Navy Sources State That Buying Chinese Submarines is a Bad Idea

Jacob Maslow

Australia makes some they might consider...unfortunately they make about as much noise as an AC/DC concert

Really?

"Sheean demonstrated that the class was comparable in the underwater warfare role to the Los Angeles-class nuclear-powered attack submarine USS Olympia.[173][175] The two submarines traded roles during the exercise and were equally successful in the attacking role, despite Olympia being larger, more powerful, and armed with more advanced torpedoes.[175] In 2003, a Collins-class boat carried out successful attacks on two USN nuclear submarines and an aircraft carrier during a multinational exercise.[176] The repeated successes of the class in wargames and multinational exercises earned the Collins class praise from foreign military officers for being "a very capable and quiet submarine",[170] and recognition of the boats as a clear example of the threat posed to navies by modern diesel submarines.[177]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collins-class_submarine#Sensors_and_systems

Finally, some common sense surfaces. Why purchase submarines from a country that Thailand may soon be having to counter in regard to its expansionist policies?

The best submarines on the market for Thailand are the Dolphin class built by Germany. The Israelis have been outfitted by Germany and these are some of the best in the world. I suppose, with the current antagonistic relations with Germany, such a purchase may not be possible.

Germany also has strict rules on dealing with military dictatorships and anti-bribery regulations. Maybe if and when there is a return to civilian rule...............

..........the anti-bribery restriction would apply.

The poor navy seals in pictures look like Boy Scouts. Maybe invest in some uniforms first.

This is the PARADE uniform.

Please read well the report before posting.

I have read it and can't see where it says "Parade Uniform". It says under "combat training".

Great! We camoflauge faces for jungle warfare but wear white gloves????????????????

Edit: Ok I can see it says "combat training in Military Parade", but agin: Why facial camoflauge with white gloves?

Edited by petedk

I wonder what the toilets are like on a Chinese submarine!

Like much in China, it's hard to tell where the toilet ends and the submarine begins.

Toilets? They stop off at temples and do it whereever they like.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/weird/558444/White-Temple-BANS-Chinese-tourists-defecating-toilets-dropping-used-loo-roll

Edited by petedk

The tanks they bought from China developed cracks,that would make

any sensible person think twice about buying Chinese Subs.

regards worgeordie

So have the seats on some of the BTS carriages. I have noticed several cracks on the Chinese supplied trains recently.

Edited by petedk

A Submarine is only as good as its crew. It takes quite a long time for a Sub skipper to take command of his boat.

He will have worked his way up through the ranks and will know he systems inside out.

How many Thai Naval officers have been in this position?

This is NOT a job for cronyism or nepotism, Unless the RTN has been sending sailors to China over the past 2 years to get to know thse subs inside out and be part of a Chinese crew, and earn their Submariner tags, it's a recipe for disaster.

The poor navy seals in pictures look like Boy Scouts. Maybe invest in some uniforms first.

I have read it and can't see where it says "Parade Uniform". It says under "combat training".

Great! We camoflauge faces for jungle warfare but wear white gloves????????????????

Edit: Ok I can see it says "combat training in Military Parade", but agin: Why facial camoflauge with white gloves?

Its all about image. Not substance.

• Like 1

Maybe it's a tribute to the Black and White Minstrels?

"How I love ya my dear old Chao Praya..."

Buying submarines is a bad idea period. All that complaining by tax payers about rice subsidies seems a little redundant now. Tax money is always wasted but at least the rice subsidies went straight back into the Thai economy

hahahahahahaha back into the thai economy ...of course you know this for sure

Well mine did for sure and i don't think most farmers have international connections, can't speak for the money siphoned off of course but that wouldn't have been most of the money. Most would have gone to paying off debts,the subs will cause debt, but it's not my money.

Funny lot submariners , its not like you can go home at weekends. I knew RN guys that would do 90 day back to back missions around the Falklands, at the end one trip they would pop into Uruguay for a few days R& R, most of the senior ranks would stay on the boat and drink.