Switching from 3BB to True - Pattaya area

DMC1

I have been offered the 30/3 (฿799) True package recently. I am currently on 3BB for past 5 years (฿590 - 10mb).

I have had hardly any issues with 3BB and was wondering if anyone else has enquired with 3BB whether they could match the True package or risk losing customers? Is it worth the effort or just switch to True?

Thanks.....

Qiote sure: what you had in the past five years was a DSL connection (copper cable).

30/3 will require a fibre optic cable.

A complete new installation, no simple "switch over".

Not 100% sure on that but True say there is no connection/installation charge for whatever it is. I know this promo has been going for a while but the True guy at Big C extra pulled me to one side to try and sell it to me. ฿799 per month for 12 months and then it drops down to 18mb for same price.

Dropping speed after 12 months? Steer clear!

In 12 months everyone will be offering 50Mb for the same price they charge for 30Mb now. So a contract that lowers speeds as time goes by is theft.

Personally I have both true and 3bb in Pattaya. True is a 30Mb docsis cable package with bundled tv and phone for 2k or so. 3bb is 50Mb fibre for 2k something. Both fresh installs about 1 month old.

3bb is much better quality internet, true is ok backup and has free extras.

Docsis cable!

Now I got it.

I know the technique from Europe (misc providers in Germany e.g.) but never stumbled upon the term "docsis".

Of course only available in urban agglomeration (which I am far from tongue.png ).

Edited by KhunBENQ

Quality of True Has declined sharply in the last couple of months. I stream TV from Europe via Slingbox. Early morning Bitrate is around 1800 Kbps. Afternoon/evening it drops to 150/200 or sometimes less. I have complained, but they cannot or will not explain what has happened and they do seem to be able fix it.

I will be looking for another provider

Quality of True Has declined sharply in the last couple of months. I stream TV from Europe via Slingbox. Early morning Bitrate is around 1800 Kbps. Afternoon/evening it drops to 150/200 or sometimes less. I have complained, but they cannot or will not explain what has happened and they do not seem to be able fix it.

I will be looking for another provider

I live just outside Pattaya and I switched from 3BB 3Mbit Premium package to True 30 Mbit offering a few months ago. It was great at first, not running at 30Mbit, but achieving about 15-20Mbit/sec on average. However, in the last couple of weeks it seems to be running at around 9Mbit/sec a lot of the time.

I have not complained about it yet as I was hoping it would improve and I would not have to visit the True office!!

I use the link mainly to watch football on 365Sport and that works fine as the True link is very reliable and the slowness of the link only really shows up when I fast forward on recorded matches - then it can be painfully slow.

Edited by dsfbrit

• 4 months later...

Anyone have any recent observations / recommendations regarding True vs 3BB in Chiang Rai Province? I'm considering switching from 3BB to True. I was told that at B999, you get 30MB + 300 minutes / month + 102 TV channels + 5GB 3G monthly. Installation is free and you pay by the month. This price will not change and the speed will remain at 30MB. You can pay B899 as mentioned, but the speed will go down to 18MB at the end of the 12-month contract.

I do a lot of live streaming through my Raspberry Pi and 3BB fibre optic connection has been excellent, with only a couple of service breaks over the past year. The thing is, if I switched to True, I'd save 200 Baht on the connection, gain Thai TV channels, and I'd save an additional 400B at least on telephone calls and 3G Internet.

True is certainly trying to get more customers with their promotions. They sound too good to be true, no pun intended.

I had this promotion last September, which included and TV and 3G phone. I thought it worked very well, although I was getting a lot of buffering when using XBMC/Kodi etc, or basically anything not in Thailand.

I then upgraded my True Visions Package so that I could watch the six nations rugby. Because I had changed my contract they downgraded my internet to the 18/2. I was not happy, as I was actually paying True more money for my upgraded TV service.

But everything improved with the 18/2, I no longer get any buffering, or very little, and the whole thing works a lot better.

I know it sounds ridiculous but the 18/2 is on a different server to the 30/3 and I think although you get the 30mbps in Thailand, the international Bandwidth is crap.

If I were you I would take the 18/2 which is very good and also cheaper I pay 640.93 per month inc VAT.

Edited by elfpattaya

Thanks for your responses.

elfpattaya, very interesting indeed regarding the international bandwith. Btw, what else do you get included with the 18/2 package? Any TV / talk time / 3G?

Thanks.

Edited by thinkless

I got the True Visions Enjoy Package and Truemove H 3g Package, which was 500mb per month and 100minute free local calls as part of the promotion, plus the 30/3 Internet. I think the price at the time was 799 Baht + vat. for the whole promotion.

It was a very good deal and I didn't realise how bad the international bandwidth was until I upgraded the Truevisions to Sport Family HD Package.

After that my Internet Package was downgraded to 18/2 (which is honestly a lot better) and My Truemove H was changed to 750mb per month + 100 minute free local calls, I don't know why they changed that.

I now pay 499 Baht for Truevisions, 599 Baht for the Internet and 99 baht for the phone. (the phone should be 299 per month so I get 200 Baht discount)

I can't downgrade or cancel any thing until my contract end toward the end of September, when I imagine the fun starts.

Edited by elfpattaya