90-day Reporting And The Elderly And Infirm

Has anyone experienced personally or known what happens when elderly retired foreigners subject to the 90-day reporting requirement become too infirm to report personally to their local immigration office? I am not talking about those temporarily hospital/house bound due to injury or illness but those that are so old/infirm that they legitimately cannot leave their homes/beds.

Could they send a proxy person to register for them or would the immigration office, for an appropriate gratuity, send an officer out to accept the notification at the person's residence. With all the elderly retired folks in the Kingdom, this issue must have come up before and often.

Just curious because I may have this experience soon with a family member residing in the Kingdom.

You don't have to be old and infirm to have someone else do your 90 day reports. They can even be mailed in. If getting to the age where yearly visit is not possible believe you can make arrangements for that to be done by someone else, such as a lawyer, but this delegation should be done in person the first time but I am sure arrangements could be made (such as doctors certificate) if person is just not able.

I don't think I have ever done a 90-day report in person. I live in Khon Kaen and report to Nong Khai by post.

Send the following:

1. A completed form TM47

2. A copy of your passport page showing your photo

3. A copy of your passport page showing your latest entry stamp to the Kingdom. I ensure the entry card in opened on that page too.

4. The acknowledgement slip from your previous report 90 days ago, assuming that this is not your first report since entering the Kingdom.

5. A self-addressed stamped envelope. 3 baht stamp is enough. On the back you can put the Imiigration office address as the sender.

Put all of them in a larger envelope and address it to your immigration office. On the back of the envelope put your address as the sender. The Thai PO likes that.

Send the envelope by EMS. Cost about 32 baht but is much safer.

Immigration will cut the bottom off the form you sent them and will write the date and time they received the form plus the due date of the next report 90 days hence and then send it back to you in the envelope you provided. That's the slip you send to them next time. They will also send a blank form TM47 for use next time.

If you report a few days early it's safer, but in my experience they will not return the slip in your envelope until after the due date, but that might be peculiar to Nong Khai. So don't panic if it isn't turned round in a couple of days.

I hope this of help,

I used to have a work permit before and missed one reporting. Then the visa lady at my workplace just ripped out the form to report and I never ended up reporting again and never had any problem. Why did I not get caught? Do they not check on it very much? Another friend who has had a work permit for 10 years in Thailand and gets it renewed every year of course has never reported the 90-day thing either. He said he'd never even heard of it? Why not? What's the deal?

For those too infirmed I believe it is possible to renew visa's etc without going to immigration BUT only if you do so before it expires. If the visa has run out then you have to go in person even if on a bed on the back of a pickup.