Capital punishment concerns raised over Thai backpackers' murder case

webfact

Basicaly if your a Brit in Thailand and get in trouble. Do not expect any help from Britain. It is called diplomacy!

I'm not clear how you reached your conclusion from this article. It states that British police have been helping with the investigation/prosecution of (non-British) individuals accused of murdering British citizens. They are helping British citizens (the families of the deceased) by ensuring that those who committed the crimes see justice. I don't see how you conclude the opposite.

Yes, justice Thai-style: with the prosecution and the full weight of Thai officialdom getting the interviews and forensics from British experts, .....but the defense stuck with nada. If that's justice, then I'm a green frog.
I must have missed a report where any forensic evidence processed in the UK has been turned over to the prosecution. I also must have missed a report where any interviews conducted in the UK were officially turned over to the prosecution.

If you disagree with the Daily Mail's choice of words in their reporting I'm sure that they'd love to hear from you: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/contactus

So do u think the taxi driver made it all up... or.perhaps he was confused hey!!!

The problem is it doesn't fit your agenda on here. You have a lot to say about certain things and zero about others that doesn't fit your remit.

LOL...

You asked for a comment; I gave you a comment. The Daily Mail only would go so far as to say that is what was claimed. Whether it is true or not, I don't have a clue. My only agenda is to have fun watching people like you blow a gasket.

I am certainly not blowing get a gasket ? I also like to see you with a stutter... cracks me up... th th th th th the taxi driver w w w w well .... its all made up.... th th th guy must have been on drugs. S s s s s same as that McAnna guy. All druggies...

JD I do think of know how many years you have been in Thailand but it ain't enough to have learnt that many things can happen that are and remained unexplained.

You should take of your blinkers and see the whole picture.

I dont know the guilt of the B2. I remain sceptical and am looking forward to the trial.

• Like 1

Basicaly if your a Brit in Thailand and get in trouble. Do not expect any help from Britain. It is called diplomacy!

I'm not clear how you reached your conclusion from this article. It states that British police have been helping with the investigation/prosecution of (non-British) individuals accused of murdering British citizens. They are helping British citizens (the families of the deceased) by ensuring that those who committed the crimes see justice. I don't see how you conclude the opposite.

Yes, justice Thai-style: with the prosecution and the full weight of Thai officialdom getting the interviews and forensics from British experts, .....but the defense stuck with nada. If that's justice, then I'm a green frog.
I must have missed a report where any forensic evidence processed in the UK has been turned over to the prosecution. I also must have missed a report where any interviews conducted in the UK were officially turned over to the prosecution.

From the Guardian article

The FCO response said Hampshire, Essex, Hertfordshire and Jersey police had been asked by Thai police to interview Britons who were on Koh Tao with Witheridge and Miller. It added: “We now understand that UK law enforcement colleagues shared the contents of these statements informally with Thai police after they had taken human rights considerations into account.

Although I agree not formally, the question then would be why informally ?

• Like 2

The FCO response said Hampshire, Essex, Hertfordshire and Jersey police had been asked by Thai police to interview Britons who were on Koh Tao with Witheridge and Miller. It added: “We now understand that UK law enforcement colleagues shared the contents of these statements informally with Thai police after they had taken human rights considerations into account.

Informally can't be used in court. If it can't be used what harm is there? Other reports say that contact was through Interpol.

So nothing official, and no report regarding forensics that I am aware of.

Pretty hard to make real claims of them working together on this. Edited by draftvader
Messed up quotes and cleaning formatting

So far, there has not been any rebuttal about my assertion that had the B2 committed this crime, the locals would have marched them into the RTP HQ. Had they been involved, the Headman would have released the CCTV, Nomsod would not have fled, and the RTP would have had an easy time. If the DNA matched, there would have been independent verification, and the farcical re-enactment would not have occurred.

Such are the draconian defamation laws that I do not accuse anyone, but there are many unanswered questions.

There has been rebuttal. You apparently are simply ignoring it.

Someone in BKK at the time could not have "fled"

So far, there has not been any rebuttal about my assertion that had the B2 committed this crime, the locals would have marched them into the RTP HQ. Had they been involved, the Headman would have released the CCTV, Nomsod would not have fled, and the RTP would have had an easy time. If the DNA matched, there would have been independent verification, and the farcical re-enactment would not have occurred.

Such are the draconian defamation laws that I do not accuse anyone, but there are many unanswered questions.

Exactly Stephen well said.

Just an open and transparent case. Those that wish anything less could be conspirators in a cover up.

I know which side of the fence I sit on.

Nice try. How about the locals?

Informally can't be used in court. If it can't be used what harm is there? Other reports say that contact was through Interpol.

Pretty hard to make real claims of them working together on this.

Reprieves Beef is they applied to the relevant forces to have the friends interviewed after being told they hadn't been already.

