work in Myanmar

fry30

Hi everyone,

I got an offer to work in Myanmar for 3000 dollars + 1500 dollars allowance for accommodation.

I don't understand well their tax system but it seems that the first 6 months there is 35% tax then around 25%, anyone knows about this?

Also the accommodation are very expensive, any advice about the renting in Yangon would be appreciated.

I have my wife and soon baby here in Thailand, so the purpose is to go there alone, make and save a maximum of money.

I have two friends living there

one teaches at the us international school , makes $3,200/month, gets free accommodations and saves $$/

his Thai wife is with him

the other works for Carlsberg beer( setting up anew Brewery)

they have 2 kids in the international school ( paid by company)

their 4 bedroom house is $6,500/month!

$1,500 might cover a nice room with a kitchen ( might). There is a real shortage of accommodations i am told

• Like 1

Your income tax rate is 25% as a resident in Myanmar. It is 35% if you are not resident in Myanmar. Resident is defined as where you spend most of your time during the year, so if you are living in Myanmar for more than 180 days you will fall into the 25% tax bracket.

$1500 housing allowance should get you decent accommodation in relative terms. The rental market in Yangon is tricky. A good real estate agent can make a difference.

$3000 per month should allow you to save substantially because your rent is covered through the allowance, unless you need to supplement your rent with a contribution from your income. Even so you should have very respectable disposable income at the end of each month.

first trip was back in 1988 when a bottle of JW and a carton of Cigs would help ya for the 7 days u were allowed to stay

did

Rangoon, Mandalay

last year went back twice an booked for March

Mandalay and points east/north

still a fantastic place an kind /warm/friendly people

You will do just fine :-)

been there twice last year an heading up in March;

I find Mandalay very nice, there some very good restaurants where a good Burmese meal will cost u $4-5

there is a very nice restaurant on the waterfront near where the ferry boats leave from that is very popular but a bit more but great for a beer or two, Many locals around

I mostly use Mandalay as a base before heading out.

Make sure to go see Zach a really nice American and been there for awhille

http://www.mandalaymotorbike.com/

If u care to, drop me a pm, would love to meet ya when i go up in March

Sounds nice, thanks for the advices and invitation, let's see what happen, I don't know yet if I will fit to this new position.

I'm leaving in 3 days and I'm wondering if there is any requirement for the visa, my company didn't mention anything about this so I guessed it's like for Thailand and I can get a visa exemption on arrival but my google checking didn't confirm that.

look at post 14 i wrote

and ur link

check the link

You need to provide the following documents to apply for a Business Visa :

• 2 passport photos.
  • An invitation letter from a local Myanmar registered company that is written on an official company letterhead inviting you to Myanmar to do business*
  • A guarantor from the local Myanmar registered company that is inviting you to visit them. The guarantor should be the MD or Owner of the company as the Visa Section will ask to see a copy of the company registration certificate which only the owner or MD possesses. In some cases they will call the telephone number of the Myanmar company that is your guarantor and ask to speak to the MD of the company just to verify that your invitation letter is authentic.#
  • A letter from your employer, written on your company’s letterhead – addressed to the Visa Section of the Myanmar Embassy stating the purpose of your business trip to Myanmar.
  • Your business card.
  • Duly filled business visa application form.
Edited by phuketrichard