Thai police to hold reform workshop at end of 2015

webfact

National police to hold reform workshop at end of 2015

PNSOC580211001020101.jpg

BANGKOK, 12 February 2015 (NNT) – The national police bureau is expected to hold a workshop on reform later this year.

Spokesman of the Royal Thai Police Lt. Prawut Thavornsiri said that a major workshop to discuss the reform of Thailand’s police structure would take place sometime later in the year.

Before the date is confirmed and the event is really on, opinions from all related groups who have sound knowledge and understanding about the operations of the police force will be collected.

All collected opinions will be compiled and presented to the National Reform Council later, Mr. Prawut said.

He added that the meeting on the preparation of the workshop agreed that the planned reform should lead to a political-interference-free environment for the police, particularly when it comes to the transfers of senior officers.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-02-12 footer_n.gif

Why not NOW? They already know they're the most distrusted public officials in Thailand - and they know why, also.

First - start paying officers a decent wage so bribery and corruption is not tolerated and enforce the rule - both ways.

Looks like the reforms will be structural – just to ensure that police are controlled by bureaucrats instead of politicians. This will stop politicians from having their own police force – a good thing – but does nothing to address the real corruption problem. It should go the other way. Clean up the complete corruption of the force and then they cannot easily be bought by politicians.

Also, the constitution will be finished before this workshop even occurs.

The entire reform process is centred on keeping control away from Thaksin, not fixing the endemic problems. That is why reforms will fail – because the end result is not to fix the problems, just to keep control.

Edited by draftvader
Removal of formatting

RTP to reform themselves.

facepalm.gif

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Doesn't cross anyone's mind to have it done by an independent civilian commission?

Naaa, just a new gang consolidating their power.

I'll say it again, hey Pol. Gen. Somyot, how did you accumulate your enormous wealth?

Edited by iReason
  • Like 1

Why end of the year? So that the parasites can fill up their coffers before calling it a day? And seriously, what reform? Cadet pays to get into the force, pays to buy his own sidearm, pays to get promoted... corruption is at the core and the backbone of the Thai police farce force and an insult to anyone's intelligence. Unless the whole corrupt practice changes, any reform is but just another farce.

Quote:
Before the date is confirmed and the event is really on, opinions from all related groups who have sound knowledge and understanding about the operations of the police force will be collected.

That is the real problem there as nobody has a sound knowledge of operations....

I do however know, that riding a motorbike against traffic is illegal.

I know that forming 3 lanes in a single lane is illegal...

I know that accepting cash to avoid a ticket is illegal....

And so on... And thats just the very basics that the RTP seem to "not know" and need to hold a workshop about...

Why dont the RTP just get the Police Handbook out and use that as guidelines?

RTP to reform themselves.

facepalm.gif

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Doesn't cross anyone's mind to have it done by an independent civilian commission?

Naaa, just a new gang consolidating their power.

I'll say it again, hey Pol. Gen. Somyot, how did you accumulate your enormous wealth?

If you are really interested in why many of the army and police generals are wealthy, I can shed some light on it for you.

Many of the wealthy families send one son to the army academy, another son to the police academy and the rest are trained to run the family businesses. This ensures that not only does the family have wealth but it has power also.

Very few reach the rank of General without having a wealthy family.

The one General that I did know gained a moderate amount of wealth by buying and renting out office buildings on the outskirts of bangkok. He had a pretty good eye for where to buy and/or maybe he had some contacts that let him know what was going to be built a few years down the road.

In any case he was poor when he joined the military. Gained a fairly high rank and english skills from working with the american army during and after the vietnam war.

Since he was not from a wealthy family the highest rank he could attain was a 1 star but if his kids would have went into the military I am sure they would have gained rank fairly rapidly because of their fathers contacts and I am sure they would have had the possibility to gain a higher rank than he did.

I know that he was not in a position to gain wealth from kickbacks.

Having said all of that I do know that both the police and the army gain money from kickbacks but it isn't necessarily the source of most of their wealth. Like I said before many are from wealthy families in search of power for their family.