Seven deadly days of Songkran 2015: Fatalities in six days now reach 306

webfact

I drove through 2 checkpoints last night and all the police seemed to be sitting down playing cards or something. But they certainly weren't checking any drivers.

You lived to tell us about it, so I would say their efforts were a resounding success! tongue.png

• Like 1

get more police on the roads anyone found to be intoxicated take them off the road incarcerate them till they sober up that should keep the figures down .

Well we can certainly make a fairly accurate assessment of people who haven't lived here for too long, or those who are inebriated.

Should makes laws to restrict Songkran Water festivities to within the grounds of Temples and ban them from the road. I dont see any sense in any of it. Something needs to be done.....cannstart with the importance of human life.

And that's from 'Watertoy'. You got it here.

strangely enough in Australia they actually worked at reducing the number pf road deaths each year and the figures went down dramatically, here they seem to try to increase the figures each year by simply ignoring the problems and making rash statements instead. Wonder of they will ever realize that to reduce the numbers they need the police to actually enforce the rules and have a major presence on the roads, ie, have lots pf police cars patrolling and pulling over the offenders

Please, no proven, workable farang solutions can be considered! TIT

Thai peoples can work it out - they have had many many years to do so, hopefully they are getting close whistling.gif

strangely enough in Australia they actually worked at reducing the number pf road deaths each year and the figures went down dramatically, here they seem to try to increase the figures each year by simply ignoring the problems and making rash statements instead. Wonder of they will ever realize that to reduce the numbers they need the police to actually enforce the rules and have a major presence on the roads, ie, have lots pf police cars patrolling and pulling over the offenders

Please, no proven, workable farang solutions can be considered! TIT

Thai peoples can work it out - they have had many many years to do so, hopefully they are getting close whistling.gif

The wheel is coming!

you are definetely too serious and with a lack of humour.

Where is fun if you wear a helmet? Where is fun if driving slow? Where is fun without a booze and driving home in good spirits? Where is fun if you are not allowed to sit with 11 others on a pickup? And where is fun if you can't joke around with police?

That's Thainess, man!

Realize what poor life you'll have in Oz....Long life without fun.....wink.png

• Like 1

Hooray...we made it to 300+...like every year!

Not funny! mad.gif.pagespeed.ce.z6RtN005qsrqHQ4roTc

340 is a good shot. thumbsup.gif

Actually, it wasn't meant to be funny...just sort of bitter!

...and I raise you 352!

I'm all in for tomorrow below 350 (official reports that is)...

A pint is the all in bet, I don't do bitter - unless Tetley's.

A month ago we had an article saying

"These were the headline-making accidents, on average around 80 people died each day on Thailand’s roads last year."

http://asiancorrespondent.com/131679/thailand-road-deaths/

6 times 80 equals 480. Does that mean Songkran is a rather safe period ?

Rube, these are TAT figures. it is safer at these holiday times, BUT the stats say only those that died at the scene, really you cannot get a daily death figure unless you do ONLY count the deaths at the scene.

2 days should be enough, as in New year western style, they lengthen school/uni time out----conveniently have all public holidays either before Friday or after Sunday.

Biggest problem here is self control -or little of it. Thais never know when to stop--drinking-- fighting-or a.n. other.

I have no sympathies for these things. Over the last three days I had to suffer being cooped in my condo at Onnut. I can see from my windows....these things driving in pickups laden with tons of people and water and throwing things aimlessly. There seems to be more tha usual number of teens on bikes without helmets merely racing up and down the roads and sois, making screeking sounds with their bikes. I can even see people smoking yaba and weeds from my window by the side of the road and these things rent sound systems that have been running from 7am to 11 pm the last three days at full blasts. There seem to be no police around ...totally lawless. All the dumb police tend to be concentrated at Silom and Khao San whereas the rest of Bangkok is being ruled by the ruthless mobs.Two days ago, we had a drunk neighbour banging everyones doors at 3am in the morning. Fortunately he aslo beat up a security guard who was trying to calm him down, hence the police was called in and he was taken away. (for good I hope). I should have taken a trip overseas during these period.

I only wish the worst for these things and one thing I have learnt....never help the underclasses, they are beyond salvation!

Nick...sounds about time you left Thailand...or a least moved to a better neighbourhood...living with al those underclass people.

Should makes laws to restrict Songkran Water festivities to within the grounds of Temples and ban them from the road. I dont see any sense in any of it. Something needs to be done.....cannstart with the importance of human life.

You are part of the problem....not the solution.

I spent a wonderful morning watching my wife and her sisters and brothers doing the songrkran thing to mum (sadly dad has passed) and it was beautiful. Truly something the west could learn from.(and if you don't understand it is about thanking Mum for looking after me when I was little and couldn't look after myself) Then Her sons did the same to the my lady....her mother. It is a really nice ceremony to experience.

