Chayote (sayongte or fak maeo) in Udon Thani

sayongte ซายองเต้ or fak maeo ฟักแม้ว

Have been reading about this and would like to get hold of some.

It would appear to be a good food source for animals (currently have ducks and chickens, hopefully pigs later this year) and humans. It's fast growing and I would like to create a 'wall' that is natural, rather than looking at man made materials.

Tried the local supermarkets (hoping to get the fruit) and plant suppliers (for a plant). Then asked around the big supermarkets and a few of the plant suppliers in Udon Thani. It doesn't seem to be very popular around here, as I've come up empty (except for Big C - they had some leaves in a mixed veg pack). I'm not even sure when the fruit is in season.

Can anybody suggest a supplier for the plant or fruit? It does get a bit frustrating hearing 'mai mee' everywhere you go. And confirm that my research regarding food for animals is correct?

Thanks in advance.

Seasonal. Like you i have been researching the chayote for almost 2 years. I am in Loei, not far from Udon. Managed to get some fruits from a local market, grew them, the vines came out okay, but never more than 4 or 5 feet, then they die off. I understand they grow well in Chaiyaphum. I was disappointed with my crop....gave it tender loving care, did all that was prescribed, but somehow they never went beyond 20 leaves! sprouted beautifully...don't know where i went wrong! the clmate?

• Like 1

exterminator, thanks for the info.

Your initial growing success followed by disappointment doesn't bode well for me.

When is the chayote in season? If I'm unable to find anything closer, the 2 hour drive to Loei is on the cards.

Hey Sean,

Here are a few pic's of the wife's little setup...

post-86157-0-24587100-1428552041_thumb.j

post-86157-0-52883500-1428552083_thumb.j

post-86157-0-69494700-1428552114_thumb.j

She said you can buy them from Royal Project shops. She bought from a market in Petchabun. Try to get them as mature as possible. She said lot's of other stuff too, but I can't remember it all ;-)

• Like 1