Living In Hua Hin Or Similar

wamberal

My Thai wife and I will, sooner or later, return to Thailand to live. She is a few years younger than me, she has three younger sisters, none of whom is married, or ever looks like getting married. I lived in Thailand for almost 4 years in the 80's, and also lived in Hong Kong for 10 years, so the expatriate life in general, and Thai culture in particular, are no big problem. We are fairly well off financially. I have a feeling that we should start looking around seriously in the next couple of years, at where and how we might live. I think a golf-course development would be the thing, with good security, and a pool and gym available etc. I used to quite like Hua Hin, and wouldn't mind being there -- it had a nice feel to it. But it might be wise to be closer to Bangkok for medical back-up, shopping, church and the like (we are active members of the Uniting Church here in Australia, and would like to be involved in something similar in Thailand). We have thought of maybe living near Nakhorn Nayok so that we could do some work at the Chaiyapruk Foundation. Any thoughts that will start us in the right direction would be greatly appreciated. My wife's family live near Samut Sakon, by the way, and it would be nice to be near them, but I don't think there are any housing options suitable for us near them.

The Hua Hin - BKK drive is a shocker and if regular visits needed to BKK i would say no to Hua Hin. I believe Hospitals also a bit thin on the ground. The new road in 2008 (?) will improve it if it happens but meantime Pattaya might be better if you anticipate sophisticated hospital needs.

I agree with Mavericks posting.

Better check out Pattaya/Jomtien - Easy to enter Bangkok from there, many daily connections....and everything there what you need.....

HuaHin is a rather small place, good medical treatment is difficult to find, not really fully developed, so you cannot call this a city. Condominiums - golfclubs and so on between Cha-Am and Hua Hin are very dispersed.... You need preferably drive your own car there. Checking for a condominium, I found Hua Hin rather expensive....about sea water and beaches....I have seen better ones...

Trip into Bangkok takes a while, expect lot of traffic and difficult road especially during rain after passing Samut Songkhram.....Hua Hin is nice for vacation anywhere between Cha-Am and Pran-Buri, but I think, not really good for a long term stay.

Johann

We are also returning to my wife's home town of Samutsakorn within the year.

We are building a 40 room studio apartment building near the Cal Comp factory right off the main road. We my and her sister saw some nice apartments around the are that were very reasonable.

We would stay with my wifes mom, who has a large house, right next to where we're building until we build our own house. nfortunately it is not possible at this time. I will spare you the details.

I don't want to live in Samutsalorn very long. We have property on the beach at Sattahip. That's were I would like to settle.

Keep in touch, so there will be two farangs in Samutsakorn... :o

Many thanks for the responses. I must say that I had not thought of Pattaya, I remember it from the good old, bad old days as being a slightly sleazy place that was fun for a dirty weekend, but that was about it. I suspect my wife might have a similar feeling about it. Has it changed dramatically over the last few years? Incidentally, my health is good, but it just seems wise at my age (62) to be within striking distance of good medical and dental services.

To Pepe, I will certainly remained interested in these pages from now on, so I look forward catching up when you are living in Samut Sakon. Good sea-food, I know that much.

Pattaya/Jomtien area changed totally from what you have maybe still in mind.

It is up to you there, what you are looking for, if you are looking for peace, you will find peace and silence.

When you are looking for wild nights, you will find amusements around the clock and plenty of bar-girls....

If you are looking for de-luxe service you will find it, and if you look for the cheapest possible life still acceptable by European standards, you will also find it.

Up to you....Just everything available.....

The area is remarkable wide now, with all inside, what you as foreigner might expect.... good medical treatment, very good supermarkets (24h open), excellent restaurants....very good motorway into Bangkok, and new Bangkok airport will be between Chonburi and Bangkok, making it very easy from Pattaya for international departure.

My last drive from Bangkok near Bangkapi to Jomtien last year was only 1 hour and 15 minutes, and I was not even driving really fast.

Take a look yourself, maybe for a week or two weeks and check all out, from Northern Naklua to Southern Jomtien....

Johann

Johans spot on - I avoided Pattaya for 3 years due to its reputation but was surprised at the area when i visited a few weeks back and the beaches along Sunset Park (15kms from central P) are delightful and dare i say it prettier than Hua Hin beach which is very busy and over rated. Pattaya/Jomtien central i know have crime problems and i hear sewage issues (beach dirty?) but sounds like u could be 20 mins away where its cleaner and thats close enough for hospital emergencies etc. HH has hospitals but they seem quite small.