Japanese man shaming Suvarnabhumi in Thai goes viral

webfact

When I queue at immigration I get the feeling the immigration officers are doing me a big favor.

I have never ever seen a smile on any of their faces.

They are grossly understaffed.

The regime cannot and will not accept constructive criticism.

And as for the Taxi-drivers ........... they will never change their ways.

We know and must remember "This Is Thailand"

ever tried entering the US?

• Like 1

Just compare with SIN, KUL or HKG...

Where is the winner? BKK? Not a chance!

Too few and stinky toilets, personell can't speak english, too crowded at the check-inn, not enough smoking area's, no "good day sir" or smile, very long qeueu's, crappy dirty taxi's and driversmentality, restaurants can't speak english, restaurants can't speak english, no free wifi, too few seats for the A380 plane's, and airline groundstaff can't speak english facepalm.gif

"Too few and stinky toilets".
Plenty of toilets and I've never come across a "stinky" one.

"personell can't speak english".
People that travellers need do speak enough English. Don't you speak Thai?

"too crowded at the check-inn"
Check in earlier.

"not enough smoking area's".
That only be a good thing, but who really cares and is it that important?

" very long qeueu's".
Is there one airport anywhere that doesn't have queues?

"crappy dirty taxi's and driversmentality".
Definitely not the responsibility of the airport.

"restaurants can't speak english".
The airport doesn't run the restaurants? This is not an English speaking country, you know.

"no free wifi".
It's an airport, do your internet stuff before or after you get there, or use your phone for contact.

"too few seats for the A380 plane's".
Which was there first, the airport or the A380s?

"airline groundstaff can't speak english".
All the staff speak enough English to do their job.

So, are you agreeing that airport does kinda suck? Anyone who flies in the region knows what a good airport is and what facilities and services are valued by a traveler.

OB

Just compare with SIN, KUL or HKG...

Where is the winner? BKK? Not a chance!

BTW, some foreigners try to look more thai than Thais... so funny clap2.gif

Too few and stinky toilets, personell can't speak english, too crowded at the check-inn, not enough smoking area's, no "good day sir" or smile, very long qeueu's, crappy dirty taxi's and driversmentality, restaurants can't speak english, restaurants can't speak english, no free wifi, too few seats for the A380 plane's, and airline groundstaff can't speak english facepalm.gif

Check in earlier.

" very long qeueu's".

The airport doesn't run the restaurants? This is not an English speaking country, you know.

"no free wifi".
It's an airport, do your internet stuff before or after you get there, or use your phone for contact.

So, are you agreeing that airport does kinda suck? Anyone who flies in the region knows what a good airport is and what facilities and services are valued by a traveler.

OB
Edited by Fab5BKK

Check in earlier.

" very long qeueu's".

"no free wifi".

Thanks to corruption Survarnabhumi is what it is.

When I first came to Thailand many years ago, I actually thought the Thai government was in on the taxi scam because I thought how could a government knowingly allow scams like this to happen? But after a while and more travelling, I realized that taxi corruption and scams is universal in just about every country. Try going to Indonesia and the first thing that you are told by just about anyone there is not to take any taxi except ones from "blue bird" or something like that, it's like the whole country there knows what horrible scams they are but yet they do nothing about it.

They are a disgrace. I remember my first time to Thailand in 2000 when the International Airport was Don Muang. I was shocked at how counter girls combed their hair and picked their noses in front of passengers. At the time, I thought it was all just "different" and didn't want to judge too harshly. I was on holiday, after all. But with each trip here I am reminded of taking the path of least resistance and deal with as little of the Thai service people as possible. I take great comfort flying by them as they try to sucker me into vans or cars promising good prices.

I remember having a bit of a beard after being in the Middle East working. Dollars to donuts this made me the target for some wimp to haul me over to a stall and check my luggage again. And I had cleared customs! I was in the area supposedly free from any more checks. What a nice welcome. Eff you, very much.

Construction in the airport has made getting out of the country no more fun than getting in. And don't get me started on the buffoons who stamp and seal your fate with wrong information at immigration. Twice I've been stamped incorrectly and it was me who paid dearly for their mistakes. It doesn't stop at Suvanabumi, either. Go to any Thai government agency like that crap-hole Chaeng Wattana and test your patience with officials in brown who make up for their stupidity with arrogance.

I travel internationally a lot and I don't believe the airport in Thailand is any different.

As a main point of entry , logically one would expect crowds, long lines and surly staff.

If you see 1000+ folks in your line and know you can't get off work early ....trying to use the word stay professional is quite hard ...I work in hospitality industry and its hard to keep the smile up for 10 hours at all sorts

when I fly into Thailand ...I distinctly dropped my efficient mindset I get on Incheon, Singapore or HK...this is Thailand and the honest observation is the further I get from the city ....the more thainess I experience

This is probably why flying into chiangmai or one of the smaller airports have always been my preference when logistically possible

Granted the taxis in Japan are very very hard to beat in comparison once you have used them as I have not seen cleaner taxis than them all over the world ...the dirtiest taxis I have seen are on France and USA

As for the taxi scams , take a bit of effort and learn some Thai ...every time I have got out of the airport ....speaking thai and paying the tolls yourself means I have always paid the meter price , rounding it up at the end of the journey is a nice touch plus the 50 baht extra ...so if the fare is 279 ....I always give 350

Baht

Edited by LawrenceChee

Nothing new here....move along please.

