns for Thai people to turn to use locally-produced goods, particularly clothes, should be launched since the country’s import of the products in the first half of this year surged by 45.4 per cent, according to KASIKORN Research Center.

In a research report on “Clothes in 2006: Imports Rise Despite Economic Downturn,” the leading think thank said the clothes import surge was seen from countries where production costs are low such as China, India and Vietnam and those where clothes are expensive such as European Union and the United States.

The import value of low-cost clothes surged by 98.2 per cent on average and that of expensive clothes by 68.1 per cent. It resulted in Thailand losing foreign currency while experiencing a trade deficit of up to US$2.03 billion in the first half of the year.

As well, the locally made products had to experience stiffer competition, which could finally lead to an employment problem in the clothes industry.

To prevent and ease possible impacts, KRC said, the government and entrepreneurs should step up campaigns for Thai people to turn to use locally made clothes of various assortments ranging from cheap and premium products.

As well, local entrepreneurs need to try to reduce production costs and develop the product quality to satisfy consumers.

KRC attributed the clothes import surge to the economic slowdown since people had limited purchase power and so turned to buy cheap products.

As well, the strengthening of the baht had partially reduced costs of the import of expensive clothes and the trade liberalization had made Chinese products flow into Thailand in a larger amount.

At the same time, Thai people, particularly youngsters, tend to imitate the foreign dressing fashion. So, imported clothes have gained increased popularity.

KRC said the surge in clothes import boded ill for the country’s trade balance and local traders of clothes.

The situation could deteriorate if the free trade area agreements between Thailand and other countries were implemented since import tariffs on clothes would be low or zero.

--TNA 2006-07-28

I normally buy clothes in the States. Shirts, ties, socks underwear are better made over there and last much longer eventhough a majority of them are made in China. I remembered I bought shoes made in Thailand overthere, the quality was decent however if you have bought the same shoe in Thailand the quality would have not been as good. Do Thai consumers care about quality? I'm not sure but I know Thais are capable of making quality goods.

This article show you the deep of the problems of Thailand !

China is taking over by they low cost and professionalism, Thailand use to be a place where supplier was buying from , they most all vanish now .

They prefer to deal with china, where the price is more competitive and they can have a small run.

I am not sure how Thailand is going to be able to sort thing out !

The tourist industry is not doing well , factoring also .

Gorging the land of salt and chemical to be able to export prawns will back fire in few years !

As many thing in Thailand when they scream fire , the house is already gutter by the flames !