Visa Run Where To Go From And How Much?

Visa runs out on the 8th of september and need to get it re-newed will be coming from samui or ko phan islands and dont know where it would be easier to do the visa run from Surat or Chumpon? and how much would it cost as well from each of those places roughly? many thanks

From Phangan it is best to go with the nightboat, then minibus to Ranong, boat trip to Burma and back, minibus back then car ferry arriving back on Koh P around 8:30pm. Not sure of the cost, around 1200 baht perhaps.

I don't do this, but many of my friends do and this is the fastest border run (unless you hire a sharetaxi which will cut down on your transportation time).

Best to move this thread to the Samui section as you will get more local response there.

I've been going with an Austrian guy to Malaysia for the last 4 years, he usually takes 2 minibuses, picks you up from the nearest 7-11 at 4 am and you get back about 5pm for 1,450 baht. Don't bother with Ranong unless you want to get back much later, this one is far easier.

He is doing one on 7th September, call Herbert: 018933859

You'll still need to get the minibus back to Surat or Chumpon. Doubt the price would be much lower.

Also, if there are a few of you, a share taxi is much faster and easier, you can get one to pick you up from the pier in Surat Thani, and take you there direct, not sure how much it runs, but if you are interested PM me and I'll get the price and details from my friend.

I always see Julie's visa run bus parked at the Don Sak pier anytime we go tp Samui for a weekend.

I've seen it advetised many places in Samui. A friend of mine used it before, it was convenient and all went well.

I've used Julie's Visa run, No Problems, but reading the Malasian run, by the Austrian, sounds better with the time of return, and hopefully not over a mountain road with Shumacher wan-a-bees like Julias, and the return is about 20:30.

I've used Julie's Visa run, No Problems, but reading the Malasian run, by the Austrian, sounds better

because minibuses are simply faster than the larger busses. any contact julie's?

yep, the mountain run and boattrip to myanmar is nothing for the faint hearted!

yeah, i keep hearing more and more bad stories about the maniacal hopped up drivers of minibuses speeding from surat to ranong. and then that boat trip from ranong into burma. people having to bail out their boats and being stranded in the middle by a storm etc. as they do not provide lifejackets you might be better off going the malaysia route. you can get a longer visa there too if you need it.

Hey Excite,

I normally get my ticket from Travel Solutions then:

Catch minibus on Sunday morning at 07:15 from Nathon opposite ferry pier, the office is called Bamboo Travel.

Minibus will take you all the way to Penang; it is a long trip, take water.

The minibus drops you off at the Swiss Hotel, walk a little bit more and you will come to an office called “Jim’s Place”. Give Jim your passports and fill out a visa application form. He will get your passports back at around midday on Tuesday.

Walk up the end of the street and you will find the Oriental Hotel, rooms there are about 700 Baht per night, there are more around the corner, the Malaysian Hotel and the Continental Hotel, these are around 1,000 Baht per night. Check in for 2 nights.

There is not much to do in Penang, there is a shopping centre called Komtar just 5 minutes walk from central Georgetown there’s a cinema there and another one at Gurney Plaza (about 5 minutes in a cab). Also at Gurney Plaza there is a supermarket at the bottom where you can get some English food items that you cannot in Samui. There are a few bars on the main street, “Soho” which seems to be the most popular, sells different beer and Western food; alcohol is more expensive in Malaysia. Just over the road from the Oriental Hotel, on the same side is a restaurant that looks more like a canteen called the “Mayflower”, this has the best tandoori chicken in Penang, a must try.

On Tuesday, go back to “Jim’s Place” and pick up your passports and buy a bus ticket to Hat Yai, you will be dropped off at the bus station, buy a ticket for the bus back to Samui on Wednesday at 10 am. The big bus is a good option at this stage.

Get a tuk tuk to take you to the “King’s Hotel” Check in for 1 night, ask the tuk tuk driver to pick you up in the morning. There are a few bars nearby, I recommend Post Laser Disc which has live music and cheap food & drink.

Wednesday morning, catch bus back to Samui.

my 2 cents worth.

went with julie's once.

you kinda feel more mortal as you get older.

I was quite scared by the speed, 150kph?

and got off before Hat Yai.

the others sound equally scary.

sadly, one of these has to crash sometime, you can't drive a bus like that forever.

haven't been able to get to Ranong and back independantly in a day myself.

if you got the first 5am ferry i reckon you could.

the minibus from Surat to Ranong takes 3-31/2 hours.

price is 160 baht. leaves a bit irregularly, every 1.5 hours maybe.