Is this some sort of figure of speech, that means something or implies something? Why would we need to move along, presumably to something else. Seems like a valid topic to me. As far as airport taxis go, no thanks, I'd rather wait for a bus. Unfortunately, last trip, the next bus was full (wonder why, must be a lot of other people who'd rather take a bus even though they can afford international trips). So, I sat and waited for the bus after that one. Kind of sucked.

With Singapore and Hong Kong as potential models, Thailand ended up with the disaster that is BKK....very poor design, not passenger friendly, hopelessly slow both in respect of passenger movement and baggage services, a public transport link that is farcical, a taxi system notorious for its rip-offs as well as violence against passengers. It derives the same income, or close to it, as Singapore and Hong Kong but provides an infinitely inferior experience....more akin to Jakarts or Manila.

Sure, it wouldn't really matter were it not for the economy's reliance on tourism. Woeful.

Put Kuala Lumpur also in the list of good airports.

Thailand is just far behind the rest. Even the watertaps don't work at Suvarnabhumi

I take it this guy has not been to many airports. While there should be no excuse for having registered taxi's ripping people off or anybody being ripped off if they have read about or been through the airport ... I really don't see much difference between BKK and other airports close to its size. Takes me longer to get into and out of most US airports even though I am a citizen. Traffic is rarely a problem getting in and out, lots of food, free wifi,quick immigration and security lines. Sometimes can be a haul to your terminal but they got electric walkways and still faster than taking trams or buses. I know of know airport that is a pleasant experiences and never have such expectations an airport is anything but an airport. Okay if had to change one thing I wished they had toilets like many of them at Narita (and terminal 21) but then again I go to the airport to leave or arrive and not take a dump and coming in after a long flight just about any toilet will beat those on a plane.

What makes a good airport in my mind is how fast you can get in or out and BKK is consistently one of the best for international flights imo compared with most airports that handle as many passengers .... not the best but one of them.

• Like 1

The airport be blown up. It is an eyesore and definately not user friendly. It is totally outdated bulldoze it and build a new modern one where the planes actually dock and you don't have to catch a bus for 10 km to your plane then walk up a ladder.

Edited by chooka
  • Like 1

In 2012 BKK was the 14th largest airport by number of passengers but now is about the 23rd since DM started consistently handling flights again ... another airport you can complain about as it is incredibly old but another one I can easily get in and out except for the sometimes long taxi queue but the street is very close and can save 50 baht and time if you can make the short walk.

The World's Top Airports

2012 ..... #25 BKK

2013 ..... #38 BKK

2014 .... #48 BKK

http://www.worldairportawards.com/Awards/world_airport_rating_2012.html

Although a lot less passengers and much quicker immigration / customs lines seems like either more complaining type folks coming through or there are issues that have arose since the number of passengers have decreased.

Over 400 Airports compared each year and the criteria surveyed is located at http://www.worldairportawards.com/Awards/awards_methodology.html

Despite its slipping in the ranking BKK has rated around the top 6% through 12% best airports in the world the last 3 years. Respectable numbers and a far cry from being awful once we accept airports in general are not enjoyable places.

Edited by JohnThailandJohn
  • Like 1

Come on, manning each and every counter should be doable.

We had a taxi driver who didn't know an industrial zone nearby... facepalm.gif We were on the phone and he kept circling...

a friend got into a rogue taxi with the meter turned off. I got the number and complained. What happened? Exactly, nothing, nada. And the driver was an elderly "dwarf". Hewascaught on video by condoas well. But they simply don't care. wai.gif

• Like 1

Now this subject is also on the Thai TV-news. The army has to check EVERY taxi if they will use the metre thumbsup.gif

What was the airport manager doing all those years since he didn't notice it? whistling.gif Guess it's time to replace him/her for a farang manager who just does what he is paid for.

And when will the Thai finally see that the chinese tourists are totally messing up Don Muang airport? They have such bad manners that it will lead to fistfights soon.

My pregnant wife fainted in the immigration queues during a 6:00 am international domestic transfer. I literally had to fight my way through the chaotic mess to get her out of the line an put her in a chair. No one of the staff helped us. Suvarnabhumi is a disgrace. Let me not begin about Thai Airways check inn staff........

• Like 2

It's not perfect but I,ve never had any problems with the airport, old one or the new one, I would say I prefer swampi to the uk airports back home.

Why try and compare Thai standards to your own countries standards, we are all different.

If you don't like it then don't come again, simple...........

Edited by MRGTINGTONG
  • Like 1

It's not perfect but I,ve never had any problems with the airport, old one or the new one, I would say I prefer swampi to the uk airports back home.

Why try and compare Thai standards to your own countries standards, we are all different.

Mind you, The UK has about the worst airports of whole Europe.

Suvarnabhumi is a new airport, a prestige project and it should have become the hub of Asia.

Hongkong, KLIA, Changi are much much better and it's not only the airport but especially the personell who are trained to do their jobs properly.

An international airport where nobody speaks english......Thailand only! clap2.gif

If you don't like it then don't come again, simple...........

When living in a glass house ...................

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/business/AOT-wants-Suvarnabhumi-to-be-No-1-among-large-airp-30215849.html

Good on him, tell it how it is.

It is as King Power designed this airport. Domestic fully serviced by moving walkways and no Duty free. International a 2km. hike through shops controlled by King Power and No moving walkways. A disgrace !

They don't understand the concept of duty free, it's supposed to be cheaper, but at Suvanabhumi goods are more expensive than in town. It also looks shabby compared to Heathrow's new terminal 2, which is a smooth, efficient and stress free experience, and I bought a pair of Oakleys at two thirds of the retail price.

50 Baht in the Chiang Rai night market. The lady said they were " gin gin"!