ASEAN and the future of foreign teachers?

onlycw

Apparently, the authorities in Vietnam are now demanding "a degree in paedagogic" with some "English (literature?)" thrown in.

Can you confirm this? Will this be the future for ASEAN? Forget a BA in any subject, it's gotta be English & paedagogic?

Go spend a small fortune on getting a degree to earn 30k a month for 9 months a year with a school that probavly wont bother getting u a permit at all in a ever increasing cost of living country. Wank wank. They get what they pay for.

As I remember a BA is not sufficient to teach in the UK.

A graduate needs also to complete a 1 year teaching training course to obtain a Teachers Certificate .

At least this used to be the requirement wether it still is I am not sure.

I think you are allowed to teach in a public school in the UK if they want to employ you regardless of teaching qualification. Remember 'public' in this respect means 'private' and 'elitist' - we are talking about Eton, Harrow and the like as well as sundry lesser schools

If you want to teach in a UK state school then you need academic credentials, either a B Ed or and BA and PGCE and if I am right then after 1 year's teaching experience and some sort of assessment you are granted Qualified Teacher Status.

Isn't that just a teaching diploma like a PGCEi or the numerous Filipino teaching diploma's?

I am not sure that the PGCEi awarded by an institution like Nottingham University in the UK, or Sunderland's equivalent, and the various teaching diplomas offered by Philippine academic institutions should be lumped together. I think the former is wholly different in character and quality and has some international value and credibility whereas the latter will suffice in Thailand, the RPI and parts of Asia but outside of the region would be disregarded and considered useless.

• Like 1

Isn't that just a teaching diploma like a PGCEi or the numerous Filipino teaching diploma's?

I am not sure that the PGCEi awarded by an institution like Nottingham University in the UK, or Sunderland's equivalent, and the various teaching diplomas offered by Philippine academic institutions should be lumped together. I think the former is wholly different in character and quality and has some international value and credibility whereas the latter will suffice in Thailand, the RPI and parts of Asia but outside of the region would be disregarded and considered useless.

Considering we are talking about Vietnam and ASEAN... My post was accurate.. No?

A graduate needs also to complete a 1 year teaching training course to obtain a Teachers Certificate .

And this has what to do with teaching in Vietnam??

Actually it is Pedagogic, the study of the theory and practice of teaching especially English. I am not sure where you have heard this but it is not true. I am teching in a school in Saigon and only need a BS or a BA in any faculity. even if not a degree if you are native speaker with a few years of international teaching, no problem to get a job.And, yes many salary's are around 25 to 30K thai baht but there are also many that are much higher. Mine is up around 55K a month but I also have 20 years experience . Yes, they will help you with via and work permits. i did not ahve to leave the country. Much better than thaland, which is why I left. good luck

I think you are allowed to teach in a public school in the UK if they want to employ you regardless of teaching qualification. Remember 'public' in this respect means 'private' and 'elitist' - we are talking about Eton, Harrow and the like as well as sundry lesser schools

If you want to teach in a UK state school then you need academic credentials, either a B Ed or and BA and PGCE and if I am right then after 1 year's teaching experience and some sort of assessment you are granted Qualified Teacher Status.

I think it is only those schools run directly by Local Education Authorities that require teaching qualifications - Academies and free schools are now free to choose.

I think it is only those schools run directly by Local Education Authorities that require teaching qualifications - Academies and free schools are now free to choose.

Actually even those don't.. If you are going through a programme like Teach First.. You do finally get teacher status though.

In the usa most states have a program for those without a teachers license in math and science. And I find that most education majors in math and science are great for the younger students. ... but not so good for the advanced high school students.... they simply lacked the subject knowledge. ... especially if they were older... but they excelled at things like classroom management. .. a give and take

Last week I renewed my Visa and Work Permit in Vietnam. The legal requirement is still a University degree in any subject and a CELTA/TEFL Certificate.

Newly qualified teachers in Vietnam earn $2000 a month (less 10% - 15% tax) and more experienced can earn $3000+ a month. There is frequently a shortage of teachers here so the job market is very different than Thailand.

You put $400 away earning 30K/month?

That's getting by on 20,000 baht/month - not impossible but not my kind of lifestyle!

Only some expenses I've got every month. 4 K cold, about 2 K for electricity and water, without having an air conditioning unit on.

Then abut 1 K for internet, 5 K for Diesel oil. That's already 12 K, but I have to feed a family, need to pay for food, gas, and many other things, plus tax for my car, insurance for me, clothes for all of us, etc..

I couldn't live on that money. I know that mot Filipinos send a lot more home, but they do that for a reason.

Edited by lostinisaan

My rent for a 3 br house in a village near phrae is 1000 thb... another 600 at most for power and water... and 1000 for someone to clean alittle anr donlaundry.... 20 thb for noodles... 30 thb for rice meals.... everything else I blow on going out

Just reading your past makes me happy and we live quite a comfortable life. A very nice villa, dogs, a nice pick up, got my own office, a bathroom in the master bedroom, plus a huge yard with two carports.

No noisy neighborhood, etc....and you don't even have internet in the sticks? What a life are you living? That can't be it?

Maybe you're used to live such a simple life? OMG........

Please tell me that this is only for a short period of time. facepalm.gif

Correct . BA. is now looked upon as buggar all .

Not have a Masters or PHD , do not bother to apply .

The UK dole queue , is full of unemployable , Graduates . coffee1.gif

Open University degree,cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Edited by elliss