Thai household debt is top of all complaints that authorities receive from people

webfact

Household debt is top of all complaints

10-31-2014-10-42-37-AM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Household debt is the most complaint that authorities received from the people, Prime Minister’s Office minister ML Panadda Diskul said.

His revelation came after he paid a visit to the complaint centre yesterday at the Office of the Permanent Secretary of the Prime Minister’s Office in a bid to evaluate the centre’s work and follow up on Thai people’s problems.

He noted that after representatives from all 20 ministries were stationed at the center, the overall working process had been more efficient as related officials could directly give advice to those in need.

After his assessment, the minister disclosed that the majority of complaints pertained to debt problems, followed by vocational hardships and encroachment of public land by residential structures.

Most complaints were submitted to the Ministry of Justice, the Ministry of Interior and the Ministry of Labour respectively.

He said he planned to request the Prime Minister to establish permanent complaint centres to serve the people.

He added that an additional center would soon be set up at the old building of the Office of the Civil Service Commission following the increase in the number of complaints being filed each day.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/household-debt-top-complaints/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-10-31

"Household debt is the most complaint that authorities received from the people..."

Not too difficult to figure out. Don't spend more than you have, hoping that someone will drop off a pile of money on your doorstep to pay off your debts.

Think of it as this way: You have 10 fingers and 10 toes. Think of them as money. Every time you pay for something, imagine cutting off one of those fingers or toes. When you get to 20 and you want to spend #21, the only thing you have let to cut off requires that you pull down your zipper and cut off what is left.

Would seem like a simple concept. However, people around the world have yet to grasp it, and that is all they are left holding.giggle.gif

• Like 1

While it is very easy to say don't spend so much its not always that simple.

Yes some are in debt because of unnecessary overspending and for those I have no sympathy.

However for those in poverty or on pathetically low wages the situation is very different.

If the cost of a basic standard of living outstrips earnings and inflation continues to rise while income does not then debt is inevitable.

There is only so much you can cut back on.

MANY are in debt because unnecessary overspending and stupidity, I'd guess 90%.

That's a guess.

A rather large one.

Do you have any stats/evidence to back this up?

• Like 1

Household debt is the most complaint that authorities received from the people,

And exactly whos fault is that, and why should the government step in to help?

Thais have no self control, and the very concept of living within a budget is absolutely foreign to them.

Except for the mafia loan sharks (which the government should stomp out), pretty much everything else is the fault of the person in debt.

People buying iPhones on credit are outwith my sympathy orbit, I'm afraid.

I was waiting at the Gourmet Market to checkout when the woman (Thai) in front of me whipped out a credit card to pay for 250 baht of candies. And then it took forever to process the CC.

While it is very easy to say don't spend so much its not always that simple.

Yes some are in debt because of unnecessary overspending and for those I have no sympathy.

However for those in poverty or on pathetically low wages the situation is very different.

If the cost of a basic standard of living outstrips earnings and inflation continues to rise while income does not then debt is inevitable.

MANY are in debt because unnecessary overspending and stupidity, I'd guess 90%.

That's a guess.

A rather large one.

Do you have any stats/evidence to back this up?

Yes it's a guess.

I made the guess based on my observations and based on what information I get from friends and relations, some of them poor, in Isaan.

I know at least 2 guys who bought trucks on credit, trucks worth 500 or 600k, they have to pay 9000 baht a month.

Second hand alternatives were available for 120k baht, but no... Now they work their asses off in low-paying jobs to pay back, and when they can't meet an important payment, it's off to the loan shark.

I guess it impresses the neighbors even more when they stink of fermented fish they sell.

Another guy took a debt and went gambling.

Another guy complains of having no money, but spends at least 3000 baht a month for "tuning" his motorcycle.

Girls and women will gladly believe any advertising promising them beauty or health benefits from such cream or such elixir. Snake oil is very much alive in Thailand, they spend thousands of baht every year on this bullshit.

When in shops, many are unable / unwilling to make the effort to compare prices of products.

From maybe 100 poorish people I know directly or indirectly, there are only a handful of which I would say they handle money wisely.

Many will pawn stuff or take up loans instead of cutting on expenses when they don't have money and will carry on going out to eat or go on a holiday with the family.

I know of only one of them who is saving money every month to buy rental real estate or make other clever investments.

Yes, well, my experiences are very different.

• Like 2

Yes it's a guess.

I made the guess based on my observations and based on what information I get from friends and relations, some of them poor, in Isaan.

I know at least 2 guys who bought trucks on credit, trucks worth 500 or 600k, they have to pay 9000 baht a month.

Second hand alternatives were available for 120k baht, but no... Now they work their asses off in low-paying jobs to pay back, and when they can't meet an important payment, it's off to the loan shark.

I guess it impresses the neighbors even more when they stink of fermented fish they sell.

Another guy complains of having no money, but spends at least 3000 baht a month for "tuning" his motorcycle.

Girls and women will gladly believe any advertising promising them beauty or health benefits from such cream or such elixir. Snake oil is very much alive in Thailand, they spend thousands of baht every year on this bullshit.

When in shops, many are unable / unwilling to make the effort to compare prices of products.

From maybe 100 poorish people I know directly or indirectly, there are only a handful of which I would say they handle money wisely.

Many will pawn stuff or take up loans instead of cutting on expenses when they don't have money and will carry on going out to eat or go on a holiday with the family.

