BMA launches app to help beat notorious traffic

Thaivisa News

Bangkok:- The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration has launched an app for motorists to beat the notorious traffic congestions in the capital.

Thaweesak Lertpraphan, deputy director of the BMA’s Traffic and Transport Department, said the app, BMA Traffic, is available for both iOS and Android-based smartphones and tablets.

Thaweesak said the app reports traffic conditions on Bangkok streets in real time so motorists can plan their routes to avoid congested roads.

Desktop or notebook computer users can also use the same service by going to www.bmatraffic.com, he added.

The deputy director said the app and website has been developed as part of the project to use CCTV cameras for checking and reporting traffic conditions.

He said the BMA applied various technologies to analyze traffic data in real time so that the app and website could promptly advise Bangkok motorists to avoid the congested roads.

The apps can be downloaded free of charge. It shows Bangkok’s street map. The congested roads will turn red and the roads with good traffic flow turn green. The roads with many vehicles turn yellow.

The app was developed with cooperation from the (Intelligent Traffic Information Center Foundation.

For the iOS version, it is now in Version 1.1.2, which is about 17.2 megabytes in size. Most users have gave it four-star rating.

Many users of the iOS version posted a comment in appreciation of the app.

Recently, the Transport Ministry has unveiled new application software, DLT Check In, designed to address grievances for taxi services. The app is developed by Department of Land Transportation (DLT).

Once the app is activated after the start of a taxi trip, the device will be connected online to the DLT database.

This question was asked by me on the Bangkok for um but got no replies so I'll try here as it is to do with traffic

Is it possible to currently turn right into Sukhumvit soi 1 (heading away from Bang Na) on the odd numbered soi side and if so are there time restrictions to the traffic system, haven't been there for a while and I notice on Google street view the road is now almost one way apart from the very right hand lane or left lane if heading to Bang Na - is this now a permanent feature or on a schedule

So there are 2x questions -

1. About traffic flow on Sukhumvit and how it works - is it a timed thing at rush hour or permanent

2. When the flow is 5 lanes to 1 can a right turn be made across lane 1 into soi 1,3,5,7,9,11 etc

Any tips on navigating around there would be helpful thanks

I had this app a couple of years ago on my iPhone. Is there something significantly different about the newer version, or are they just drawing attention to it again?

Any opinions on how this app is different from Google Maps? I haven't compared them, I just use Google Maps and check for congestion along my route.