Criminal Court acquits Chavanond of defaming Yingluck on Four Seasons business meeting

webfact

Criminal Court acquits Chavanond of defaming Yingluck on Four Seasons business meeting

BANGKOK: -- The Criminal Court on Monday acquitted the former Democrat party-list MP Chavanond Intarakomalyasut of defamation charge brought against him by the former prime minister Yingluck Shinawatra in 2012.

The court reasoned that although Yingluck’s lawyers would affirm that the former prime minister’s meeting with five businessmen at the Four Seasons Hotel in February 2012 to hear recommendations and views on property business, was confidential, it was not publicly disclosed.

Therefore this justified Mr Chavanond who was then an opposition MP to be sceptical and come out to hold a press conference.

The court went on explaining that although some statement in the press conference by Mr Chavanond would defame the former prime minister, but what he stated was to protect national interest.

The court then acquitted him of the defamation charge.

Chavanond, meanwhile, thanked the court for the ruling saying this could serve as a significant norm in working to ensure transparency of the government work and that shall be protected by law and to enable the people to access to information.

However he still faces the same defamation charge along with two former Democrat MPs on a TV programme.

The former prime minister filed defamation charge against former party-list MP Chavanond Intarakomalyasut, former Nakhon Si Thammarat MP Tepthai Senpong, and former Songkhla MP Sirichok Sopha for making defamatory remarks about the prime minister in relation to her meeting with a group of businessmen at the Four Seasons Hotel in 2012.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/criminal-court-acquits-chavanond-of-defaming-yingluck-on-four-seasons-business-meeting

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-03-16

Interesting the defamation law.

Ms. Yingluck denied the meeting at first, her 'little while lies' Minister of Finance denied the meeting and after some zigzagging around the only thing which was made known was a meeting in which Ms. Yingluck and her financial expert 'only' listened to property developers, skipping a debate in parliament.

Matters of the State comes 2nd? Ahhh...the importance of democracy...

• Like 2

Wow.... didn't see that outcome coming.... not. "Not publicly disclosed" wasn't that Australian chamber of commerce lady charged with defamation when she told Thai Chinese businessman he was a crook during a private phone call a few years back? Gotta love the justice system here....

• Like 2

Well surely if the lady and I would presume also the person she met with had nothing to hide they could have or should have made the content of the meeting public

Make the content public? First question had not been answered - Parliament was in session. What was so important to be having a meeting with businessmen outside of the PM Office. This would have implied it was not a matter of the govt or state.

Edited by trogers
  • Like 1

What he said at the press conference could be deemed as defamatory, the court said. But he's NOT GUILTY.

Good old reconciliatory judiciary at work again!

Because it was in the national interest, whereas the meeting was in the PM's own interest. IMHO the meeting was to discuss the urgent building of rice warehouses, about to be sorely needed - I wonder how much the tip was worth?

• Like 2

What he said at the press conference could be deemed as defamatory, the court said. But he's NOT GUILTY.

Because it was in the national interest, whereas the meeting was in the PM's own interest. IMHO the meeting was to discuss the urgent building of rice warehouses, about to be sorely needed - I wonder how much the tip was worth?

Defaming her was in the national interest?

They could have just said she attended a private meeting at the hotel, which was the truth. Instead they had to make several other defamatory statements.

They could have just said she attended a private meeting at the hotel, which was the truth. Instead they had to make several other defamatory statements.

Didn't Ms. Yingluck defame herself by publicly denying to have had a meeting ?

Rubi

you cannot defame yourself

Watforusalso

evidently according to the article you can state untruths if its in the national interest, however in other defamation cases it would appear telling the truth is no defence

Rubi

Watforusalso

evidently according to the article you can state untruths if its in the national interest, however in other defamation cases it would appear telling the truth is no defence

You can defame yourself but it is neither a criminal nor civil offense

If, as PM you lie and get caught, you pretty much don't have a leg to stand on when you cry to the court.

In Thailand the truth is not always a defense for defamation. This is less true when you are a public figure.

• Like 1

Rubi

Watforusalso

If, as PM you lie and get caught, you pretty much don't have a leg to stand on when you cry to the court.

In Thailand the truth is not always a defense for defamation. This is less true when you are a public figure.

From Wiki

Under common law, to constitute defamation, a claim must generally be false and have been made to someone other than the person defamed. Some common law jurisdictions also distinguish between spoken defamation, called slander, and defamation in other media such as printed words or images, called libel.

Rubi

Watforusalso

From Wiki

Under common law, to constitute defamation, a claim must generally be false and have been made to someone other than the person defamed. Some common law jurisdictions also distinguish between spoken defamation, called slander, and defamation in other media such as printed words or images, called libel.

I am sorry, what is your point with the quote from Wikipedia

Rubi

Watforusalso

Pray tell, apart from Ms. Yingluck lying when she first stated that there had not been a meeting, what other untruths are you referring to?

Did you dig up the original text which was deemed by Ms. Yingluck, or whoever started the defamation case, to be defaming her? Was it a tongue-in-cheek suggestion something inappropriate might have taken place as Ms. Yingluck wasn't there officially (or even unofficially)?

Well surely if the lady and I would presume also the person she met with had nothing to hide they could have or should have made the content of the meeting public

Make the content public? First question had not been answered - Parliament was in session. What was so important to be having a meeting with businessmen outside of the PM Office. This would have implied it was not a matter of the govt or state.

Wags were saying at the time that it was a tryst. I never said that but many, many others did. I heard them say so, myself.

Wags were saying at the time that it was a tryst. I never said that but many, many others did. I heard them say so, myself.

I learned a new acronym and since I doubt I'm the only one who needed (/needs) to look it up:

"WAGs (or Wags) is an acronym used to refer to wives and girlfriends of high-profile sportsmen. The term may also be used in the singular form, "WAG", to refer to a specific female partner / life partner."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WAGs

• Like 1

I learned a new acronym and since I doubt I'm the only one who needed (/needs) to look it up:

"WAGs (or Wags) is an acronym used to refer to wives and girlfriends of high-profile sportsmen. The term may also be used in the singular form, "WAG", to refer to a specific female partner / life partner."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WAGs

Long before that acronym existed, it was slang for a joker.

Anytime the Yingluck 4 Seasons tryst is mentioned it causes outbursts of mirth or depression depending on your political stance, but we should bear in mind that at least one person died because of what he witnessed at the 4 Seasons that fateful day. RIP Ekkayuth, activist, pyramid builder and just another in a long line of corpses that heard, saw or spoke of the clan's illicit activities. It is also a reminder of the harm caused by lying. If Yingluck had only admitted to having gone there to "bone up" on property related affairs, instead of all this "I wasn't there", "it wasn't me", "silence the witnesses" it would have been long forgotten about.

And now we get questions as to why bad things are building up for her? It's called Karma.

• Like 1