I think the last returning minibus is 4pm, obviously too late to make the ferry.

one big bus goes at an early time (not sure of time, never been early enough).

have done the Ranong crossing about 6 times and never had a problem, some heavy rain squalls at times and boat rocking but I never felt in danger, the drivers know what they are doing I reckon.

current prices in Ranong.

Motorbike taxi from bus station to immigration - pier - wait for you - immigration - bus station return is 200 baht. that's about 2 hours in total.

boat for 1 person is 300 baht return.

buy your $5 for 300 baht or just pay 300 baht at Myanmar entry.

problem for Lamai folks is the earliest Songthaew is about 6:15 or later so you might make the 7am ferry or not, so its getting pretty late already before getting off the island.

Excite

My frinds did the VisaRun with 'Herman The German' and said they never been so scared in their entire life. That minibus was 'flying'...

One guy in the bus just couldn't take it and ask him to slow down - He then stopped and kicked the guy out... :D

Therefore I never go with him.

Normally I go with Julie - but a bit on the same thing there regarding the speed, as mentioned earlier.

She must have been a military prior to running a VisaRun business - at least she acts like one. :o

It still must be the by far most comfortable way to do a VisaRun - even though the 'breakfast' and 'lunch' that is included is normally just a tiny, dry, bad tasting sandwich.

A good idéa is to bring some of your own food.

BUT, in your post I got the idea that you were not coming back to Samui/Phangan - IF SO - then I totally agree with "justinnsamui" - with one exception - on your return trip to Bangkok, take a taxi to the ferry terminal and take the ferry from Georgetown to Butterworth.

When in Butterworth, walk to the train station, which is only a two minute walk from the ferry and take the train to Bangkok.

Only one train per day though at 2.20 pm.

If you wanna make the train without staying an extra night in Georgetown - you can pay about 40-60 Ringit(400-600 Bt)extra and you will get the passport no later than 12.00 - which gives you plenty of time to catch the train.

To be sure to get a berth on the train, pre-book at the office found at the ferry terminal.

2:nd Class Sleeping Coach with Aircon, lower bed(much better than upper) is only 1120 Baht.

Have nice trip ! :D

Tony

Contact Number Julie's & Herbert anyone? PM Please!

Where does Julie's Visa Run cross the border? Just curious - Pedang Bazar or Sadao?

I usually take the Bamboo House Minibus - but is slowly coming of age the car... so looking for an alternative.

Edited by Samuian

• 3 weeks later...

Just for the record, 'Julie' seems to be a real b*tch.

When I called her she answered the phone with the rudest hello I have ever heard. Its like I was really bothering her. She didnt even identify herself so I had to ask if I reached the visa run service. She answered extremely rudely as well so I quickly ended my call with her and will look for another way.

Does anybody understand business and how to treat people? Maybe she has been in Thailand too long and picked it up from the Thais.

Just for the record, 'Julie' seems to be a real b*tch.

When I called her she answered the phone with the rudest hello I have ever heard. Its like I was really bothering her. She didnt even identify herself so I had to ask if I reached the visa run service. She answered extremely rudely as well so I quickly ended my call with her and will look for another way.

Does anybody understand business and how to treat people? Maybe she has been in Thailand too long and picked it up from the Thais.

Right on the spot - Thats our Julie... :D

But no matter how rude and unpolite she might be, it is still by far the most comfortable way to do a Visarun.

Still, after what my friends told me about Herbert, a.k.a. "Herman the German, I will never go with him.

Went with Easy Way once and will never go with them again, bad service AND an owner that make Julie appear like a little kitten... :o

Just wish there were more competition on the market..., but until then I will go with Julie - And yes I do bring earplugs and sleeping pills. :D

Tony

I heard bad things about Herman the German too but I decided to go with him anyways.

I dont know what everyone is talking about. He was very nice, very friendly, offered us all advice on the new visa rules, etc. The thai man who was driving was not hauling ass like a racecar driver either. It was quick but not scarry like the ranong visa runs.

I will be going with him again next month. Highly reccomended.

Persoanlly I cant stand rude people on the phone. If you are running a business then have some respect to potential customers. Id rather ride my 100cc honda and do the visa run myself then go with Julie...