I know of only one of them who is saving money every month to buy rental real estate or make other clever investments.

can you post some specifics on your experience then

People buying iPhones on credit are outwith my sympathy orbit, I'm afraid.

I was waiting at the Gourmet Market to checkout when the woman (Thai) in front of me whipped out a credit card to pay for 250 baht of candies. And then it took forever to process the CC.

Maybe it's a rewards card. I always use my credit cart to pay. I haven't paid for a plane ticket in over a decade.

Yes it's a guess.

There are people I know of who are struggling due to income and expenditure.

On the one hand income has remained static or risen slightly, while on the other [expenditure due to inflation/price rises] has risen.

The debt accumulates because there is a growing gap.

It's not crushing them or putting them on the street, but the debt is growing and there is very little they can do about it.

• Like 1

There has been a rise in the cost of living, and I'm doubtful companies are compensating their employees to meet it. That being said, it's hard to accommodate any 'complaint' about household debt when you see iPhones, massive SUVs, and other luxuries being purchased by your average Somchai on credit. Learn how to live within your means and avoid expensive loans.

On the one hand income has remained static or risen slightly, while on the other [expenditure due to inflation/price rises] has risen.

It's not crushing them or putting them on the street, but the debt is growing and there is very little they can do about it.

Income is what you earn. Expenditures is what you spend. If income is not high enough why not A. Cut expenditures or B. Increase income.

My son says, "Dad I want a car." I say Son, "Get a job."

Yes it's a guess.

Stop betting on lotteries is a good start.

Household debt is the most complaint that authorities received from the people, Prime Minister’s Office minister ML Panadda Diskul said.

and the answer ML Panadda Diskul should give is... "stop spending money you don't have then"

In this village along with "stop spending money you don't have" would be go to work. Hell this seems like a "retirement village" with many many many able bodies adults. It stands to reason why folks here are poor.

Income is what you earn. Expenditures is what you spend. If income is not high enough why not A. Cut expenditures or B. Increase income.

So you get another job. If you have one job you get two. I'm not from a nanny state. I always assumed if one needs money one works for it. I was a caddy at 14 and a dishwasher in a restaurant at 15 and worked my way through college with 3 part time jobs. Didn't hurt me.

With 1% unemployment there a ton of jobs in Thailand that need filling every day.

Edited by thailiketoo
  • Like 1

So you get another job. If you have one job you get two. I'm not from a nanny state. I always assumed if one needs money one works for it. I was a caddy at 14 and a dishwasher in a restaurant at 15 and worked my way through college with 3 part time jobs. Didn't hurt me.

With 1% unemployment there a ton of jobs in Thailand that need filling every day.

Many of which do not pay enough to keep up with cost of living.

You can of course get another job [such caring advice] but if you have children when will you see them?

When do you give them the attention they need?

People should not have to make choices such as this, they should be paid a living wage.

That's not a nanny state [man, how I hate that BS phrase], that's paying people a wage that reflects the cost of living.

It's all very well to reminisce about what you did as a student or a teenager back in the day, but those sort of jobs do not often pay enough to support and raise a family.

You can of course get another job [such caring advice] but if you have children when will you see them?

People should not have to make choices such as this, they should be paid a living wage.

That's not a nanny state [man, how I hate that BS phrase], that's paying people a wage that reflects the cost of living.

It's all very well to reminisce about what you did as a student or a teenager back in the day, but those sort of jobs do not often pay enough to support and raise a family.

In a free market one gets paid what one is worth. If you want to be worth some more money get a skill or education. Outside of nanny states and communist countries that is a fact of life.

Proctologists get paid more than toilet attendants although they both deal with the same stuff.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his need does not work if you hadn't heard. Have you looked at Cuba lately?

Welcome to the wonderful 'western' world and the nightmare lurking beneath the surface of the American Dream. Hardly unique to Thailand. Be careful what you wish for, as things are rarely as they seem. Once they get you hooked to overconsumption and credit, it is harder to kick than heroin or crack.

Who needs slavery, anyway? It is much better for to saddle you with debt, and get you to spend the rest of your life working to pay off the interest you owe. That way, they need not worry about sheltering and feeding you. And as long as we all keep breeding like rabbits, there will be plenty of other desperate, poor people to take your place if you start to get to uppity and demand better wages and working conditions. Nothing new, the powers that be that control the wealth have been playing this game for a very long time, the rest of us were never meant to win, which is why we very rarely do (usually by a combination of dumb luck and stooping to their level).

• Like 2

Household debt is the most complaint that authorities received from the people, Prime Minister’s Office minister ML Panadda Diskul said.

and the answer ML Panadda Diskul should give is... "stop spending money you don't have then"

like our western governments, like our western people.

In a free market one gets paid what one is worth. If you want to be worth some more money get a skill or education. Outside of nanny states and communist countries that is a fact of life.

Proctologists get paid more than toilet attendants although they both deal with the same stuff.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his need does not work if you hadn't heard. Have you looked at Cuba lately?

Ah good old 19 century liberalism. The I'm alright jack and sod you society. The poor law, the work houses, the misery, suffering and blind indifference to others because I don't want a society where all are supported.

How we have missed those days, eh.

The wealthy stay wealthy and the poor do as they're told.

Ah yes, how nostalgic.

Edited by Bluespunk