Home automation / smart homes

Cloggie

Hello,

I look for people who do want to share with me their experience with home automation / smart homes in Thailand.

I have seen beautiful villa's, 5 - 6 bedrooms, swimming pools, jacuzzi, bars, movie theaters etc etc but I have never seen any home automation at all, nothing.

They have an air condition, with their Android / iPad they can access their CCTV system, they can open their gate, maybe a video phone so they can see who is at the gate / front door but that's about it.

All 'stand alone' systems, not connected to each other, can't access it over internet.

Just wondering....

I design and install HA in China. My systems do much more that Creston, integrating whole house audio& video, security, CCTV, theater, lights, automation. I'm building 2 villas in SW China now.

After people view my property and ask me how much, I tell them if they ask the price then they probably can't afford it.

That being said, my systems cost 30% of what a Creston system runs.

The future is here...now.

Most sensors are wireless (Z-Wave) and if you attach a UPS on the main controller of your home automation system, it should work for a while.

Electricity is always and will always be a problem in Thailand - just one thing you have to live with.

Worked at a resort and we had power failures a few times a month sometimes for more than hours - just had to shutdown all computer systems and servers as UPS was running our of power.

Don't tell me 'buy a generator' - company didn't want to spend money on that :-)

My wife and I met a woman in Bangkok about a month ago who works for company called ihomes. She seemed to think she could hook everything up together. Video entry system, lighting control, CCTV, electric blinds etc. I sent her my house plans with electrical set up about 2 weeks ago. Still waiting for the quote......... Anybody out there have any dealings with this company?

Any advice/info appreciated.

Cheers

This is slightly off topic but does anyone know about automated irrigation systems for farms? We have a very long and wide piece of land and it's a pain to keep having to turn spigots on and off, primarily due to low pressure and different types of produce grown. Thanks.

Well for one, compare the price if these systems to the cost of building... it's very hard to find a client that is willing to double, or more, the price of their house just so they can open and close their curtains, control AC, and switch lights on/off from a touchscreen rather than conventional switches ;)

in late '90, I was in a concept team for a 'connected home' project. of course there were teams of engineers and programmers and helped everything came true in the lab conditions.

late '20, I 'invested' and installed an Italian branded home automation system here, just for low level lighting control system, from wiring the house, to wall and remote controls, to communication server . . . the system was about 10% the price of the house.

today, I am still using this system with bits and pieces not functioning well. NO ONE ELSE able to fix a simple electric malfunction. or, to replace a LCD touch panel on the wall, will cost the price of 2 iPhone 5. hmm . . . does this make sense ?

I could make control to the aircon if I wish, but be aware the interface unit is about the price of the aircon; oh . . . only specific type of aircon system could be remotely controlled. same logic on controlling the door gate motor as well !

your choice ;-)

• 4 weeks later...

I would guess that a small 'Smart Home System" would cost about THB 150 - 200.000 which I consider is not a lot of money if you talk about villas that cost THB 20.000.000 or more, it is only 1% and for that you will get a lot of luxury.

I have a smart home system that allows me to be able to operate any electrical device in the house with just one phone call, works great too unless of course she has gone to the shops or something.....

Edited by Don Mega
  • Like 1

It can do, but will take a few phonecalls to awake the system from sleep mode.

cost wise my Home Automation System is combined with Missus, to work out actual costs is difficult but I believe cheaper in the long run vs operating 2 independent systems.

• Like 1

cost wise my Home Automation System is combined with Missus, to work out actual costs is difficult but I believe cheaper in the long run vs operating 2 independent systems.

Does it work in fully automatic as well as semi automatic mode?

Is it reliable? what about upgrades and spares?biggrin.pngbiggrin.png

• Like 1

Does it work in fully automatic as well as semi automatic mode?

Is it reliable? what about upgrades and spares?biggrin.pngbiggrin.png

to be honest it has been a bit temperamental over the years. It does not come with spare parts but the mention of an upgrade usually sorts it for a few months.

• Like 1

I would guess that a small 'Smart Home System" would cost about THB 150 - 200.000 which I consider is not a lot of money if you talk about villas that cost THB 20.000.000 or more, it is only 1% and for that you will get a lot of luxury.

The most expensive cost of building in TH ever was 25,000/sqm - most "high end" luxury builds end up around 15-20K/sqm. Do the math on those 20M Baht villas to see how much is the house, and how much is the tiny little plot of land they're on / profit / commission wink.png

Edited by IMHO

1% on home automation on a 20 million villa, seems to be too thin. consider the villas is not a compact small one, you may need more than 1% budget just for controlling light points.

there are different level of automation, lighting control comes first, then security, then air conditioning, then audio visual, then house infrastructure systems ( gates, shutters, pool ). if you want to consolidate all devices under one control system, the budget will be exponential up.

I am not in the technical team of developing home automation anymore. if you want to catch an user experience ( mine was 10% of the house ), PM me.