Does anyone else live cheaply in Thailand?

I wouldnt be seen dead on the baht bus. Why would you want to be stuck in the heat and traffic. I dont even take taxis unless i have to. Its mc taxis to the mrt or bts for me to navigate the city.

When i hang around my condo eat som tum or moo ping kway tial etc im surprised how cheap it can be too. I have no real budget i just try to stick to 2000 baht a day. So at the end of a month ive only spent less than what i make a week overseas. Thats kind of why i live here its cheaper. But you gotta have fun, its not all about surviving its about living too. Cant be grabbing a coffee at the seven and walking to major to charge your phone and use free wifi hotspot nearby. Might as well sell your phone and buy a bulk supply of mama noodles and filter 100L of reverse osmosis water to extend your awesome holiday.

• Like 2

God not another cheap charlie thread .

Surprised you guys waste your valuable money on the electric to power your pc to post continiuosly on this subject.

Give it a rest for at least a month or so

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Am I correct in assuming you think your post is remotely clever. Maybe even an inference you wouldn't stoop this low. Brilliant go post somewhere to actually contribute.

Do you realise how many posts there have been on this subject ?

Jeez , up to all how they wanna live but learn to use the search function at least.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Shame you just missed the 7-11 stamps they stopped about a week ago.

I expect you don't use air-con.

I feel disgusted by people like you who want to take advantage of poor people who are trying to get ahead and have a family to support.

In NYC they would spit in your face if you gave a $2.00 tip and you have now set your meal budget at less than $1.50.

I feel disgusted by people like you who want to take advantage of poor people who are trying to get ahead and have a family to support.

Says the bloke who's parked his colossal, reversing alarm-equipped arse in Thailand so he can bang local totty half his age for a fraction of the price it'd cost him for something twice as rough in Backwater Creek.

Could you BE any more hypocritical?

Could you be more informed?

Says the bloke who's parked his colossal, reversing alarm-equipped arse in Thailand so he can bang local totty half his age for a fraction of the price it'd cost him for something twice as rough in Backwater Creek.

Could you BE any more hypocritical?

Could you be more informed?

What's there to be more informed about, mate?

That's what he does/has done over here; just like a lot of other guys.

Difference is, they're not calling other people out over exploitation

• Like 2

Cheap Backpacker, you say you live here on about 10K baht per month. Does that include a place to live?

What do you do for fun?

I don't live an extravagant life, but it seems that with a budget like that, there would be very little money for anything except maybe meditating at the wat.

(Edited a typo.)

Edited by DivinGuy

Cheap Backpacker, you say you live here on about 10K baht per month. Does that include a place to live?

What do you do for fun?

I don't live an extravagant life, but it seems that with a budget like that, there would be very little money for anything except maybe meditating at the wat.

(Edited a typo.)

You couldn't even afford to walk to the wat out of fear of wearing out your flip-flops.

Totally unrealistic long-term sustainable budget.

It depends where you want to live.

Fan rooms in MaeJo (12Km from central Chiang Mai) are 1,500bht a month (new buildings just up offering free wifi) + 500bht for utils.

Add a bicycle into the mix, about 6,000bht for a second hand brand name bike,

You then have unlimited transport in and around Chiang mai.

I can easily spend 3hrs a day cycling around, great entertainment, great exercise and totally free once you have the bike.

Meals 30-40bht a time, eating at Mall food halls and most of the student dining areas.

It's totally doable.

Not to mention plenty of cute female students to meet in the same apartment block.

12km thats some distance on a pushy, certinaly would be fit. I fear doubling up paying for food with the uni cuties and the bus trip up might throw a spanner in the works. But with so much riding around your life expectancy might take a dive, so i suppose you can still afford a few luxuries:-P

What do you do for fun?

(Edited a typo.)

10000K a month might be enuff for a very simple life 1200 for a room , cook for your self maybe mama or rice with some vege's and pork twice a day that might be 50 baht , if your into gaming or computers but dont have one buy bulk reusable internet hours or hunt for a good wifi phone plan or buy a router.

Take the bus to big c and hunt for bargains oncooking products that could save money eg. Rice cooker ,gas cooker,kettle and buy coffee in bulk .

