I want to buy a sports car....

Thai's don't like convertibles and no reason to have a convertible in Thailand, too hot, too much sun/moon etc..

I have a convertible here in Thailand and I can only say you are talking out of your (DELETED) language

Thai's love it, as do everyone else I know here especially the BIB who have yet to get a ticket from in years of driving it here...never even been asked for my licence. It appears that the only person who doesn't like them are you so get over it and back on topic.... fun sports cars for the OP buy.

Ermm you're not familiar with emoticons are you? Nor did you actually read much of the thread apparently, I was speaking sarcastically as the emoticons were supposed to convey since that is what I was told by a certain poster a couple of pages back and he took several nasty jabs at my perspective which was on the same opinion as yours, myself and several others here..

Edited by WarpSpeed

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My emoticons are better,smarter,faster..

Or maybe that's the future of our cars,

New cars are quite a few computer chips/processors,

'cept for the Mercedes,is the Viper computerized?

Sure, it is.. :-D

???

I have an AMG convertible Mercedes in Chiang Mai, and the roof is down more than it's up.

Admittedly, my wife rarely rides in it with the top down during the day, but at nighttime, it's ideal.

Bangkok I would have to agree, not really practical stuck in traffic in the heat and fumes, but outside BKK, convertibles are a lot of fun.

As for me, this is one of the things I like Thailand for. If someone really feels the need for a sports car with a huge engine and fuel consumption, he should pay a hefty premium for it. Still, I do not think Thai roads (quality or traffic wise) are made for sports cars, trucks are the way to go.

Let me see if I understand. You like Thailand because sports cars are expensive? That's a new one.

As for me, this is one of the things I like Thailand for. If someone really feels the need for a sports car with a huge engine and fuel consumption, he should pay a hefty premium for it. Still, I do not think Thai roads (quality or traffic wise) are made for sports cars, trucks are the way to go.

Let me see if I understand. You like Thailand because sports cars are expensive? That's a new one.

My interpretation is that he likes thailand because he thinks sports cars are impractical here and the Thai government taxes them greatly to discourage people from buying them. You still have the freedom to buy them but the amount of them on the road is limited because of the great cost. That's what makes sense to me but maybe the poster can weigh in on my assessment and yours.

• 1 month later...

Wow. 170,000 Baht lowered Mitsui (El Camino) chop top knock off, complete with full tonneau cover. That's pretty cheap fun. I wonder if it drives like a snake after the chop? I'd put a rake on it to make it more rad.

I wonder if they strengthened the chassis to compensate of the lost strength from losing the roof whistling.gif.pagespeed.ce.FVjgnKnWS1SW1

Should be body-on-frame, so OTR performance should still be OK.

But a very good idea to add a big brace across the cab - behind the dash - to strengthen up that area.

Along with some diagonals from base of windshield to transmission tunnel.

That said - would not want to be in it if it rolled - or be VERY short !

I wonder if they strengthened the chassis to compensate of the lost strength from losing the roof whistling.gif.pagespeed.ce.FVjgnKnWS1SW1

What strength loss? It has a few hundred kilos of chassis - the body is just decoration :P

I had many American Muscle Cars, in the early nineties, overhere. But they are all gone. Nothing left anymore!

But here you still have a lot of freedom. You can buy a older Serie 5 Bmer and put in a nice V8 engine. It's legal and you don't pay any extra tax. Currently i build a Volvo 940 with a 1 UZ Lexus V8 plus 6 speed tranny. It's gonna be a rocket. Total costs about 350'000 THB (professionally done).

Real sport cars, you can't afford anymore in this country. But you can build one.

Let me see if I understand. You like Thailand because sports cars are expensive? That's a new one

Trucks overhere aren't fun. No V8, this its what i miss.

Edited by stingray

I had many American Muscle Cars, in the early nineties, overhere. But they are all gone. Nothing left anymore!

But here you still have a lot of freedom. You can buy a older Serie 5 Bmer and put in a nice V8 engine. It's legal and you don't pay any extra tax. Currently i build a Volvo 940 with a 1 UZ Lexus V8 plus 6 speed tranny. It's gonna be a rocket. Total costs about 350'000 THB (professionally done).

Real sport cars, you can't afford anymore in this country. But you can build one.

My Datsun 510 in the states has a 3UZ. Same way around the taxes and insurance.

My daily driver in Cali is a V70R. It's currently in storage as I'm in thailand. Sounds like we have similar tastes.

This is exactly what my sports car looked like, MGB,1964 model. It had an 1800cc engine, it was fun, then they brought out a 3000cc version to be replaced with a 3500cc V8...thumbsup.gif

attachicon.gifmgb.jpg

I had a '66 MGBGT for over a decade and loved it, then... Now, I wonder why I subjected myself to such horror... Underpowered, Smith gauges, Lucas electrics, friction dampers and crap from stem to stern... The lump weighed more than a small-block chevy engine!!! It wouldn't start whenever it was 1) cold, 2) wet, 3) dark outside... I used to have to lay on the ground and smack the fuel pump in the rear wheel-well with a hammer to get it to start working... Having said that, I would like to have one today, just to have something to tinker with, because they always need fiddling with the get them to run right...

• 3 months later...

I own a Mazda MX5 Roadster, 2007 model with only 14,000 kilometers on it. Rarely driven. My wifes car. Stays covered in our car park. Black with custom brown/black interior. 1.4 million is the the price. New one costs 2.8 million last time I checked.

hi, i guess the Mx5 sold already?

It's not everyones choice to drive a "4 banger rattle diesel". I prefere 6 nd 8 cylinder. In my opinion, trucks are for farmers. Fuel consumption isn't much important. There are gas stations everywhere.

If you can't realy buy the car you want, you can buy some kind of "rwd" cars and swap in a nice straight six twin turbo or V8, and it's legal to do so.

post-36457-0-57203200-1437476925_thumb.j

Edited by stingray

Fugly! Are you a guy? I'd rather have the pink Chrysler at the top of the page and yes I'd drive it out of sheer novelty and uniqueness but I'd have to change the color, even though real men drive pink cars. There is a rumored type R edition of the S660 supposed to be coming out though and I expect at that size, with that set up, it'd be quite a bit of fun to drive.

Edited by WarpSpeed

Fugly! Are you a guy? I'd rather have the pink Chrysler at the top of the page and yes I'd drive it out of sheer novelty and uniqueness but I'd have to change the color, even though real men drive pink cars. There is a rumored type R edition of the S660 supposed to be coming out though and I expect at that size, with that set up, it'd be quite a bit of fun to drive.

Not too concerned about what others might think of me (I used to have an MGF!) The s660 is small and light, and looks like it will be very direct to drive - and that's what I'm looking for. I'd honestly take a 64hp S660 over a 500hp M3 or whatever (believe it or not...)