Thailand Motor Expo expected to propel slowing auto market

webfact

AUTOMOBILE
Motor show expected to propel slowing auto market

The Nation

30247682-01_big.jpg
At the Motor Expo, Mazda will be expecting a large number of pre-orders for its new Mazda2 before the official launch takes place early next year. Both the hatchback and sedan, the latter yet to be unveiled, will be offered.

Annual event likely to see 1.5 million visitors and witness Bt54 billion in sales

BANGKOK: -- Despite Thailand's automobile market having to plough through a series of nasty road humps, as much as Bt54 billion is expected to be generated in sales during the upcoming 31st Thailand International Motor Expo.

Kwanchai Paphatphong, the organiser of the event which takes place at the Challenger Hall in Muangthong Thani from November 29-December 10, says as many as 40 automobile brands from 13 countries will be present, along with 11 motorcycle brands at the year's last auto exhibition and sales extravaganza.

The Motor Expo marks the final buying season of the year, with auto companies tripping over one another to offer attractive sales promotions and launch swanky new models.

"The highlight that should not be missed is the global premiere of an all-new model," Kwanchai said.

Japanese automaker Mazda is planning to unveil the sedan version of the new Mazda2 at this year's show, according to industry insiders. The new Mazda2, powered by a 1.5-litre Skyactiv diesel engine, is the first model to be made under the government's Eco-Car Phase 2 project. This latest Mazda will be officially launched early next year, although pre-orders will be accepted at the Motor Expo, Mazda Sales Thailand executives said.

Other models expected to gain strong interest from buyers are the Honda HR-V, Nissan X-Trail and Mitsubishi Triton.

Kwanchai said that this year 1.5 million people (up from last year's 1.38 million) are expected to visit the expo, while auto sales will peak at 50,000 vehicles (up from 41,000 in 2013).

Thailand's auto market has been hit hard this year by the political situation, a slowing economy and strict loan approvals by finance companies. Sales from January to September dived off the cliff by more than 37 per cent to 648,410 vehicles, and many expect the year to end at slightly over 900,000 vehicles.

The car market this year has slowed by as much as 45 per cent to just 273,000, while the commercial vehicle market has fallen by 30 per cent to 309,034.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/business/Motor-show-expected-to-propel-slowing-auto-market-30247682.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-11-14

This seems to be yet another "hopeful" pronouncement from yet another national body which aims to generate an optimistic attitude regarding the country's economy or "state of the nation".

We are getting a plethora of these "feel-good" statements from department after department all predicting "it'll be all right .... in a bit"

One can only assume the government is putting pressure on various institutions to put out these optimistic predictions in the hope that reality may follow the fantasy.

....but it one steps back, the only conclusion one can really draw is that since the coup various aspects of the country's economy as well as it's international image overall are in trouble.

• Like 1

This will do nothing to help the car industry out of its doldrums

SURE... Car sales at the expo are going to jump 18% to 50,000!

EVEN THOUGH overall car sales in the country were 648,410 in the first 10 months of the year, down 37% from the same period last year. (Thailand Automotive Institute Numbers).

I wish, for once, The Nation would go back and interview these schmucks after their lofty prognostications and ask, "Hey... Kwanchai... What happened?"

I imagine the new Everest will be on display as it debuted in Beijing yesterday.

Interestingly a modified 3.2 is still available in some markets.

I heard that the new Hilux release is to be brought forward to April 2015.

post-66452-0-06258400-1415939550_thumb.jpost-66452-0-82275700-1415939533_thumb.j

• Like 1

Before we're totally gridlocked in Chiang Mai, and more and more vehicles are fed into the system, how about city planners building car parks outside of the city and good, clean, efficient public bus services (or trains) provided.

The situation is fast becoming ludicrous, and as there are no emergency or public vehicle lanes, traffic is banked up for a kilometre or so along Huay Keow Rd, and ambulances or fire engines cannot move. They just sit there with sirens screaming, and no-one can or will move.

The suburbs are feeding thousands of vehicles into the main highways every hour, and they are then left to sort their way through inner city streets. An underpass at MAYA is one way to increase traffic flow, but where are the town planners?

It won't be long before traffic moving into the city area will need to pay a special tax, as they do in much larger cities, or as they do in Jakarta, insist that every vehicle carries at least three people.

The current situation is only going to get worse; the proposed rail system has obviously been shelved, the new bus shelters are unused. Song Tiaws are charging what they feel like.

The 'powers that be' need to appreciate that Thailand's second largest city is choking on an excess of vehicles and unchecked pollution, and PLANNING and public input should be given top priority.