It then turns out actually they had interviewed them despite previous denials. The 4 forces have claimed they done it informally so what they said was factual in their eyes.

Reprieve now want copies of the interviews as the defence had asked for them via Reprieve and their Lawyers in the UK. The UK Police have acted in what some people would describe as underhanded considering the MPS letter sent in December.

Whilst the prosecution have every right to have people interviewed so also do the defence. Its a level playing field as far as the UK is concerned as its not under Thai Jurisdiction.

That's the bottom line in this story. They wanted to use the UK Police to conduct interviews. Now the purpose of all Police forces is to work to prove or disprove a case. Reprieve have no concerns that the statements will reveal any evidence that ties the 2 people they are acting on behalf off. They just want the facts. Like everyone else here. Just the Facts. No cloak and dagger. No withholding important evidence that could prove one way or another.

Reprieve isn't representing the defendants nor are they interested in the guilt or innocence of anyone. They are a pressure group opposed to the death penalty. They work to stop the death penalty regardless of guilt. Edited by draftvader
Messed up quotes and cleaning formatting

Answered above.

Reprieves Beef is they applied to the relevant forces to have the friends interviewed after being told they hadn't been already.

It then turns out actually they had interviewed them despite previous denials. The 4 forces have claimed they done it informally so what they said was factual in their eyes.

Reprieve now want copies of the interviews as the defence had asked for them via Reprieve and their Lawyers in the UK. The UK Police have acted in what some people would describe as underhanded considering the MPS letter sent in December.

Whilst the prosecution have every right to have people interviewed so also do the defence. Its a level playing field as far as the UK is concerned as its not under Thai Jurisdiction.

That's the bottom line in this story. They wanted to use the UK Police to conduct interviews. Now the purpose of all Police forces is to work to prove or disprove a case. Reprieve have no concerns that the statements will reveal any evidence that ties the 2 people they are acting on behalf off. They just want the facts. Like everyone else here. Just the Facts. No cloak and dagger. No withholding important evidence that could prove one way or another.

Reprieve isn't representing the defendants nor are they interested in the guilt or innocence of anyone. They are a pressure group opposed to the death penalty. They work to stop the death penalty regardless of guilt.

WRONG.... 100% wrong.

Reprieve are working for the defence along with their lawyers Leigh Day. They have access to private and confidential information from the Police and coroner. They are the assigned representatives in the UK signed off by Nakhon Chomphuchat .

You don't know who I am by the way.

• Like 1

Answered above.

Actually you don't respond to the assertion that had the locals known who were the killers, e.g, the B2 in this example, they would have been marched into the RTP HQ. I really thought you had more common-sense than to ignore what would have happened in a close-knit community.

One day, you will accept that the B2 have been more than likely set-up for this crime, as do the majority on this forum.

Reprieve isn't representing the defendants nor are they interested in the guilt or innocence of anyone. They are a pressure group opposed to the death penalty. They work to stop the death penalty regardless of guilt.

WRONG.... 100% wrong.

Reprieve are working for the defence along with their lawyers Leigh Day. They have access to private and confidential information from the Police and coroner. They are the assigned representatives in the UK signed off by Nakhon Chomphuchat .

Which is more likely that the B2 will be 'let off' on 'not enough evidence' to convict them. No-one loses face.

Answered above.

Actually you don't respond to the assertion that had the locals known who were the killers, e.g, the B2 in this example, they would have been marched into the RTP HQ. I really thought you had more common-sense than to ignore what would have happened in a close-knit community.

One day, you will accept that the B2 have been more than likely set-up for this crime, as do the majority on this forum.

I do respond. The locals don't know. You would not only have had to be awake at the time, but also present at the beach. To claim people know anything other than gossip is ludicrous. However you do appear willing to give credence to gossip (spread by people who were not on the island)

However, you avoid any answer to the rebuttals.

You don't speak for the majority of the forum. You can speak for the majority of repeat posters on these threads.
  • Like 1

WRONG.... 100% wrong.

Can you cite any source stating Reprieve has been employed by the defense?

"You don't know who I am?" correct. All you are to me is an anonymous poster on the Internet.
  • Like 1

The FCO response said Hampshire, Essex, Hertfordshire and Jersey police had been asked by Thai police to interview Britons who were on Koh Tao with Witheridge and Miller. It added: We now understand that UK law enforcement colleagues shared the contents of these statements informally with Thai police after they had taken human rights considerations into account.

WRONG.... 100% wrong.

"You don't know who I am?" correct. All you are to me is an anonymous poster on the Internet.

I have no need to provide you with anything. Like you i am anonymous. . Lol. If you need any confirmation you can contact Zoe Bedford or Khun Nakhon

i do not need to cite sources for reprieve i have been helping them. So my word is good enough. Edited by draftvader
  • Like 1

Re 110.