I live near the #36 Highway in Banglamung.

Nearby is an elephant farm and every day I estimate about 50 tour buses with tourist go against traffic flow for about 100 meters on that highway to enter the elephant farm, otherwise they have to drive 2 km further down the road to make a U-turn. Nobody is doing anything about.

Not sure why I read this web site Thai Visa.............sadly publishers are unable to pick an ounce of good news even during the happy holiday month of Songkran. Time to move on............ermm.gif.pagespeed.ce.7f2Kr9k8HCxvlbix7X Bye Bye Thai Visa you are to depressing and not the news source I moved to Thailand to listen to. Hopefully you can bring your readers some good news in the future. wai2.gif Hasta Luego!

Edited by Hobiecat

get more police on the roads anyone found to be intoxicated take them off the road incarcerate them till they sober up that should keep the figures down .

But then they'd be far less police on the roads.

Was once playing Songkran a few clicks out of Khon Kaen. People were putting water on the police who were sipping whiskey and quite enjoying it (except for the big captain). Two drunk cops then got in their car and started to drive away and speaking over their loudspeaker warning people not to drink and drive.

Songkran death toll hits 306
Wattana Khamchu
The Nation

30258052-01_big.JPG?1429134728804

Surin tops the list with 15 deaths during six-day holiday perIod

BANGKOK: -- AS SONGKRAN holidaymakers started their journey back to Bangkok and officials intensified safety measures on highways, the Road Safety Centre yesterday said that the first six days (April 9-14) of Songkran had seen 2,915 road accidents. They claimed 306 lives and left 3,070 injured.

This was an across-the-board increase from the previous Songkran's six-day period when 2,754 accidents killed 282 people and hurt 2,926 others, said Deputy Interior Minister Suthee Makboon.

Phitsanulok and Surin had the most accidents at 109 each, while Surin reported the highest deaths at 15 and the highest number of injuries at 124.

Only seven provinces recorded no road accident fatalities: Trang, Bung Kan, Phuket, Mae Hong Son, Yala, Samut Songkhram and Samut Sakhon.

On Tuesday alone, 509 accidents killed 55 people and injured 538 others. Phitsanulok recorded the most accidents at 24 cases, while Surin had the most casualties at six deaths and 31 injuries.

Police said most accidents stemmed from drunk driving at 47.15 per cent and speeding at 22.4 per cent, while a motorcycle was involved in most accidents (78 per cent).

Local roads saw most accidents (42.44 per cent) and highways (33.6 per cent). A third of such accidents occurred between 4pm and 8pm. About half of the accident victims were of working age.

Officials manning 2,247 main checkpoints nation-wide arrested 129,634 law-violating motorists, mostly for failing to wear helmets in 38,147 cases and failing to present a driver's licence in 35,376 cases, Suthee added.

As many holidaymakers started to return to work cities, especially Bangkok, traffic jams were reported on many highways. Officials intensified safety measures, including ensuring all public transport drivers were sober and all vehicle safety tools were in place, Suthee said.

Minister to the Prime Minister's Office, ML Panadda Disakula, instructed provincial authorities to keep an eye on Songkran revellers on the last day of the celebration and prevent accidents from water splashing.

Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha was concerned for travellers' safety and traffic congestion and urged authorities to strictly enforce traffic laws, deputy government spokesman Maj-General Sansern Kaewkamnerd said.

Prayut also called on motorists to drive responsibly and thanked administrative, police and military officers and all volunteers who worked hard throughout Songkran, Sansern said.

Northeastern provinces reportedly increased their bus trips by two or three times to meet the demand for returning holidaymakers.

The Bangkok (Ekamai) Bus Terminal arranged over 700 passenger buses and vans a day to support over 5,000 people expected to return to Bangkok yesterday and today.

It also had security units, including the Second Cavalry Division and Thong Lo police station, provide security at the facility.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Songkran-death-toll-hits-306-30258052.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-04-16

Not looking forward to the drive back from Koh Chang to Petchabun on the 19th,was bad enough on the way down here,getting cut up numerous times,just have to concentrate 100%,and think i have a better chance as i have been taught how to drive properly,still it almost has that feeling of going into battle.

• Like 1

I see the restriction on alcohol really worked out well. more cops sober.

Oh yeah...it worked out soooooo well!

I was on Silom on Monday...from 1 pm to 6 pm and got sloshed!

It worked like every year!

Hooray...we made it to 300+...like every year!

Not funny! mad.gif.pagespeed.ce.z6RtN005qsrqHQ4roTc

340 is a good shot. thumbsup.gif

Actually, it wasn't meant to be funny...just sort of bitter!

...and I raise you 352!

I'm all in for tomorrow below 350 (official reports that is)...

A pint is the all in bet, I don't do bitter - unless Tetley's.

So, I guess I win (364), but since in this case, everybody looses...I will let you off the hook!

wai.gif