Use thaifriendly.com free txt every 10 minutes , goto bayoke tower for nice jeans ,shirts and shoes u might get a whole new get up for 500 baht do that once a month and in a year your wardrobe will be full.

Avoid nana plaza ,ksr and other places like this.

Look for work on top of your savings like translating , english camps ,volunteering and acting extras.

Could be fun depending on your outlook.

Edited by Rangsitreppin
  • Like 2

What do you do for fun?

(Edited a typo.)

10k a month?

He is not in Canarysuns league.

Yes but Canary or as I prefer to call him " crazy canary" can rent in pattaya for 2k a month and travels around on trains for 10 baht. I can't find em. I give my gf 30k a month but all the TV call me a sexpat. Love it. Keep telling me to find a genuine Thai chick. Are they delusional.

Edited by jacksam

@OP

Buy a bicycle, even cheaper than the bus, unlimited routes and runs 24/7.

you haven't factored additional polluted air intake from all that exertion and the cost of the resultant health issues not to mention collisions with the asphalt

in bkk i take the buses, free, not free, and airconditioned which ever is going the right way first. skytrain if i have to venture through siam parking lot or skhumvit parking lot.

Edited by heionus heretic

Hilarious!

A community of foreigners - most of whom more or less moved here to enable their incomes to stretch further - are effectively imposing a de facto limit on how cheap a Charlie can be.

No idea really CH, but 10k a month is pretty cheap. A meal out in a lot of cases.

• Like 1

Looks like Canarysun has some real competition in being The Cheapest of The Charlie's.

LOL.

I don't know why I'm so cheap, I think it comes down to the fact that when you don't have a job or money coming in you have to make what you have last. Even though I would be a multimillionaire in Baht, It is still a fixed income.

The guys who have pensions and fixed incomes are in a much better position to spend, jeez, they don't have to make say 5 million baht last a lifetime. If you're on some kind of pension/retirement then you really wouldn't understand about having to make your money last.

I'm as cheap as they come, but not so cheap with everything. I have a note 3 cell phone for example. I usually try to buy high quality products, but that is being frugal because high quality products will outlast a lot of cheap quality products so you save in the long run.

I have 100000 baht to last a life time and 28 years old .

I think op can splurge on the medium sized slurpees .

Are you for real? 100,000 baht, you'll eventually have to go home.

I think I live on around $300 a month here, which includes housing. I would say you need at least $100 a month for food/expenses.

This can all be brought down hugely if you rent long term and possibly prepare your own food.

I've met the type. They think they can bring a small chunk of cash and live off it forever. Sorry kids, no can do. This one doofus French guy thought he'd live off his 250,000 baht and top it up off bar work (this was on Koh Tao). I returned to the island months later and he'd sure changed his tune and was leaving, spent his money, border-runs etc.

Hilarious!

A community of foreigners - most of whom more or less moved here to enable their incomes to stretch further - are effectively imposing a de facto limit on how cheap a Charlie can be.

No idea really CH, but 10k a month is pretty cheap. A meal out in a lot of cases.

10k is cheap charlies ville. Don't think you can play that dance in Bangkok anymore. I find if you head the provinces the place can get to be very <deleted> boring indeed. I traveled all around the countryside and found the (Thai) cities more fun and interesting.

• Like 2

Hilarious!

10k is cheap charlies ville. Don't think you can play that dance in Bangkok anymore. I find if you head the provinces the place can get to be very <deleted> boring indeed. I traveled all around the countryside and found the (Thai) cities more fun and interesting.

Yeah, I especially liked the NE provinces, where you can eat Tom Yam Bone, Mussaman chicken skin or Pad kapoaw chicken feet.

• Like 1

I understand utterly where you are coming from but why make an issue of this?

My main point to you would be that seeing as comfort and even luxury are very affordable here;

Is depriving yourself of creature comforts really worth it?

I don't know your personal circumstances but I'd say: 'Live a little; be good to yourself''

Surely even on a modest pensioner's income or lowly TEFL salary you could afford the odd decent meal in a nice restaurant where the main garnish isn't exhaust fumes?

I hope this thread doesn't develop into one of those "I live on a billion Baht a month' willy-waving threads though....

• Like 2