car boat ferry to Koh chang over sonkran

davidst01

We could be taking the car ferry to Koh chang over sonkran. On monday the 13th would this be booked out early? Can we book in advance via the web? What about returning to the mainland on the Saturday 18th? Is this going to be a really busy time due to sonkran?

Any info is appreciated

You can maybe book ahead, but the queues of cars to Ko Chang ferry ports during Songkran (or most other Thai public holidays) can be horrendous. So pre-booking will not make any difference if you're going by car.

I know this first hand from the first time we ever went to Chang was during Songran. We we queuing for over 4 hours, after the 3 hour drive from Sattahip. Never again. I would give it a miss during this holiday.

only ever did one Songkran on KC, the holiday itself was great but the traffic getting on and off the ferry was something else, would say go earlier and leave later if your intending on doing this , don't think it was a long as the above poster as regards queues, but it was a long time

pre booking if your taking a car ain't going to help

Hi, instead of starting a new thread I thought I'd ask here. I am also planning on visiting Koh Chang over Songkran however I was planning on getting a bus from Bangkok on the 13th, returning on the 16th. Is there anywhere I can book bus tickets in advance from and where is the best place to get the bus from? Sorry lots of different information on the web and not sure if the schedules will be different over Songkran. Thanks.

Hi, instead of starting a new thread I thought I'd ask here. I am also planning on visiting Koh Chang over Songkran however I was planning on getting a bus from Bangkok on the 13th, returning on the 16th. Is there anywhere I can book bus tickets in advance from and where is the best place to get the bus from? Sorry lots of different information on the web and not sure if the schedules will be different over Songkran. Thanks.

By bus is the better option, did it once by car and waiting was indeed long. You can buy your bus and boat ticket at ekkamai bus station in bkk.

Make sure your ferry goes to au sapparot and not au thamachart since the latter takes more time and there are not much tourists on which makes you have to pay more for the taxi.

Enjoy it there, love the island.

• 4 weeks later...

Bite the bullet and take the first ferry, 6am from Centre Point and you should be fine, get there half an hour early to be safe. Likewise, return journey, take the 6am, probably get there for 5am, aside from the early start you'll have a great time, best, Richard.

If you're not driving, minibuses are readily available from Victory Monument (BKK), public bus from Ekkamai, from Pattaya lots of minibuses, doesn't really make any difference whether they take you to Centre Point or Thannachat. Best, Richard.