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Before we're totally gridlocked in Chiang Mai, and more and more vehicles are fed into the system, how about city planners building car parks outside of the city and good, clean, efficient public bus services (or trains) provided.

The situation is fast becoming ludicrous, and as there are no emergency or public vehicle lanes, traffic is banked up for a kilometre or so along Huay Keow Rd, and ambulances or fire engines cannot move. They just sit there with sirens screaming, and no-one can or will move.

The suburbs are feeding thousands of vehicles into the main highways every hour, and they are then left to sort their way through inner city streets. An underpass at MAYA is one way to increase traffic flow, but where are the town planners?

It won't be long before traffic moving into the city area will need to pay a special tax, as they do in much larger cities, or as they do in Jakarta, insist that every vehicle carries at least three people.

The current situation is only going to get worse; the proposed rail system has obviously been shelved, the new bus shelters are unused. Song Tiaws are charging what they feel like.

The 'powers that be' need to appreciate that Thailand's second largest city is choking on an excess of vehicles and unchecked pollution, and PLANNING and public input should be given top priority.

Yeah a very good pipe dream

Sorry...fix Bangkok first : )

This will do nothing to help the car industry out of its doldrums

SURE... Car sales at the expo are going to jump 18% to 50,000!

EVEN THOUGH overall car sales in the country were 648,410 in the first 10 months of the year, down 37% from the same period last year. (Thailand Automotive Institute Numbers).

I wish, for once, The Nation would go back and interview these schmucks after their lofty prognostications and ask, "Hey... Kwanchai... What happened?"

Very simple !

People where on the protest side and had no time for

car shopping !!

And Military also used less cars,

no protests any more !!

And most of wanted showed up with the housemaids car !

And agriculture also need less cars ,

no fake crop transports expected !!

Didn*t you wrote last

tourists should come to CM , its a heavan,

a heavan of traffic jam !!

Yeah, but if they predicted some good looking promo girls, it might help attendance

I was there last year and the car show was incredibly disappointing it was miniscule compared to the UK show. The pretties however were outstanding. ;)

• Like 1

Sorry...fix Bangkok first : )

as usual bah.gif ...

Didn*t you wrote last

tourists should come to CM , its a heavan,

a heavan of traffic jam !!

It's certainly heaving, but not necessarily tourists.

I heard that the new Hilux release is to be brought forward to April 2015.

Brought forward, from a constantly slipping release date.... :P I can still recall when some expected it to come in 2012 ;)

Back to the OP, sales will probably be healthy at the show. If there's one thing the two major motor shows have taught the buying public over the past decade or so, it's to wait for the show to get the best deal. Even with massive discounts and 0% interest on offer from a broad range of manufacturers for the past few months, the general belief in the market is that even better deals will be on offer at the show..

Pretty soon, the only marketing strategy that will work for more sales will become, more shows :)

Yeah, but if they predicted some good looking promo girls, it might help attendance

I was there last year and the car show was incredibly disappointing it was miniscule compared to the UK show. The pretties however were outstanding. wink.png

I went the year before and my gf kept telling me the pretties were actually ladyboys . Deflated the enjoyment somewhat.

• Like 1

I was there last year and the car show was incredibly disappointing it was miniscule compared to the UK show. The pretties however were outstanding. wink.png

I went the year before and my gf kept telling me the pretties were actually ladyboys . Deflated the enjoyment somewhat.

I might say the same unless I was one of them, remember dear we are here to buy a new model....car.

There are only a few exciting new models being shown AFAIK:

1. New Ford Everest. Getting good early reviews

2. Mazda 2 Diesel: Category killer at the right price, but design language not that exciting, not really a mini Mazda 3.

3. New Honda HIV+ (ok, HR-V) or some other useless name, but better than Vezel. Relatively exciting new mini SUV, but because it's made in Indo some of the shine is off for domestic purchase in Thailand.

Anything else new I've missed?

Edited by keemapoot

There are only a few exciting new models being shown AFAIK:

1. New Ford Everest. Getting good early reviews

2. Mazda 2 Diesel: Category killer at the right price, but design language not that exciting, not really a mini Mazda 3.

3. New Honda HIV+ (ok, HR-V) or some other useless name, but better than Vezel. Relatively exciting new mini SUV, but because it's made in Indo some of the shine is off for domestic purchase in Thailand.

Anything else new I've missed?

Mitsu Triton, new X-Trail (which I personally like - plus we are going to get a high trim in a domestic model for a change).

Edited by IMHO

Some are, but not believe all what your GF says. She want your eyes more fixed on her, so she distracts your thoughts and your eyes. rolleyes.gif