I do respond. The locals don't know. You would not only have had to be awake at the time, but also present at the beach. To claim people know anything other than gossip is ludicrous. However you do appear willing to give credence to gossip (spread by people who were not on the island)

So what you're implying is that there were no witnesses to the crime. The B2 are innocent. You can't have it both ways.

Edited by stephen terry

The FCO response said Hampshire, Essex, Hertfordshire and Jersey police had been asked by Thai police to interview Britons who were on Koh Tao with Witheridge and Miller. It added: We now understand that UK law enforcement colleagues shared the contents of these statements informally with Thai police after they had taken human rights considerations into account.

WRONG.... 100% wrong.

I have no need to provide you with anything. Like you i am anonymous. . Lol. If you need any confirmation you can contact Zoe Bedford or Khun Nakhon

i do not need to cite sources for reprieve i have been helping them. So my word is good enough.

Respectfully, you are an anonymous poster on the Internet making a claim I have not seen in print. So, no, your word is not good enough for me. Please provide a citation where it is stated that Reprieve is doing anything other than fulfilling their mandate to fight against the death penalty or I will simply believe what they have written on their website regarding their goals

Interviews from Brit authorities did find their way to Thai officials/prosecution, according to the OP. Whether officially, directly or roundabout, doesn't much matter. The gist is: The investigative info getting to Thai prosecutors, is probably not also getting to B2 defense team. So, it appears Brit authorities are doing two things wrong: They're aiding a prosecution which may send two young men to their deaths, and they're playing favorites.

Someone should do the following experiment: See if it's possible to get from Ko Tao to Bangkok in 4 hours, using a speedboat and a fast vehicle or motorbike. Regardless of whether Nomsod sped to Bkk early on Monday, the alibi video still looks like an amateurish ruse.

I also re-read the newspaper article about a couple questionable speedboat operators who were on the island the next day. One spent the night in a cave (the day after the cirme) and both were drugged to near incoherence, while police were trying to interview them. The cops weren't getting anything coherent from either one, so they gave up trying to talk to them. Did cops check phone histories (of boat drivers and/or persons of interest)? Oh, silly me, of course not. That's just one of 200 basic crime detection protocols which cops didn't do, or did and squelched, ....for reasons we're all-too-familiar with.

Edited by boomerangutang
  • Like 1

WRONG.... 100% wrong.

i do not need to cite sources for reprieve i have been helping them. So my word is good enough.

Respectfully, you are an anonymous poster on the Internet making a claim I have not seen in print. So, no, your word is not good enough for me. Please provide a citation where it is stated that Reprieve is doing anything other than fulfilling their mandate to fight against the death penalty or I will simply believe what they have written on their website regarding their goals

Unfortunately for you I will not rise to take your bait. You take great pleasure in flaming people or as u described watching people blow a gasket. Your sole purpose on here is to instigate conflict between people who have a genuine desire to seek the truth come out.

I don't do your research. I share facts that you can if you so wish and if the people deem you worthy enough will confirm.

Other than that keep rolling along my friend and enjoy your 660ml bottles of Leo's. Lol. ..

Your not worthy any further response. You purpose is to flame this thread and get it shut down I think.

• Like 1

I'm really fed up with JD. Not only can he assemble a reasonable argument to support his untold opinion that relies solely on what the RTP have reported as 'fact', he seeks to undermine others by spurious claims.

I suggest he takes a break and waits until the trial as he said he was going to do...

I and AleG have answered you ( posts 74, 75, 90, and others). You simply choose to ignore the posts. I brought up points in 74 and 90 that you don't answer. (you aren't obligated to, as I am not obligated to answer yours, but I do try to answer questions put to me.)

I have spent time on Koh Tao. It is not that "close knit". It has enormous turn over of staff and residents and that's before you add in the daily turn over of tourists.

How could people (island workers would almost all be asleep at the time of the murders) know who committed the crimes?

They wouldn't be able to march anyone in to the police unless they were there. Gossip "everyone knows" isn't evidence and is often totally wrong.

As far as being in the minority on this topic, I can live with that. After all, the majority is often wrong and full understanding comes over time. The earth is not flat but the majority thought so at one time. The sun doesn't revolve around the earth... ETC

Finally, you are entitled to your opinion. I am as well. You are not entitled to suggest that I not post.

Loonodingle - I have never used the term blow a gasket.

I am expressing my opinion. I am not flaming. If you are offended that I don't accept uncited claims as fact, that's on you and not me.

I will stick with what is verifiable.

Regarding the assertion that the investigation suddenly changed focus after Panya was transferred to BKK (as scheduled) that can clearly be disproven.

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/police-now-rule-koh-tao-headmans-son-murder-suspect-turn-foreign-tourists-probe

I will find the report that says only 30 or so of the 200 DNA samples collected had been tested.

Edit --- the 26th

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/763480-killers-of-britons-may-have-fled-koh-tao-police-pin-hopes-on-dna-test-results/

Edited by jdinasia