Friends bid to repatriate body of killed Briton Sam Austin

Lite Beer

What about the British Embassy for once doing the decent thing??

Get the poor guys body home and worry about the monetary aspects later!!

I'm British and I don't expect my embassy to give a flying fig about my corpse once I've carked it. What does it matter where a body is finally laid to rest? I'd rather my family (or indeed my country) kept the money (and its expensive to fly the deceased home - it's not the same as finding them an aisle seat - there are health regulations to be met, coffins to be found to hold the body, etc.) rather than moved my no-longer-in-the-remotest-bit-concerned flesh around the world.

I actually agree with you, but this is not about you or me, but about the young mans family, who clearly feel different!!

If his family feel strongly enough about it - they can pay to take him home or otherwise they clearly don't feel that strongly and would prefer the British public paid instead... which they won't and nor should they.

Cold.

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All this bantering about insurance is making me sleepy. Far more fascinating is the fact

the police are hiding information regarding his death. This in a country where they are

more than happy to spread photos of dead bodies all over the newspapers. Hmmmm.

So clearly whatever happened to him would be extremely bad for tourism. As a few

people have alluded to, I am thinking southern islands as well . Given the spate of
Brit killings there, think just a few more would put the final nail in the coffin of tourism

there, so perhaps there are orders from on high to keep this death under wraps.....

All this bantering about insurance is making me sleepy. Far more fascinating is the fact

the police are hiding information regarding his death. This in a country where they are

So clearly whatever happened to him would be extremely bad for tourism. As a few

people have alluded to, I am thinking southern islands as well . Given the spate of

Brit killings there, think just a few more would put the final nail in the coffin of tourism

there, so perhaps there are orders from on high to keep this death under wraps.....

I agree with your first sentence. Enough about insurance already.

But, we don't know who is hiding information and why.

Purely speculation at the moment. I am leaning towards the authorities respecting the privacy of the deceased young man and his grieving family.

I don't put the rose colored glasses on very often but i am operatjng on a gut feeling. I hope i am right and you are wrong. If i am wrong and you Re right i would not be surprised.

Or maybe he committed suicide or died from a drug-OD, and out of respect for his family the lid is being kept on!!

Since there is no information from his family on FB about the cause of death, IMO confirms that theory.

Or maybe he committed suicide or died from a drug-OD, and out of respect for his family the lid is being kept on!!

Since there is no information from his family on FB about the cause of death, IMO confirms that theory.

Yea agree. It seems to be the most obvious scenario.

A timely report don't you think?

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-30163093

One person, who lost their partner in a plane crash in Nepal, told the committee: "The ambassador did not meet me... one of his juniors did. They arrived in shorts and T-shirt.

​Expecting the ambassador to meet them off the plane?

Given the number of deaths of Brits in Thailand our man in BKK would be greeting bereaved family members all day, ever day and night.

What what there should be is clear list of duties of the consular service... and standards, and I am sure being greeted by a consular official in shorts and "T" shirt would not happen in Thailand.

I agree with your first sentence. Enough about insurance already.

But, we don't know who is hiding information and why.

Purely speculation at the moment. I am leaning towards the authorities respecting the privacy of the deceased young man and his grieving family.

I don't put the rose colored glasses on very often but i am operatjng on a gut feeling. I hope i am right and you are wrong. If i am wrong and you Re right i would not be surprised.

Never stopped them before having their smirky laughing face all over a dead farrangs body...its a bit wierd this 1...not having any info, but im sure it will all come out in the end..just nice to know he is going home. R.I.P Sam. Believe me its NOT yhe paradise people are searching for.

Has the FCO or UK embassy made a statement? Do we know what information was given to them? People do die and do it in unexpected ways at unexpected times.

• 1 month later...

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/Funeral-held-Sam-Austin-campaign-bring-body-home/story-25777596-detail/story.html

Just an update on this tragic story, still seems very unclear how he died

Sam died on November 13, 2014, after falling from a skytrain bridge in Bangkok. He had moved to Thailand to start a new life there.

Thanks for the link.

As the friend mentions in the article, the circumstances leading up to his fall are unclear, but I don't think it's fair to assume anything untoward in this instance. It could have been a tragic accident, maybe because he wasn't sober, could have been pushed, could have decided to give up (all of which could happen anywhere).

Sad story, whatever the circumstances.

• 1 year later...

The inquest determined  the death to be a suicide. CCTV footage apparently exists showing him jumping from the BTS footbridge.

Then there's this odd tidbit:

Avon Coroners' Court heard how police found blood stained sheets and a knife in the bathroom of the 26-year-old's room.

No further explanation.

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/inquest-hears-8203-cctv-showed-popular-bristol/story-27818851-detail/story.html#bdkdoyE7CqeEPgsO.99

10968774-large.jpg

Edited by Lex Talionis
correct ext link