Slow route from Udon to CM

wondercul

Sure; you can do two things: rent a car (from a company offering a one-way rental with drop-off in Chiang Mai), which will allow you to more easily visit some more of the mountains and forests along the way (Passing through Loei and Petchabun province; some seriously remote jungle areas there).

But if you take buses then that means sticking more to cities along the way as your main places to stay overnight and connect.

For example: Udon -> Khon Kaen -> Phitsanulok -> Sukhothai (lots to see there) -> Phrae -> Chiang Mai.

You could cut out Khon Kaen and Phrae if you like. But there will be buses between all of the above.

Then just google some sights in all of those places.

You could also take the train for the bit from Phitsanulok to Chiang Mai, or Phrae (well, Den Chai, which is close-ish) to Chiang Mai; quite scenic.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai
  • Like 1

Thank you so much. Can you suggest any affordable guest houses / hotels in any of those towns, or are there likely to be several ?

Alternatively, I can just look online I guess... most places are on the internet these days right.

Here in Udon Thani I noticed the public transport is not the main means of transport for normal Thais - they tend to have their own motorbike. This makes me think I will need to rent one in any town I visit if I want to get about properly, since the tuktuks are bad value.

We make the trip every 2 or 3 months, in our car, and prefer the smaller roads that lead to Phrae, Uttaradit, and then Loei.

Most of the time, we stop and stay here.

http://www.dnp.go.th/parkreserve/asp/style1/default.asp?npid=33&lg=2

You take a left in the middle of the town, by the 7 Eleven, and a small road leads up to the Park Entrance. Highest point in Loei. Several hotels/cozy cottages on that road for 500 baht or more. Quite scenic..and friendly. You won't want to be walking to the top of the mountain...but a road will get you pretty close, and then there are some tuk tuks to bring you the rest of the way. Stunning views, quiet area. There is a Light display, and market nearby...plenty of Thai restaurants. I recommend the one with the Old English double decker Bus....last resort on the right...for food and a drink just about sunset (main highway). This is on the way to Udon. Also a large reservoir just 15 minutes before Mueang Loei. You will need a vehicle for that too. Some cabins on a lake...restaurants etc. All quiet, relaxing stuff.

Loei is part of Isaan...all the stuff you hear about "nothing in isaan", will get washed away. One of the prettier provinces in Thailand, actually. And the people are some of the friendliest I have met.

Edited by slipperylobster

OP, if you can afford it rent a car from Avis at the Udon Airport and return it at the Chiang Mai Airport. Take your time and take the route through Loei if you can.

I would never rent a car from a Thai company.

I wandered all over Isaan in an Avis car one April not long ago and never had a problem finding a place to stay or eat. I just stayed aware of when I would be reaching larger towns.

It was such a good time I plan to do it again.